1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster solder irons are hot :s

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kidron, 3 May 2004.

1. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

haha no good, just burned myself soldering/desoldering chips on an ecu board for my friend, held solding iron down and turned away and my hand slowly dipped down and i got a nice inch long , cm wide scab/scar on my knee now, boy that hurt like a :jawdrop:

2. Spook

Spook What's a Dremel?

I was soldering some wires for my PSU, and my GF decides to come check it out. The soldering iron had been on for about an hour at that moment, when she leans against my desk, accidently hitting the soldering iron's wire with her leg. It falls of the desk, and instinctly (sp?) she grabs it. Her left hand closed all the way around the tip. To make matters worse, it was one of those 45-degree bent tips, going just nicely around her index finger... That + the fact that it was a 60W soldering iron that had been on for an hour, made me pretty unpopular. I had to promise her never to solder again while she was home. Think she yelled at me for an hour, with her hand under the faucet. Luckily (sp?) she didn't get a scar, or my modding days had been over...

I never quite figured out how it was my fault, tho...:worried:

3. VolcanBaru

VolcanBaru What's a Dremel?

I had one of the lookalike Antex Gascat Soldering Irons for portable use. I got badly burned by it about 5 years ago when I noticed something falling off the table out the corner of my eye, and reflxivley caught it... hot side landed in the palm of my hand and I closed my hand around it before I realised what I'd done. Due to initial catch being a reflex action, took a good second or two to register. I had a 2" long yellow / blackened area across the area below my left thumb on the palm of my hand. And it hurt. A lot.

One suggestion to potential soldering iron burn victims - get some of those special savlon burns plasters. After holding it under cold water for afew mins, I applied one. These are gel - like, and act as a false skin. Once applied, they seem to bond to the skin, including the burned area, and do not fall off for over a week. I have to admit that I was fairly sceptical until I tried them, but when it came off the skin was nearly healed and there is virtually no scarring - the hand now looks 98% perfect. (Still cannot 'feel' that area of my hand though)

Those plasters may be pricey, but they're worth it. I for one am definitley glad that I had one handy.

Edit: I still have the iron, after replacing the catalyst part (which was gummed up with burned skin - yeuch!) it still works fine. Very useful for fixing the car wiring, where mains is not always handy.

THATS EXCALTY WHAT HAPPEN TO ME!!!!

4. steelydoubt

steelydoubt What's a Dremel?

the worsty i have been burned was w/ one of thoose pen irons. the tip hit the skin at the base of my thumb. it hurt for a minute or two, but went away. after that i noticed where my skin had bubbled up in blisters. this was yeasterday, when i soldering leds.

5. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

once i was tinning the tip of my soldering iron and i dripped some on my leg....

6. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx What's a Dremel?

Oh pfft, soldering iron burns are weak :p

A few years back I was using my oxy/acet torch for an extended period of time... after I finished I hastily put things together and was packing stuff away, I was folding the cord for the thorch and I accidentally folded it back letting the still VERY hot tip touch the underside of my arm. One of the most painful things ever :p

-Excelsior

7. SharpS

SharpS What's a Dremel?

I got 2 stories, one when I was in high school, I was using a torch and just finished sealing a copper pipe, my hand crossed the open blue flame. Yee outch! :waah: :duh:

And another time in electronics class, a lot of goofs would fool around with soldering irons. Would put a cold soldering iron near someone to freak them out. Heheh. Well my this one dude did it to a guy and it was on, and he told him it was on, and he thought he was bluffing so it he put the the whole side of the iron on his hand. Haha! nice scar tissue there. LOL His wailing in pain was priceless. :lol:

8. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

oh well we all burn ourselves once in a while

9. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Well I was once using my brothers (expensive) soldering iron, but it had the wrong tip on it for what I wanted to do. So I turned it off and waiting until (I thought) it had cooled enough. The tip and barrel were cold, but when I unscrewed it it slipped a little, the barrel came off and the still red and glowy fillament inside dropped onto my finger....Geeez it hurt. Yet somehow I still had the presence of mind to pick up the barrel, screw it back on, put the iron in its stand then walk (not run) to the sink....

No scar though :disappointed:

10. bamsefar

bamsefar What's a Dremel?

