1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved: Sata/ide cd-rom not recognised in windows

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by spacemunkee, 17 Dec 2006.

1. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

Just built up my first rig spec as follows:

gigabyte GA-965P-S3
    AC freezer pro 7
    geforce 7950gt
    corsair hx520w
    E6300 duo
    ocz 2gb ram

2 hard drives running on ide cable (slave / master split) non raid
    1 cd rw/dvd samsung sm 308 running ide to sata converter

Now on boot up and in bios the cd drive is detected as being ide channel 0 master. I have tried setting the onboard sata/ide control mode to ide, ahci, raid/ide with no help. Anyone know of a solution? cd rom shows up in windows as soon as i plug it in to the ide cable (swapping for slave hard drive). But just wont with the sata..

Thanks for any help, ive installed the gigabyte raid/sata drivers but once again no joy.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2006
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Windows doesn't like many drives connected in that way which aren't Hard Drives, I think It'll be your convertor which you're using.

You may need to get a specific SATA DVD drive.

3. spacemunkee

I have moved the sata cable over on to one of the purple GSATAII ports (controlled by gigabyte) and the cd drive is now showing in my computer. I can view properties on the drive however when i double click to run the system freezes, cd drive spins and the system will unfreeze partially (can move the mouse). I cant close any windows and the cd drive continues trying to read then stops and the system fully locks.

I might grab another cd drive from another computer to check this one hasnt died , although i did use it today to fresh install windows (using it on ide cable).

Think it would be worth just sticking the converter over on to one of the hard drives and running the ide cable from the remaining hd and cd drive?

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Its a bit odd that the board only has one IDE slot.

Moving one HDD to SATA should cause less problems.

There may still be problems with the drive however. So be careful!

5. spacemunkee

To be honest it is really annoying that it only has one ide. Another problem is fan connectors on the main board. Only a cpu and sys fan, running others from a splitter straight from psu (all well and good but it would be nice to have extra connectors on main board).

For the time being i have connected the cd rom and main hd to the ide port. The 2nd hd is running from the sata. **** set up due to having the cdrom running on the master port on the ide cable and hd on the slave .. messing with jumper settings sorted it but for some reason windows doesnt properly recognise the cdrom unless i mess around with the drive management in administration tools, along with some ejecting and reinserting cd it eventually recognises it.

Thanks for the help, im going to get a decent sata cdrom asap.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It'll be the ide/sata converter, they're made specifically for hard drives.