1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Solved: Nikon RAW+JPEG, no RAW

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by eeevan, 3 Jun 2009.

1. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

WTF.

I just came back from a photo-outing and realized that all my pictures that were shot RAW+JPEG (at the same time) only captured two, identical JPEGS.

I'm browsing the D300 in windows explorer, but I noticed that photos taken only in RAW are showing up...

Has anyone ever heard of such a problem?

Also, I'm using the latest firmware.

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

You are seeing the same image because windows extracts the impeded JPG in a raw file and uses it for thumbnails. Of you used real image software, you'd see a difference based on the JPG settings on your D300. Try looking at a list view, and you should see one JPG and one NEF for every file name. Sort by file type and delete the JPGs.

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Why are yo shooting in RAW+JPEG anyway?

4. Jumeira_Johnny

I don't think he meant to be. Hence the confusion of why windows is displaying 2 of each image which appear to both have JPG setting baked in.

5. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

That's a good point Johnny- I'll have to double check when I get home.

oz- I was shooting RAW+JPEG because I can't for the life of me get NEF thumbnails on Vista x64. I preview the JPEGs, then edit the RAWs.

6. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I use Picasa photo viewer to quickly preview the NEF shots, it intergrates quite nicely into vista 32bit. or according to here you should be able to download the nef codec and then use the 32 bi version of picture viewer from here ‘\Program Files (x86)\Windows Photo Gallery\’. could be worth a try

7. Jumeira_Johnny

your 300 should have been boxed with ViewNX if not CaptureNX2. Both are...written by engineers and a tad awkward, but very powerful once you learn how to use them. If not, check with your local Nikon dealer, occasionally they give ViewNX away to try and boost sales.

8. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

update:

I plugged it in at home, on my Vista computer and everything worked fine. Both NEF and JPEG were present.

Thanks for the tips though, I think i'll be giving CaptureNX2 a try anyways...

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Why not just download View NX. You can do minor adjustments in it like EV compensation etc, and it's free.

10. leprakawn

leprakawn Can I guess what you are thinking?

I experienced the same issue as mentioned from above, but now I would like to take this one up a notch.

I installed VNX, opened it, plugged my camera in, and it never appeared on the display. I could see it in Explorer, but not VNX. Then I thought about loading my memory card into my printer's port, but that was a no-go as the files cannot be read for some odd reason.

Does anyone here happen to have any useful suggestions?

Many thanks!

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Try just a straight card reader.

12. leprakawn

leprakawn Can I guess what you are thinking?

Thanks for the suggestion, Jumeira. I will see if I can borrow one from work to try that out.