Since December I noticed Windows Update (on Windows 7, 64-bit) hadn't found any updates, even though there should be one every month around the 12th. As I recall, it would search but not find any. Then on the 1st January, it found the 3 mid-December updates. But when I tried to download anyway, it would stay at 0%. And if I looked for updates again, it would seem to be stuck searching. I've been doing all the Googling to fix it. Windows Update Troubleshooter - Either using the one on the computer or downloading one, it is unable to fix one error: 0x80050057. The reason for this is 'Access to the path 'C:\Windows\softwaredistribution' is denied'. I tried changing the owner of this folder to my account rather than 'SYSTEM', but it made no difference. Manual reset - The troubleshooter automatically resets the Windows Update components. There was a guide to manually do it so I tried that (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058). The problem was when going through the dll list. The first few were fine, but after that a few didn't work, starting with mshtml.dll. The error message says "The module "(blahblah).dll" was loaded but the entry-point DLLRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "etcetc.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again." Registry Editing - One fix said about going into the Windows Update folder in HLKM via regedit, however there was no folder at all. So I copy/pasted its supposed registry entry and merged it, so now it has that folder. This wasn't the solution though. Network Troubleshooter - At first this wouldn't work (error code 0x80070005, which seems to be meaningless), but after the registry edit it works fine. I tried it, and it found no probems, and I've had no connection problems anyway. Manually installing updates individually - I thought this wouldn't be so much of a problem, but alas Microsoft make it hard and you have to know the specific article number (eg. KB12345678). This wouldn't have been a problem, but now through all my fiddling Windows Update seems to have reset or something, so I can no longer see what the December updates were (one was 7MB, another about 70MB, another about 150MB). Also it doesn't show previously installed updates, and I don't know if that means somehow I've removed all of them (I suspect that would take ages and be obvious) or they're all still there, it's just starting afresh with what it considers previously installed. Selective Startup - Tried all of that with a Selective Startup (only booting with Microsoft services). System Update Readiness Tool - Tried one or two of these, and it hangs around looking for updates 'on this computer' just like Windows Update. I haven't done a full Malwarebytes scan since November, but I'll bet you tree fiddy it finds nothing even with a full overnight scan. Comodo hasn't notified me of anything. I know Windows Update hanging is becoming a common occurrence, but I feel I've left it long enough. Halp.