1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Solved - Sabertooth Z77 no POST/BIOS/video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elAwesome, 28 Dec 2012.

1. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

Today, I recieved my new hardware. It's an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with an Intel 3770k.
    I took a piece of cardboard and placed it between my glass desk an the mobo, then built up the rest around (3HDDs and one SSD), then connected it all to the PSU (all on my desk, looks quite funny. I still have to build a case for it^^)

However, when I start ist using a screwdriver on the two PWR-SW pins, the fans start turning, the regular boot procedure begins, and so on. I want to boot onto my external HDD that I connected via USB. But for a few secs, the boot_device-LED shows up, an then turns off again. The fans and the little green power LED stay on, but nothing happens. Pressing delete or F8 doesen't help. I connected my Apple Cinema Display to the mobo via DisplayPort.
    I actually could install my GTX 680 and check if it gets better, but I didn't because I wasn't sure with the heat it produces. I have everything lying on a piece of cardboard, I didn't want to overdo it...
    PSU is a brand new Seasonic 750W. Should be more than enough!!

I actually don't expect it to boot up as all drives connected (except the external HDD, which is MBR)are formatted for OS X. But I should at least reach the BIOS.

Thanks!

Alex

Btw, this is how it looks so far:
    Show image.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  2. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Have you made sure the 8 pin CPU connector is correct and not a PCIe power cable?

Try with no drives etc just to see if you get BIOS flash?

Could be something to do with the monitor perhaps?

Just throwing out suggestion's really???

3. elAwesome

Yep, all power cables are double-checked.

I'll try without any drives.

Edit: No, no success without drives.
    It might be that the monitor needs special drivers (cause it's apple), but that would surprise me since it's still nothing more than a monitor.

Do you think installing the GTX680 will help?

4. elAwesome

Okay, short update: Took it all apart. Completely.
    All CPU pins seem to be fine.
    Built it back together, removed memory sticks -> Memory LED flashed up. That's good! That should indicate that the mobo isn't dead.

Okay, so even if I oversaw a bent pin, the CPU LED should light, shouln't it?
    After my logic, I can exlude CPU, Mobo and RAM from being damaged. I know that all drives used to work about a week ago, so I suspect the PSU?

5. elAwesome

It seems that the USB ports on the I/O work, because my mouse turns on (the lights go on). That should be a good sign, shoudln't it?

6. elAwesome

This is really urgent, is someone able to help?

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Does the system post at all? Do you hear the post Bios Beep?

The monitor shouldn't matter as it's simply connected via hdmi/dvi/bga with associated windows drivers doing the work to send output.

And are we sure the monitor is actually working?

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Hmm, try this -->

Use a VGA connector for the monitor over (what looks like) an HDMI lead.

Double, triple, quadruple check that all the power cables are connected - there should be a second 4 / 8 pin power connector to the CPU - which I can't see on the picture.

Try with the graphics card - as you state

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Disconnect all drives other than the SDD

10. elAwesome

There wasn't any speaker with the motherboard, so I can't tell about that.
    But there are quite a few LED's, and while POSTing, all of them flash up (like they should during POST) and then go out again. I really can't tell, but for me it seems like it's going past POST.
    Sometimes the BOOT_DEVICE-LED stays on, sometimes not. It's just there with all the fans running at lowest speed doing nothing, until I power it down.
    (Actually a good sign: I read some threads of people having CPU problems, and their boards power down a few seconds later. I had mine running in this state for 5min, then I powered it down myself.)
    The monitor definately works, had it a few hours ago running on my MacBook. No problem there.
    It may be the Mini-DP to DP-Adapter that I connecte it with, but a week ago that one was working as well so I assume no problems.

I tried with disconnecting all drives, didn't help.
    Power cables are checked - at least 15 times. There are 2 4pin connected to the CPU. I tried without one of them, and the mobo was acting dead.So it seems the CPU gets its power.

I don't have any VGA/HDMI cable here, so I can't test the HDMI port.
    I could use the VGA port of the GTX680 that I haven't installed yet.

Is it possible that the iGPU is disabled in BIOS by default?

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Btw - if you're worried about heat build up when it's not in a case - from my experience, it doesn't matter

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

When you go through the turning on process, and all the fans go and things light up - does it end with the motherboard LED indicator showing AA ? and some of the other LEDs on ?

13. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Might be an old bios on the board that doesn't support ivy bridge cpus, do you have a sandy around?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

14. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Ah, just looked up a picture - no two letter LED indicator - is the green LED on ?

15. elAwesome

Z77 supports Ivy's out of the box.

The green power LED of the mobo says on all the time, sometimes the boot_device-LED (which is correct, all my drives are still formatted for OS X and don't contain windows). No CPU or RAM or any else LED.

This board has a feature calle Fan Overtime (the fans stay on to cool the board even after shut down), and I see that my fans stay on as well. As far as I know, this is sved in the BIOS settings, so I guess that it is POSTing and all. If something was really wrong with it, I guess this feature wouldn't work.

16. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Put the graphics card in

17. elAwesome

ZOMFG it's working!!!!!!!!!!!

It used the GTX 680, plugged a different monitor using VGA, and there we are....

Thanks for the help guys!!!

18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Start overclocking it then

19. elAwesome

Lol first I'm gonna install OS X and Windows.
    My custom water loop is on the way, overclocking is imposible with the stock cooler.