1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Some advice for planned build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thatguy119, 4 Jan 2010.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

After reading the recent article on a home DVD server, as well as pookyhead's experience with building a file server I was thinking of kind of combining those to ideas to build a home media / file / print server for our house.

This system would have quite a lot of requirements which I need it to fufill, they are, in a vauge order of priority are

1. Be able to rip to, and then share DVD's, pictures, and music in a user friendly format- something like the one used in "How to Build a DVD Server" from and to the central machine around the house to our 6 computers in total.

2. Allow me to print from any computer in the house to the one in the main office room across our wireless network.

3. Allow me to access documents, then save them back to the computer, so I can do some work on one computer, save it to the sever, then access it again on a different computer.

4. Allow me to access the data around the world via the web (I dont know if this is actually possible, but if it is, it would be usefull)

5. Run a 24 hour torrent client to fufill my download needs, so I can go on it, back up a few hundred hours of downloads, then leave it on running it automatically and saving them to the appropriate folders

What I am basically asking is:

- What would be a good build list to run all this off, particularly what would be good hard drive, motherboard, CPU, and, if required (although I would prefer to avoid the cost if possible) a raid card.

- What would be the most appropriate software to fufill these functions? I am not experienced with linux, and some of what I am asking might be challanging, so it obviously has to be something I can do. I dont want to fork out on lots of software, but I would prefer to spend a bit that have the hastle of messing around constantly trying to configure it.

If you can help with any of these points, it would be much appreciated.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

right my server pretty much dose all of that except access from across the internet which requires VPN.

You can use mostly any OS you like, linux, xp, win7 you name it.

The easiest and most simple way to do this is via networked drives, simply sharing a directory or HDD across the network, which you map a node to.

I use an old shuttle SN41G2 with a 2500+ barton 1Gb ram for my server. I stream DVD's and Tv across my network to any machine to watch them, same for my work and music.

Dont need much to do it. Pooky ran into problems as he was trying to shift hundreds of gigs over his network of an evening.

i started with XP to see if i could manage the tasks required, and used utorrent for downloads, later i moved to ubuntu and with the use of samba shares and transmission i could share to my network and download. the nice bit about utorrent and transmission is the web GUI, you can control the software from any machine on the network.

Also run headless and use VNC to control the system when needed, and another tip is to give the server a wired network access to the router.

3. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

I will use windows 7 if thats sufficient for requirements, although if it could run a lot better with linux I am prepered to percevere with that for a bit to try and get it working.

I am not quite sure what this means though "simply sharing a directory or HDD across the network, which you map a node to." I am not the most computer network litirate so any step by step guides to using software would be good.

There is a chance I will be moving a lot of stuff. The chances are the server will stay in a closet without a screen or keyboard, so everything that goes onto it will have to come from another computer. There is a good chance that if I go and purchase a couple of blu rays's as well as get a few CD's I could be shifting over 100gb, and unfortunalty that kind of purchase is happening all to often now.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

ok under linux you create a samba share and under windows you share a folder or a whole hard drive.

everything with a red X, is discounnected because the server is switched off.

You then go to you're other machines and do what is called 'map network drive'

From then in you're 'my computer' you will see a HDD like you would as if its yours inside that machine.

here is my screenshot

[​IMG]

mapped network drives on my server called torrentbox