Notebooks **SOLVED** Laptop stuck at 800mhz :-(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WarrenJ, 11 Jan 2018.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

Couldn’t you just reset the UEFI to defaults and save it? That would reset it. :)

2. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

Nothing was actually removed and resetting the CMOS would be more effort that its worth. The battery also wasn't removed only disconnected which is accessible from only removing the back cover.

3. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

Yea I'm not sure it was the resetting of the CMOS that fixes the problem as the CMOS battery is still connected to the motherboard when the battery is disconnected, if i was forced to guess I'd say the battery itself, or something dependent on the battery, was sending a BD PROCHOT signal to the CPU and telling it to downclock as BD PROCHOT is (unlike just PROCHOT(afaik)) a signal sent to the CPU to say some other component has detected overheating.

Sorry for the thread highjack. :)

4. WarrenJ

From Notebook Review on ThrottleStop

"BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional prochot. PROCHOT stands for processor hot which is the signal that is activated within the CPU when it reaches approximately 100C to 105C depending on the model number. This signal is what initiates thermal throttling so the CPU can slow down and keep from over heating. Intel included a bi-directional feature so if something else like a GPU is running too hot, it would be able to send a PROCHOT signal directly to the CPU and force it to cool down so the entire laptop cools down. Very few laptops seem to use this type of throttling. This feature was added for the Asus G51. Disabling this will allow your CPU to continue to run at full speed. Disabling this will not prevent your CPU from thermal throttling at its normal Intel set thermal throttle temperature. By default this is locked and you will need to go into the Options window to unlock it so you can toggle it on and off."

Everyday is a school day.

5. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

The mystery is what was sending the BD PROCHOT signal, the ThrottleStop guide on Notebook Review mentions the GPU but i guess theoretical it could've been being sent by something else, geeking out a bit i found this thread on Notebook Review interesting.

6. WarrenJ

Looking into this issue, the BD PROCHOT signal can be generated by several areas of the laptop with temperatures set by the manufacturer. During my research it had been noted this signal can activated as low as 85degrees.