1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Software control of external fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 4 Jul 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have a server cabinet that has 2x 120mm 240v fans mounted in the roof.

They are far too noisy to have running at full speed during office hours, so I am looking for a way of controlling the fan speed via the server itself.

The plan is to replace the fans with 12v fans, and somehow run them from the USB port of the server and use some form of software to control the speed based on the temperature of the server.

Is this possible?

Should I instead use some form of 240v thermostat and just run the fans based on the ambient temperature?

Suggestions? :brrr:

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I think you should go down the thermostat route. Perhaps something like this? Though, this will just turn the fans on when it reaches a set temperature.

I doubt 12v fans on 5v will push much air and I presume the need for two 240v fans means there's a fair bit of heat to get rid of.

Edit: Some googling has revealed this but its quite pricey and the description makes it sound like not all 240v fans are speed controllable.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2013
  3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

The fans don't need to be as powerful as they are really. The cabinet only has a 24 port switch and a PowerEdge T110 in it (plus cables etc). It is a 27u cabinet though, and so I guess could hold several 2u servers, in which case you would want a lot of cooling.

I might have a look at getting a thermostat though - thanks