1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So whats so great about vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ron1jed, 14 Sep 2006.

1. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

Id have to agree. I have Vista on my Laptop and its slow and I did lose alot of my Software because there not Compatible. THe one I lost im mad about the most is my LightScribe :(. Putting XP back on here today.

2. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

No you don't. You will have a Beta/CTP/RC version. It may or may not be slow on your hardware, but you cant really judge it until it is released.

3. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Im currently running 5728 on my system and i must say i see no real perfomance lag at all. Its not like my system is exactley upto date either.

4. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

We're the only ones with soul, XP = Makeup, Makeup = Girls -- XP = Girls

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sorry to revive a bit of a stale thread, but I had to add some more things to be excited about.

Aero - Pretty, fast, helps productivity in some cases
    Search - This is great, nothing more to say about it
    Explorer - Nice and updated, breadcrumbs are quality
    Core features - things like a new networking stack, better security, etc.
    UAC - I actually leave it on and just disable the secure desktop thing (when it goes dark)
    Sidebar - Quite nice and useful with some good gadgets
    Firewall - Updated
    Parental Controls - Not useful for me, but I had a poke around and that could turn out to be a BIG feature
    Updated apps - Mail, calendar, snipping tool(damn useful), etc. All new and updated
    DX10 - Obvious, that one.
    .net 3 - I'm not a programmer, but I can't wait for the day when my email client or my archiver uses Avalon to do cool 3D effects (and accelerate the GUI, obviously).

Sorry for the list, but those are some features that I just think are awesome. There are more little reasons why using Vista is great, but those are some of my fav.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ok, you've answered the question, but in my mind that's not enough to be worth upgrading, and especially not enough to be worth putting up with the MS BS. Thanks for tha clarification though.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Aero - awesome but it doesnt work with some programs.
    Search - fan-****ing-tastic. Just type in a proggy name and hit enter, freakin awesome.
    Explorer - awkward but something I can get used to. No file/edit etc is seriously annoying. Where are the options I kept asking?!
    Core Features - meh. Old networking stack works fine and is patched to the hilt. No firewire networking = sucks ass.
    UAC??
    Sidebar Widgets - really very useful, although I hope someone brings out a feeds one that's entirely separate and not IE7 entied.
    Firewall - 3rd party, please. Along with a/v which will be 2008 and sp1 before you can freely choose and peer guardian and registry monitor etc.
    In built tools - apart from paint, never use em.
    DX10 - Crysis
    .net3 - no more faffing around with ATI control panel install. Woooo
    Installing from SATA and RAID - WOoooo
    Getting drivers from usb key and finally ditching the floppy - Woooo

Current qty of bugs in RC2 - unusable :(

8. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

What's so great about that? (genuine question, I'm not being sarcastic)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's easy to do instead of navigating through start - click click click.

Start, click on search just above it and type in like three letters and click on the program. It works well and is very much faster and saves you finding things. I have very few desktop icons for programs.
    When you click on start then programs the disk has to pre-cache it all, then your eyes need to scan where to click. It's a far more efficient process and it's very instantainious.

10. snooker

snooker What's a Dremel?

Hi ... Its been 5 years since a new OS will be available and within this time I don't think Microsoft made much improvement at all , You would think within this time and with all the so call genius working for Microsoft that they would of made a far much better OS then Vista , To be totally honest I would say its a very poor improvement

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sorry, but a Vista fanboy has to respond to this.

How is it a poor OS?
    Removal of WinFS? That had to go with the massive performance issues.
    Delaying? That was bad, but I'm glad we have a quality product now.

To present an argument you need to have some evidence to support your opinion.

12. snooker

snooker What's a Dremel?

I said its a poor improvement , not a poor OS

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You mean to run a program? Use k/b shortcuts; <Ctrl><Alt>F runs Firefox, W for Word, E for Excel, X for Explorer, N for Nero, etc. Let your fingers do the walking... ;)

One thing that bugs me about XP Search is that I can't leave the Advanced Options (like hidden files and subfolders) on by default AFAIK. Has that been sorted?

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

True. I sold mine to Steve Jobs. IMO, we're both better off that way.

15. D3DAiM

D3DAiM Slightly Stupid.

So: will I really want to use the new firewall this time, or will it be an instant turn off?

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You certainly still want *a* firewall. A hardware firewall (read: router) will always be a better option than a software one, and most people already have that as an option. There was nothing especially wrong with the XP one - not to the point of turning it off anyways, it just wasn't nearly as good as it could be. As far as I know, Vista's implementation will be about the same, probably more because of anti-trust reasons than anything else. But that's really just speculation.

17. D3DAiM

D3DAiM Slightly Stupid.

Well of course I have a substitute firewall. I think it is a much better alternative to the windows version.

18. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

So there's no search window/dialogue, you just type a program name (eg firefox) and it executes it? Like on *nix?

19. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I think Vista only really suffers now as a result of the feature cuts, such as the much touted WinFS that proved to be unworkable for release. I am sure these things will come out as enhancements within Vista service packs later, but at release without those "revolutionary" features it makes Vista seem like a gussied up version of XP that is way, way more expensive. Although much really is different in terms of what is going on underneath that sexy Aero interface. So as an end user, is it much different than XP? Probably not really.

I dont really agree with the licensing schemes and DRM stuff, however, but as always someone will break them just like they did with WGA eventually.

Oddly I dont have a good feeling about Vista though, I question it's success this time around. I see a penguin in my future...

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hmm, started using Vista yesterday (RC1) and im not incredibly impressed. I mean its very shiney and all, everything runs quite nice and it didn't even require a reboot when I turned the page file off... but everytime I try to move a file, or install aprogram, it has about 3 million questions for me, making sure im sure, telling me im able to et al - theres no need.

My graphics also arent working as swanky as they possibly could be atm, and this black start menu/taskbar is getting annoying. I can likely change it somewhere but so far I cant find where :(

So thats my main beef, all in all its very much like windows XP. The GFX Card is the only problem so far, and that may be because im using only BETA ATi drivers.

edit: oh snap, and now i cant use alt+s to post :(
    edit2: oh yea, i can see that search things being useful :)

Last edited: 31 Oct 2006
Tags: