1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So, who bought Quake 4 today? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MrWillyWonka, 21 Oct 2005.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just came back from the shop in heavy rain, now I'm soaked through, but I've gone and bought Quake 4 instead of F.E.A.R.

Installing it now, anyone else bought it?

2. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

roomate got it. said its not bad. Some nifty stuff here and there but a good buy still. Ill probably wait for a while seeing as i just bought a house and i dont know what this money thing is you speak of anymore

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Loving it so far. Does everything DOOM should have done.

- Weapons are really good. Have a really punchy feel to them compared to the weak DOOM weapons. The early machinegun is a blast!
    - Graphics are as good as DOOM (duh) but less overwhelmingly dark. The character models and level look a lot less plastic-y than the screenies suggest imho.
    - Has a great warzone atmosphere to it, that is actually quite similar to Quake 2 in many ways. Loads going on and just a mental wall of sound.
    - AI isn't amazing. Pretty dumb enemies that make up for lack of guile by coming in large waves of often suicidal attacks.
    - Is a real laugh to play. Controls are limited to move, fire, crouch, and jump. Occasional pads to press but that's about it.
    - Very cathartic to play. No pissing about with stealth or complicated missions. Just kill everything that moves.

Overall it's miles better than I expected and genuinely FUN to play. Could be the perfect antidote for the more serious, absorbing gameplay of stuff like FEAR and Brothers In Arms.

4. MrWillyWonka

First thing you go into is a battle, is this continuing off Q3? As I haven't played the main game, just the multiplayer. Unfortunatly my laptop can't handle the game, even on the lowest settings, even though the specs are quite ahead of the minimum requires. It seems to go into standby randomly, so can't play :waah: Gonna have to wait 2 weeks when I get my new system built.

But inside, it looks almost the same as Doom3!

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah it looks like it was made with a DOOM3 level editor. It picks up where Q2 left off, even mentioning the lone marine you played in Q2 during the opening cutscene.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Quake 4 is out already?

/checks play. I swear i preordered it.

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Having always loved the Quake series im loving this. Hopefully its multi-player stands the test of time as well as original quade did (atleast it did for me)
    As mookboy says, everything Doom3 should (could) have been. :thumb:

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've only got a preorder for it, came with a free Q4 t-shirt :) I had already picked up FEAR, but I'm glad to hear it sounds good so far.

How's performance graphically? About the same as Doom3? (which reminds me... gotta go see that movie) I'll go nuts if it's as demanding as FEAR is; that brings anything to a crawl :( Just curious - any widescreen support? My 2005FPW came in today (woot!!) and I've played through HL2 enough times for now to want to do that for some 16:10 fun.

9. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

I bought it after being totally dissapointed with FEAR. Just about to install it now:)
    My misses's brother got it today also and i watched him play the first level. Was very impressed so i hope the rest of the game is as good!

10. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

I'm sorry and will prob get flamed but I don't like it - installed it and played for only an hour so far and find it simple and boring. Know I need to play a bit more to get real opinion but my initial thoughts of it are'nt good.

11. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

how much did you guys buy quake 4 for? .. i got mine from cd wow (guess it will arrive monday or tuesday) for 19.99 (including a gift voucher)... pretty cheap i thought... normally newly released games are 34.99 :/

12. MrWillyWonka

BUT the £19.99 version is the cd version, The DVD version is easier to install with. I paid £27.99 for it at a local shop, could've got it for £1 cheaper online, but meh.

Been tweaking my laptop and hopefully I can start playing the game again!

13. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Runs extremely smoothly at full everything with the PC in my sig. Occasional stutters but very rare. Runs way better than Doom3 did on the same setup.

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

its D3 engine so yes widescreen is possible but not through menus, edit the cfg file :)

the machine gun owns, i use it over every other weapon so far, especially with the infinite battery flashlight :D

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

BTW. the first 2 difficulty settings are terribly easy, its kinda like, Very Easy -> Easy -> Normal -> hard.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What resolution? I've got a similarish setup... half the ram but X2 3800+@2.5. Anyways, sounds like I should be fine. Still, I'm going to wait till I play through FEAR.

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Running at 1200x1024, with ingame x2 filtering and all effects and visual magic at high. Looks peachey to these eyes - I even had to enable Vsync as the screen kept ripping from turning round too fast ;)

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll be getting this over the weekend i think. Got too much work to do with FEAR at the moment though...

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's not bad, runs fantasticly well, way better then Doom3 did, and that ran really well on my box considering(its rubbish). The play is fun, if rather reptetive. Bits get pretty boring, and the lone-wolf thing is overdone, the bits that made you feel like you were just part of one squad in a very large war were much more convincing then the usual "only you can do this". I'm tired of playing a hero, I wanna play a regular joe whos getting it as bad as the rest of 'em.

20. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Fear is soo much better than Quake 4 imo.

Tags: