1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "Something wooden" now with 50% more IoT integration!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by P43YM, 30 Jun 2019.

?

Oil or Stain+Oil?

1. Oil

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Stain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, boy. Saying that here is like being the pretty girl at a party that says, "I've never drank before." :lol:
    Abbas and I are the "square is bad," club. I'm also the "paper-thin metal is bad," guy.
    I like your friends. The wood available here is trash.

MLyons likes this.
  2. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Thanks.
    Dude, don't tempt me, I really want to make something useful out of this piece of metal. After all, I have already begun, I do not want to drop it. Especially since the next project I want to do as it should be: with good drawings, and the correction of all errors at the design stage (and i'm not really good at fusion360). And I make this case absolutely without a plan, I just started it and together with you I will see what happens at the end.

3. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Yeah, I imagine.;)
    There is no more terrible crime in the world.When I made a side panel of 10 mm thick Hi-macs and tried it on the case ... Just perfect! Thickness and most importantly WEIGHT.
    Where are you from, dude?
    Thermowood - this stuff is just fantastic. It can be washed with water, thrown on the street in the rain and sunshine and nothing will happen to it. And I recently learned that not far from me there is a thermal chamber for its production. And I can bring my own boards, or buy from them. I really want to try something with this material.

4. Cheapskate

Houston. Wood is only available in national chain stores. It's common to get a supply of whatever was knocked over in the last hurricane. Anything not pine is oak, and warped from being leaned against a wall.

5. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Good evening, everyone! Small update: Unfortunately I absolutely have no time lately. I changed my job a week ago ... So ... But my project is alive! There is 2019 outside. So what is the main thing in modding in our time? Yeah IoT integration! I decided to integrate my PC into my smart home system. What will I get from this? Well, at least some reaction from my home when I turn on / off the PC. PC can be turned on automatically when a particular scene is selected. And most importantly: You know when you have become bored as f*** from the PC and you decide to lie down on the sofa, and now you lie comfortably and then you realize that this piece of garbage should probably be turned off ...

In a great time we live: When you come up with something, you need to google it first. Most likely it is either already available in open source or produced in large quantities in China for 1 cent apiece. So a big thanks to the letscontrolit community for their “espeasy mega” firmware.
    I took a nodemcu v3 board, ds18b20 temperature sensors, an oled screen on ssd1306 128 * 32, addressable ws2812b LEDs, and other stuff.
    With temperature sensors, I will measure the temperature in the case. The temperature will be on the screen, as well as additional information (I still do not know what yet, lol). I will turn the pc on and off with a transistor or an optocoupler in parallel to the standard button, I will receive a status based on the voltage on the pin for the power LED.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The board will be connected to the internal usb port, the firmware allows me to control it via the serial interface too, this is cool.

And yes, the dumbest trend of recent years is rgb. So I did it too, because ... Because I can, I think. And I can blink it when something happens in the house.
    [​IMG]
    Still need to configure the system itself. Create rules ... Damn, i need more time!

Last edited: 9 Jul 2019
    Cheapskate likes this.
  6. P43YM

P43YM New Member

I also wanted to measure the current flowing in the PC, maybe even separately for each line, but the ADC in esp is some kind of a joke, so I’ll probably use an external ADC for this

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
  7. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:thumb: Each piece of metal called pc should be modded :grin:
    Great work so far :clap:

I voted for oil.

P43YM likes this.
  8. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Small update: While I was working with electronics, there were rains outside for several days and my wooden parts bent a little, but a little voodoo magic and prayers to God and everything was fixed (Actually it was a heatgun).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Preparing a case for primer now
    [​IMG]

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  9. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Light coat of primer for galvanized steel on opened galvanized steel parts, done.

[​IMG]

Hm, i guess i need to repaint my home too.

10. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Should be something like that
    [​IMG]

Or maybe Hulk smash!
    [​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  11. Cheapskate

NO HULK SMASH! NOOO.
    :lol:
    The oil did magic on that panel. It looks great.
    Your tongue and groove log house looks sturdy as hell.

12. P43YM

P43YM New Member

Thanks, yeah this board looks great and oil enhanced it a lot

It's funny that you mentioned my house in response to this particular message. For several weeks my wife and I selected the color of the house using the exact same method as with the case above.
    Here is how it looked right after painting
    [​IMG]

Dot_Kappa likes this.