1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So, who bought Quake 4 today? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MrWillyWonka, 21 Oct 2005.

1. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

Dang guys, theres SPOILER tags for a reason...

And I agree to the damn is to doom 3 'ish. Its not bad if you just want to spend time kill stuff, which is fun. But its not fun enough to drive to finish the game in a short amount of time. I'm sure it will take me a while to beat it.

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Come on mate, what did you expect from a first person shooter, marriage elements? Anyone who thinks FEAR is any different from this is kidding themselves, it may have different graphics, bullet time and AI, but its still just a corridor shooter, and the levels are infinately less well designed and made then Quake 4 levels, they are quite possibly some of the least inspired levels ever,I've played all of them 50 times before, with the possible exception of the roof ones.

I think both are fantastic games, but if you're are expecting squad semi-RPG's with moral dillemas and branching plot lines, you're playing the wrong genre.

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

it would've been nice if Q4 had much more of the squad bits like at the beginning and far far less of the stupid lone ranger stuff
    but its still fun :)

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I agree, and I said something exactly like that in a thread about Q4, might have been this one further back. But lots of people are seeminly complaining because its a game where you shoot people and thats it, but, thats always what it was going to be like.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Well, I just finished it and what can I say.
    Possibly the ending is a little weak but kinda what I expected but other than that it entertained me all the way through so imo its done its job and by no means is it a terrible game.
    But then, its all just personal opinion :thumb:

6. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

I agree totally with the few posts above. I completely enjoyed Q4 from start to finnish. It's a great rollercoaster ride of no brains blasting, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else!

There are some truely wonderful set pieces and i shall be playing it through again for sure! looking forward to getting into multiplayer too.

It's far better than FEAR imo and it gets a big thumbs up from me:)

7. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

SPOILER!

I gotta admit I liked this game... the cinematic sequences anyway... the sequence onboard the hannibal just before you land in your drop pod is very cool indeed.... but then it's just boring corridor after corridor of grunts... they even put zombies in it which annoyed me.

The ending sucked big time... who wants to defeat a giant brain surrounded by a couple of enemies?

8. Idioteque

I believe S.T.A.L.K.E.R is an fps... and that involves a good plot, rpg elements and maybe a couple of dilemmas...

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I didn't say a good plot was out of the question, I was just saying most FPS's aren't based around plot. And lets face it, the RPG elements in stalker will most likely be limited to one or two stats, and maybe having to eat, there won't be any shots accuracy being decided by a dice roll.

10. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

What i meant was that most shooters at least have an element of HECTIC game play, like CoD, and FEAR can be hectic at times, but mainly just chilling. With all the waves of enemies in Q4 i would expect there to be furious and hectic elements to it, but there isnt. There is a crap load of enemies, but you and your squad mates progress nonchalantly through each level. And i still cant believe that the outside distance background is a static image, it looks terrible.

11. Idioteque

:(
    I stand corrected :(

To be honest I can't stand rpgs anyway so it's all good.

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Ive now got FEAR and Quake 4, and I'm playing them both. As a 2005 single player experience, FEAR beats Q4 hands down. But knowing that Q4 is meant to be played with half your brain turned off means I'm still enjoying it just as much.

13. Silver Shamrock

So your saying FEAR is a real thinking man's game then? Come off it, it's just as big and dumb as Q4. Methinks there's too many people taking in the media waffle .

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agree, also something I've noticed going back to Q4 after FEAR is that Im finding it very pacey, and extremely hard not to suck at,where before FEAR I was thinking "I wish I'd gone for the harder setting". It seems FEAR's bullet time has made me crap at FPS's :eek:

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Errr no. I didn't say that at all. I think you're putting words into my mouth there matey.

I am saying it requires a little more brain power to play FEAR than Q4. The enemy AI is a million times more... intelligent, for starters. FEAR imho offers a much more interesting story (cliched maybe, but I want to find out what's going on), the controls and combat is more involving and allows for more tactical thought and variety of execution than Q4. Overall, it has all the requisite layers that a fps in 2005 ought to have, ticking all the boxes that PC gamers expect from a game these days. However I'm also saying Q4 isn't a bad game for not having these things, and infact appears to be willfully dumb and simplistic - qualities that can also make for a different, but just as exciting game. Which it is.

16. Silver Shamrock

17. MrMan

MrMan What's a Dremel?

Maybe you should play Sims :idea:

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Just picked up a copy. Very nice graphics, runs maxed out at 1280x1024 (no AA), so at least the engine is efficient. Simplistic gameplay - point and shoot, no questions asked. In a way, it makes a nice change from all the games that try to have a serious, in-depth plot. I'm also glad to see it's not a "dark" game like Doom 3, which was ludicrous.

19. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

got a copy as well, we should start a "Minimum requirements" contest.

who's playing this on the crappiest hardware??

AMDXP 2100, 512 DDR333, 9600XT(OC'd). anyone got anything worse??

and sure it's a mindless shooter, that looks hella pretty. (Or would, if my system didn't suck.)

I'll have to get around to picking up a copy of fear... eventually (I did preorder it, but traded it in for quake 4 before I left the store.)

I like the dialogue by the characters, and squad play, deff better than doom3's crab drone thingies, (though those were quite baddass too)

20. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I am running on AMD xp2000, 9800pro AIW, 1 gig ram. Mine runs medium quality 1280*1024 pretty much ok. FPS slows a little in busy scenes

Tags: