1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education So who's awake and why? One for us night owls.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 14 Oct 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been an appalling sleeper most of my adult life. Invariably falling asleep around the half past eight mark and then having very broken sleep until about 4am. This practice seemed to have little effect on my life but the last 7 years and now suffer from 'Non restorative sleep syndrome' where I finally wake feeling like I have done a 12 hour shift on a building site. Tried varying my night time routine but even if I go to bed at midnight I will still be wide awake at 4. Tried pills but the only effect was really vivid dreams which I must admit was quite good.

That is my brief story what is yours? O viruses many of you will work nights, I have never done that, what is it like?

Last edited: 14 Oct 2015
  2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Me. Reason, 4 hour time difference but it is 2am here now and I am prone to going to sleep at about 4am and waking at 7.30am except on Sunday when I wake up any time between 11am and 1pm.

I think I suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out), which is ridiculous really. I need more discipline but I finish work at 10pm and I am more of a night person anyway.

I feel it really effected me at school and uni.

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Had to take my parents at the airport for 4:15am and have to get a 2 and a half hour train to London soon to find somewhere to live, then a train back tonight. Won't get home till 11pm. FML

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

had a nice meal lastnight and felt dozey afterwards, crashed out around 9, been up since 3

5. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Woke up a little while ago so I could shower and make myself pretty before I get the bus to work.

My sleep pattern iis fairly terrible. Left to my own devices, I will basically fall into a 30 hour day, and just have rolling bed times.

Work is good at keeping that in check. Unless there is a new game out. Then nothing stops me.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I pretty much have a set sleep pattern but it's kind of annoying.

After 5 years of having to get up at 6am, I now pretty much everyday wake up at anything from 5am to 7am and fall asleep at around 9pm.

Most nights I wake up around 4 times during the night and then I feel tired all day.

7. creative

creative 500rwhp

me.....

But im in Australia... :D

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I will admit my original post was submitted later than I intended but that was because I woke at midnight and remained so till 1am. My cat surprising did not bother me at 4am and although I surfaced I managed to nod back off again till 4:45am which was a rare bonus. No doubt normal, for want of a better word, service will resume tonight.

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

0220 here and I just got home from work.

My sleep schedule is naturally erratic and is made worse by a horrible work schedule.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

10:29, im awake, been awake since about 5AM went to sleep about 2AM. Today is going to be a long day.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm awake because its daytime and I'm at work :)

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm usually awake at night because if I sleep my Mrs says I snore like a train and I can;t go back to sleep unless she has - so more often than not its hours before I can go back to sleep - even when shes in the spare room she can still hear me - I say ear plugs job done :)

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Pretty much broken sleep for me, dependant on whether the nerve pains in my left leg are running at full tilt or not.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Glad to see you did not let me down.

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I can recommend the earplug route - just the cheapy foam ones from B&Q. My wife uses them (she says I snore, but she hasn't yet offered up any proof!) and swears by them (rather than swearing at me)

16. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I have polyphasic sleep cycles. In total i'll sleep for about 5 hours in one 24 hour frame. Due to my particular mental illness, I've always suffered from insomnia. When that wasn't taking effect, i'd have broken sleep, normally up to 4 hours a night. To actually catch up on sleep, I have to have hour naps, up to about 5 times a day, most of which are in the evening and night.

It's a bit strange apparently, but it works for me at the moment.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  17. Xir

Xir Modder

I spent 6 years working 12hour shifts at night only, so my "normal" bedtime then was about 8 in the morning.
    After a while you can't switch cycles anymore, in the long run, it breaks you.

Thank god I switched jobs and now work "normal" days.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I woke at 4.30, late for me, got up to make a cup off coffee and discovered that my sense of balance has gone walkabout, literally. Might be Peripheral neuropathy relating to radiation treatment for cancer 6 years ago the effects of which can kick in many years post treatment or Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo also related to the treatment.

It is quite weird in a sort of fun way. Seems to have eased off somewhat now.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

4am cat out, coffee to hand, time to watch the new series of the Returned on More 4. I wonder why the Channel 4 network is showing it on this channel?

20. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I have an American fiancée and I therefore work night shifts. :D

I'm due to move there in about a year with any luck.