1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows [SOLVED worth checking tho] something is tampering with my google results

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Otis1337, 5 Oct 2018.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So when i search for something in google, i get the good results i wanted, with the google shopping down the side as normal (been looking for a white PS4 pro) and after about a second my good results disappear and are replaced for ad's for the xbox one, and the shopping results are gone?

Iv tried turning on and off ad blocker, cleaning out the browser and nothing works.
    Iv not installed anything lately ether that could sneak something in.

Explorer gives me my normal results and using chrome as a guest but bits are still missing on chrome like the product info down the side (not singed in)
    turn off personalised ads doesnt work.

when signed in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How it use to look:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Oct 2018
  2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

SOLVED:
    it was the "Video Downloader professional" extension, it turned into malware

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

No surprise... video downloading from YouTube or wherever is actually bad, Mkay?

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

-

Last edited: 7 Oct 2018
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This isn't a hill on which I'd choose to die, but "it was easy to steal" is not generally considered a convincing defence on a charge of theft.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I was writing something about how downloading media/content supplied to your browser with no DRM or protection for personal use is not considered stealing, ie. saving images, saving articles/pages for offline use, and why that is no different to saving video media that is legally posted on a site with no protection to limit use... However I concluded that it's more a question of what is generally accepted, and that actually the logic that extends in the opposite direction to the way I initially though: All of the above could be considered stealing, even though they are clearly generally not when it comes to personal use.
    So I'll remove my original comment and leave a nice hard YMMV.