1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somalian pirates capsize with ransom money

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Veles, 10 Jan 2009.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Full Story

Just rewards or unfortunate accident?

Somalian waters are being illegally fished, meaning the local fishermen don't have a fair chance at collecting a living, so they turn to piracy. Not the best excuse but not the worst either. The pirates also treated their captives kindly, though that may have been to only get their ransom money.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

How about smart disappearing act?

Somalian fishermen, turned pirate or not, are still fairly experienced sailors who know the local waters well. If they are smart enough to highjack a supertanker and extort $3 million ransom, they are smart enough to plan a good getaway. Note that there is no proof of this unfortunate accident --we only have the gossip hearsay word of another pirate to take for it. There are no bodies, no wreakage, and certainly no dollars washing up on the beach.

The best way to ensure nobody will come looking for you and your ill-gotten gains is to make sure that everyone thinks both are lost at sea. ;)

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

This is true and what I thought when I first heard it, but then the Royal Navy did manage to beach a ship did they not?

There's also the fact that those weren't the entire pirate crew, just 8 of them were aboard that ship with their split of the loot. So 5 (or 6 if you read the more recent times article) have died and the rest survived without their share.

4. Nexxo

Or the six smartest duped the two dumbest and disappeared with their share. :D

Ship, schmip. Show me the bodies, and (as McGuire says) show me the money. Then I'll believe they went to a watery grave.

5. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Well one body washed up with a bit of money.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090111/ap_on_bi_ge/piracy;_ylt=AvECPwqzp_ZHK3RIVUvlVuZw24cA

Sorry to spoil part of your disappearing act idea nexxo. Either that or this guy just failed at not drowning during it all :p

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Not exactly, it's been "reported" that a body has been washed up which is very different from an actual body having been washed up. If you're planning to make everyone think that you've been lost/drowned at sea then having a "relative" release a story about how your body and some money was washed up wouldn't seem to be an unreasonable step to take.

7. Nexxo

And it depends on who found the body. If it was local poor residents, do you think that they would honestly report and hand over the $153.000,-- allegedly found on his person? Do you think that they would even report the body?

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I doubt they died.

Given the very unusual situation that is Somalian coast line, and the number of 'local fishermen' turned pirate, I find it hard to believe that they simply 'disappeared' in rough water.

As Nexxo said, people aren't going to look for you if they think that you're dead. Though, I'd suggest more that they're less likely to look for you if they think you're dead, rather than close their mind to the entire issue.

Of course, rough weather at sea is no easy thing to navigate through, but I'd warrant that they'd seen it all before, especially given that the weather conditions were not bad enough to warrant special mention in the report, just that they were rough.