1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SOLVED. DVD Drive not reading anything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pimonserry, 21 Mar 2009.

1. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

So, I decided to reinstall Rome: Total War (3 CDs) and I put the first CD in (it's old, so a lil bit scratched, but easily in good enough condition to be read) and it goes in, DVD drive lights are on, no major spinning noise, but not silent either.

My Computer registers that a disc has been put in (icon changes from drive to a pic of a CD) but when you try to 'open' the CD it says no disc is inserted, and ejects the drive tray.

The same thing happens with CD2 of Rome: Total War, which is almost unscratched.

The same thing happens with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which is a DVD.

I've checked for obvious things, like power plugged in, IDE cable plugged in to drive and motherboard, but I can't see anything.

It's the first time it's happened, but then again I haven't used the drive in ~2 months.

Anyone got any ideas why it's decided not to read anything properly?

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Dust bunny on the lens?

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Didn't think of the lens, I'll take a look in the morning probably, 'cause I'd have to take the whole thing apart ( :( )

Realistically, it probably is something as simple as that.

Edit: I tried blowing into the drive while it was open, to no avail.
    Guess it will have to wait 'til morning.

Double edit:
    Nevermind, a quick uninstall in Device Manager, reboot, then reinstall has it reading again. Fixed! Aha.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2009