1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Sofa

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by rowin4kicks, 6 Jan 2009.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

I have been simply fiddling around with my new DSLR (D40) scince i got it for Christmas
    and i came up with this picture which i shot in raw
    I intentionally shot without flash to try and capture the texture of the sofa

[​IMG]

As this is my first time using any form of dslr any criticism is welcomed.

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Keep on shooting, shoot in your sleep, shoot in your car, shoot walking around, shoot the stuff no one looks at. And when all else fails, keep shooting. Nothing is more evident in the words of 'practice makes perfect' then in photography. It is the one thing that always gets better over time. Shoot for an hour a day for a week, then 2 for a week. You'll see your shots improve, guaranteed.

Keep at it!

:)

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It looks like your camera's light meter was a little confused by the scene. It was fighting between the dark shadows in the couch and the intense highlight coming in through the window, all the while trying to make it all 18% gray. As a result, you were left with a blown out window and some minor detail in the couch.

The best way to accentuate the texture in an object is to light it from one side, generally perpendicular to the camera. In this particular photograph the dominant light source is coming from directly behind the subject, straight into the camera. As a result, the sofa is silhouetted against the window, and you lost the texture you were looking for.

If you're able, turn the couch 90°, then try the shot with the window either at your left or right. See what happens when the light cuts across the material.

For what it's worth, you captured some decent texture in the edge of the drapery.

-monkey