1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

socket939 cpu upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webbyman, 1 Jul 2006.

1. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

my dads looking to upgrade to a socket 939 system from socket a...

i can either buy him a new s939 cpu or sell him my own one which is a winnie 3000+

is it worth selling him mine, and upgrading to something like an 'overclockable' opteron 146 by using my money + the money i'll get off my dad for it?...

** my s939 winnie 3000+ doesn't overclock for s***t :(

am i likely to seem much performance improovement, i have a dfi ultra - d, 512mb x 2 pc4400 corsair ddr, arctic cooler, enermax 485watt psu, so theres nothing else holding me back....

thanks in advance :) :thumb:

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Your best bet would be to sell teh venice to your dad etc, saves you upgrading your entire rig try and get a 3800 X2 though, most of them hit 2.5ghz+ with ease.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sell yours to your dad, get an AM2 rig

4. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

but from what i've seen theres no real improovements?

4% max?

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It's probably not worth going AM2 unless you've got the budget for the investment in new RAM and a new motherboard. You'd be best off selling him your chip and picking up a good X2 3800+ (which go for really good prices now) and clocking that.

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

my 3800 x2 is at 2.4, but my ram is holding me back, and its at stock voltage. shouldnt be that hard to get it over 2.5 if I wanted to, I'd definitely go for it.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2006
  7. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

do the new 3800+'s overclock well still?

or shall i look for one in the second hand market?

8. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

The 01/06 steppings 3800's where the best clocking mostly hitting 3Ghz+, I've got a 0525 CCBWE XPMW batch 246, thats from june 2005 and clocks like mad, so it's pretty much luck of the draw, it might be a better idea to go second hand, that way your garneteed something good :)

9. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

are second hand in short supply? i've have a quick browse on here, hexus and ebay and theres none around realy :( any ideas, or know anyone?

if i take more than a week to put this new computer together for my dad, he will start moaning again :hehe: lol

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The reason I said AM2 is because AMD's next Revision will be pure DDR2 based, so you may aswell get the stuff now rather then buying more DDR now and then DDR2 later.

11. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i can understand you thinking, but im not that rich at the moment, and already have a fairly decent gig of ram and a good motherboard which i haven't realy put to use yet :baby:

12. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Dunno what sort of price you'll be willing to pay for one... but just to give you an idea... I ordered a brand new retail x2 3800 from Aria on Friday for just £136.xx including VAT :rock:

It was despatched on Friday as well, so it'll be here tomorrow with any luck :cooldude:

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

thanks, £163.33 inc. from aria seems the best price retail + brandnew at the moment, any idea if they will clock well though? or if your's does :D