1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Social networking costs firms £130 million a day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Sep 2007.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i would laugh it they blocked everything and made £130 million less.......

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have a myspace account but I visit it so rarely, never seen the attraction to it. Never signed up to facebook either, again, no attraction to it. Most of my lunchbreaks at work are spent either having a nosey through here or on the air arms owners club forum, that's all the social stuff I do online (apart from chatting to the mrs(she lives in Holland :( ))

3. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

what's emo short for ?

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

*blocked all emails from *@facebookmail.com and *@myspace.com from all my email accounts.
    *denyed access to facebook.com and myspace.com on router @ home.
    :rock:

Bit-tech, my love for you is pure :D :dremel:

5. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

7. righteous_slave

righteous_slave I know what a bloody Dremel is

Some one check my math please, but I come up with 7,433,333 hours wasted a day, making 929,166 person's 8 hr days wasted on social networking sites. Are these firms that big that they are employing that many people and paying them that much a day to actually be losing that much money? Someone's cooking the books to generate news says my money.

That took about ten minutes of my work time that can be added into those figures.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I think that is country wide.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

My school used to let me go on Bit but then it was blocked :(

10. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Oh big deal. If they block one site then people will just find others to waste time on. Expecting your workforce to be 100% productive for their entire working day just isn't feasible, and trying to shock people into thinking our workforce is a bunch of lazy slacking fools with stories like this helps no-one.

I've seen it time and time again in all forms of workplace from schools to offices and workshops, even market stalls. People are going to find a way to doss on the job at some point, you may as well just accept it as a fact of life and move on. Promoting it obviously won't help, but being draconian and blocking everything you can won't help either because you'll end up with an unhappy workforce. (Stupidly, its companies that pay less, that are most often draconian about their internet access and suchlike. If they pay peanuts people are going to value their job less, if they try and force people to work they're eventually going to start looking for other jobs where the management arent total asshats.)

In my experience, the best system is the unspoken rule, as in, no-one says it, but if you asked you'd probably get 'Don't work yourself to death, you're allowed a little leisure, but remember you're on the clock and only do it if there's nothing important that has to be done. We're the management and we know you'll do it somehow and somewhen, so as long as you do it in a non disruptive way and get your work done, we're cool with it.'

Tags: Add Tags