1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Software to manipulate STL files

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Arboreal, 18 Apr 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have been given some STL files for a 3D printed case and would like to mess around with them.

Win 10 opens a 3D draggable view, but what I want to do is 'flatten' them to 2D so that they could be used as templates to make the case in alu sheet.

What's around that would do that?

2. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Does Sketchup work well with STL files?

Arboreal likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There are a bunch of STL editors out there - I can't offer any recommendations though

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Arboreal

Thanks guys
    It looks like Sketchup can open STLs, so I'll have a crack with the free version

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I use sketch-up. You might need an extension to export them back to .stl (if you want do that)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

7. Arboreal

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

One thing I learned translating cad from sketchup: Lock the Z coordinate when tracing a SU export. The polygon-based stuff will fudge coordinates to make a connection between points. Sometimes that means they are not flat/square.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

If you have one or two objects I can create flatten projections for you. If you want to do it yourself, you may want to look at the papercraft community. A quick web search turn up this site https://tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/, no idea if it is any good. Reminds me I meant to try the following out (http://www.instructables.com/id/Project-Paper-clone/) for when I absent from the office...

If you want to get really fancy Fusion360 has a personal use license that is free. It can import STL and allow you to trace them to 2d. Or use the sheet metal tool that and build it up from scratch.

10. Arboreal

Thanks @Dr. Coin
    I seem to be getting in very deep fast here
    Hahahaha! We have a 'cardboard' clone of my daughter. She was in a show about 3 years ago and as part of the marketing my friens who has a sign shop printed a life size cutout of her and put it on foam board.
    After the show finished we were given it. It is in the spare room and looks out onto the street; it has given a few people a fright!!

11. totalitymodz

totalitymodz What's a Dremel?

If you haven't managed to do this yet I could do it for you..im assuming you want the stl files turned into 2d drawings.. Owner of coreldraw. Vectric. Solid works etc.. I can do this very easily and assuming the stls are of solids? If not can easily repair and make them usable.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. Arboreal

Hi @totalitymodz, I haven't made any progress as the people I have been talking to have all given me contradictory advice about how to make this in aluminium!

Thank you for your kind offer, I have a clearer idea what I need to do with the STL files and would like to clarify things.

I will explain my current thoughts tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Essentially, the ~6mm thick printed elements may not translate easily to 1.5mm alu, but I know that there are a few things to be taken from the design.

I will return with a clearer head.

Thanks again