Anyone stepped on a soldering iron? Did it about 3 months ago. A 25W do alot of damage to human skin (got it in my chin one time), so I expected the worst when I realized I had stepped on it. First it felt cold. Really cold, and then like if I were dancing barefeeted on the sun :p

When I got it cooled down I saw a 2cm long and about 0.5cm deep melting mark under my foot. Yay, finally some scars, but the bloody thing healed, and today you can't see anything. But it hurts from time to time :waah:

11. [->>Curly<<-]

[->>Curly<<-] What's a Dremel?

you are right they r hot i remeber i tuched the srow of my 1 to hold the bit in place and i got second degree burns and i also had the mark of the scrow in my thinger for about 1 mounth

12. duffman3

duffman3 What's a Dremel?

i was soldering the d0 point on my xbox, loose hands aquward angle, it just kind slowly sliped, so i kind of batted it away, it was my hand or the xbox, burnt the **** out of my thumb

13. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I just burned through the matress with a soldering iron... no soldering on the bed. Yes soldering irons do hurt, but not as bad as shocks...

14. SaintNicster

SaintNicster What's a Dremel?

burned through the... matress? :confused: uh... ok...

I'm had only a few burns... Luckily, I didn't touch the tip, but rather the barrel(sp?) leading to it. No scars, just a tingling sensation...

15. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

I did a bit of soldering of the first time in a long time at the weekend. The first burn was on my finger, the cable got stuck in my chair whilst moving slightly. The second on was on my leg (I was wearing shorts). I was reaching down to pick something up from the floor with the iron in my hand. Finally I burnt another finger :rolleyes:

16. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

let see how many times have i burned my self with soldering irons

at least a dozen times. i have one area on my one of my fingers where there are no finger prints, they kinda fade away, also this other time i was playing with a butane microtorch, i wasa bending some glass rods well guess what i burnded my self on some semi-molten glass, and it didn't stop hurting for 8 hrs.

17. kobaj

kobaj Banned

i was once soldering and forgot to turn off my soldering iron so after about 2 hours for my lunch brake i came back thinking my soldering iron was off grabbed the shaft in my hand( the soldering iron was on 30 watt mode ouch.) the next few days i had a long blister down the middle of my hand and it was accualy sort of inturesting to play with the puss inside by pushng it to one end of it to the other( inside the blisster, i didnt pop it)when all of a sudden my sister comes running in andpushes my hand a little to far puss was every were, all the skin on the blister ripped off. the pain didnt leave for about a month (no joke)

18. Xenocide

Xenocide What's a Dremel?

A few weeks ago i was building a theremin for a friend, i put the soldering iron down, and the "shaft" dipped and was resting on the kitchen work surface. Not noticing i picked up the iron and contiuned doing stuff, leaning on the area where it had just been.

It didnt register for.. along time, lol

i moved slightly to find my arm was stuck to the work surface, lol.

Nice 1cm^2 burn, and a scorch mark on the kitchen thing, mum wasnt happy :(

19. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

at school one science lesson we had finished an esperimant with bunsen burners. (yr 8 i think) so we had jus had the whole its hot pick it up by the base thing.

we had used a trypod as we were buring copper oxide and carbon i think with no oxygen inside to see what happened.

so as we were putting the stuff away i flipped the heatproof gauze off (glowing white with heat( dip it in the water to cool it down) while im off doing this my friend picks up the trypod by the top and now is branded with the name of the trypod in his hand.

my favaorate trick to show people is how long can you hold your hand in a fryer set at 190c. (you make a good thick batter mix. wet your first 2 fingers and dip it in the batter flour and then in the mix and get a nice thick layer on your hand and dunk your fingers in the fryer.) i was showing this trick to someone and a bit of batter dripped off my finger(or the chicken strip i was holding) into the fryer and the oil splashed uponto my arm and i got a funky blister on my wrist (if it scars it will look like i stabbed my wrist but haddnt got the balls to carry on with it lol)

20. Goldfish

Goldfish What's a Dremel?

Yeah... soldering irons are hot.

I've got a Propen gas soldering iron... ooh baby that can get VERY hot. In fact, I acidentally made the tip go nearly transparent hot once by accient (I know, that sounds stupid, but I was prepping and realised I was taking longer to put the shrink wrap on than anticipated and raelised it was still running on air! Yeash!).

Another fun one is when de-soldering joints backwards, and having solder flicked in your face. Thankfully I wear glasses, so none got in my eyes but now ive got some tiny solder burns on my cheek! Hey, if i left them there, I could have been like that guy in Die Another Day! :D

I usually prod myself with a soldering iron at least once in every job... from my LCD attempts I've now got what looks like a freckle on the back of my right hand (after removing the iron with my left hand... doh!) and a melted dip in my left thumbnail (yow, that hurts!!)