1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So whats so great about vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ron1jed, 14 Sep 2006.

1. Ron1jed

Ron1jed What's a Dremel?

No really. Whats so great about it. I'm gonna getting it when it comes out but what the coolest features of it? I like xp alot. Only thing i would like to see in xp is 3d gui effects

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have to be honest I don't care what the OS looks like, as long as it's easy to navigate and runs all my software then I'll be happy.

3. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

3d gui effects..... Right why who give a c..p it just slow every thing down i want to power to use not my OS using it all :rock:

i'm staying with xp till sp1 anyway and then i might stay with xp anyway

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It doesnt slow anything down at all. It's hardware driven. It looks the **** and makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable unless you like living in 1995 and windows classic.

5. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

so you mean from the GPU?

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I guess it wont be running on my dual opteron system with onboard gfx then (8 or 16mb ati rage I think it is)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

GPU driven GUIs, leaves out the entire redraw operation from the CPU. Sure, it's still a mammoth to run and a dc-cpu and 2gig of ram makes it sweet but remember how much people complained when XP was released? Stuff will move on. It'll run on a 5200 or even onboard 6100/X300.

The ati rage isnt made for running a GUI on a server board, cmon now. If you wanted to use it as a workstation there are workstation boards out there with x16 slots.

8. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Yeh, Im thinking of changing to linux to learn and stuff ....

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Vista is XP with 3D effects. So there you are: that's so great about Vista. :p

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

There's more to it than that actually...

DirectX 10 is one thing that you will never get on Windows XP and from what I have seen so far, it can only mean good things for gamers who want games to be more realistic and immersive.

There's also Aero, which isn't that revolutionary if you've ever used a machine with OSX installed. It's a nice touch though.

Search is massively improved over Windows XP, as is Windows Explorer, User Accounts Control and Events Logging. Networking is also said to be improved, but I'm waiting to see the final version before making final judgements on that.

If you're happy with XP, nobody is telling you to upgrade to Vista when it comes out. ;)

11. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Maybe we should start a pool on how quickly it'll be cracked to work on XP (j/k)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It wont be, it's designed for Vista and Aero. If they do some sort of spoof the compatability wont be there in full.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And that's why you can't use any version of DirectX with Linux, right? :naughty:

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Vista looks pretty, and runs smooooth, and.... and boots quickly and, give me an hour and ile think of some more

Sam

15. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

I run XP in winsow classic. i tryed an early version of vista and didnt like it.

16. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

People running Windows Classic have no soul :geek:

17. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Good. That is the single best thing about Mac OS X vs Windows - The search on OS X (Spotlight) is awesome whereas Windows search is soooo slow. I don't know the technicalities of it, but Spotlight is very fast and doesn't seem to search the hard drives or anything - I guess it's catalogued or something. Anyway, that is largely irrelevant - Vista looks nice and apparently has a decent search.

18. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Vista is pretty good, only thing i'v had problems with is instaling Alcohol120%, when a new version of alcohol is out it'll be sorted. It's extremely fast on my pc and very smooth.

I don't really care about the search cause i'm rediculously maticulous with where everything get's saved on my pc, so I know exactly where everything is anyway. It would be handy for work where searching the network drives takes ages and co-workers put stuff anywhere and everywhere.

So far impressions are that Vista>XP, only advantage that XP has at this stage is nLite.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And extensive driver/program support. Some of the hardware I own wont have vista drivers, let alone 64bit versions which sucks ass. If im gonna upgrade to vista, it's got to be 64bit.

20. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I could be wrong here, but I think Vista has almost completely lost the registry. It's still there in some form for backwards-compatibility, but any Vista-native programs have gone to using configuration files. Should be a nice change from the maintenance standpoint.

Tags: