1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] New Dell Inspiron 6400 sound/process help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Vaz, 29 Jan 2008.

1. Vaz

Vaz What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,
    I recieved my first laptop today. It's a Dell Inspiron 6400. The specification is as follows:

Dell Inspiron LaptopIntel Pentium Dual-Core T2080 Processor(1.73GHz)
    2GB of DDR RAM160GB Hard Drive
    15.4" TFT display, WXGA resolution (1280 x 800)
    Graphics: Intel Media Accelerator 950 - up to 256MB
    8x DVD+/-RW Drive
    Wireless 802.11A/B/G
    Operating system: Microsoft Vista Home Premium

However.. is it normal for a new laptop to be running: 70-75 processes?
    Also when I first played the .wma sample tracks in windows media player it took approx 20 seconds for them to start/switch. MP3's seem to be fine. On Windows Live Messenger the sound for the nudges comes a second later. Other application sounds seem to be instant?

Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks.

edit:
    Hi guys. After a whole day of messing about I finally figured it. Basically I had to do the following:
    right click on the speaker icon in the taskkbar>select playback devices>select speakers>click properties (if a dialogue box doesnt pop open)> select: enhancements & then tick "disable all enhancements".

By doing this it solved the audio problem. As for the programs.. well it doesnt seem to be slowing my system down so doesnt matter. I did uninstall some rubbish such as McAffie and other programs which I dislike.:thumb:

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  2. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I am not sure why the speaker stuff should have effected it this way, but it may be a driver issue or bios on the motherboard. etc.