1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ⭐ "Something wooden" watercooled a little now

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by P43YM, 30 Jun 2019.

?

Oil or Stain+Oil?

1. Oil

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Stain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Hi guys! I do not claim to be the best designer of the millennium, or participate in some competitions, I just want to turn a piece of old metal into something useful and perhaps pleasing to the eye. Also, I don’t have any sponsors or any fancy schmancy cutting edge components, only my already pretty old PC (AMD FX8320e, GTX 970) , but it does the job, so there’s no need to change something for now. (Of course there is a need, but there are things in life that have higher priority :))

I’ve been reading bit-tech for a long time, I’ll not say that I am a regular reader, but I come back here very often. There are a lot of talented artists here, I really envy.

So here we go: the corps itself came to me from my younger brother in a sad state. It lacked a front panel, left side panel. It was a case from some kind of office pc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing special: top mounted PSU, the bays for optical drives, but the metal is relatively thick compared to modern cases.

I did not make any drawings. I decided that there will be three 120mm fans in the front, the cables from the power supply will go under the panel that I will attach to the back on the former mount for 5.25 drives. So I started to cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gpu would be mounted vertically

[​IMG]

As for the materials, it was the obvious choice for me - wood. Wood is not often found in modding, and it is understandable why (it is difficult to work with it and it bends from improper use or humidity etc ...).
    I have been working with wood since childhood (thanks to my grandfather and father) and have been working with CNC for ten years already.
    But it's usually something like this.

[​IMG]

But I definitely don’t want to do something like that this time. I wanted to do something simple and modern.

I quickly figured something in my head, made programs for the machine and ... it turned out something completely different from what I wanted. Not a cool hexagonal design, but a... honey box? I suppose. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The side panel is made of LG HI-Macs by the way, and it is bloody expensive. So leave it aside for now and get back to the wood. I chose an oak this time. It is relatively cheap, strong and at the same time I will check how not the most stable wood behaves in a PC case, near heat sources and constant temperature changes. Worst case scenario so to speak

[​IMG]

I started off simple and made a mount for SSD - cable management cover and bottom for the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I made the top, front panel and kinda PSU cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, i know that my nickname on that panel looks horrible, i'll cover it later with something.

[​IMG]

With dummy components for scale
    [​IMG]

And that's where I am now. I want to paint the metal black. More sanding (many,many,many,many more sanding) and other things to do.

[​IMG]
    I really want to hear criticism and I will be glad to any help and advice.

P.S. I apologize for my English, by the way. I am not a native speaker

P.P.S.
    Should I use only oil or should I use the stain too?

Oil
    [​IMG]

Stain+Oil
    [​IMG]

2. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Lol, not the "corps" i mean "case"... stupid autocorrection

3. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Yes, of course, I agree. Usually the stain would be a way to go, but as you can see this piece of oak has beautiful red fibers in the center along with brighter sides, and I'm afraid that the stain will ruin everything. So I need to test everything first

4. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I will probably try several methods tomorrow on the back of one of the panels and post the result here.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

sadly, none of the pics are visible :eyebrow:

6. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Damn! I'll check later today

7. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Can anyone recommend a good photo hosting? except imgur

it's weird i can't change my first post

Last edited: 1 Jul 2019
  8. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry guys. I feel like an idiot. I do not have rights to edit my posts yet.

9. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Hi guys! I do not claim to be the best designer of the millennium, or participate in some competitions, I just want to turn a piece of old metal into something useful and perhaps pleasing to the eye. Also, I don’t have any sponsors or any fancy schmancy cutting edge components, only my already pretty old PC (AMD FX8320E, GTX 970) , but it does the job, so there’s no need to change something for now. (Of course there is a need, but there are things in life that have higher priority :))

I’ve been reading bit-tech for a long time, I’ll not say that I am a regular reader, but I come back here very often. There are a lot of talented artists here, I really envy.

So here we go: the case itself came to me from my younger brother in a sad state. It lacked a front panel, left side panel. It was a case from some kind of office pc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing special: top mounted PSU, the bays for optical drives, but the metal is relatively thick compared to modern cases.

I did not make any drawings. I decided that there will be three 120mm fans in the front, the cables from the power supply will go under the panel that I will attach to the back on the former mount for 5,25 drives. So I started to cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gpu would be mounted vertically

[​IMG]

As for the materials, it was the obvious choice for me - wood. Wood is not often found in modding, and it is understandable why (it is difficult to work with it and it bends from improper use or humidity etc ...).
    I have been working with wood since childhood (thanks to my grandfather and father) and have been working with CNC for ten years already.
    But it's usually something like this.

[​IMG]

But I definitely don’t want to do something like that this time. I wanted to do something simple and modern.

I quickly figured something in my head, made programs for the machine and ... it turned out something completely different from what I wanted. Not a cool hexagonal design, but a... honey box? I suppose. lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The side panel is made of LG HI-Macs by the way, and it is bloody expensive. So leave it aside for now and get back to the wood. I chose an oak this time. It is relatively cheap, strong and at the same time I will check how not the most stable wood behaves in a PC case, near heat sources and constant temperature changes. Worst case scenario so to speak

[​IMG]

I started off simple and made a mount for SSD - cable management cover and bottom for the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I made the top, front panel and kinda PSU cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, i know that my nickname on that panel looks horrible, i'll cover it later with something.

[​IMG]

With dummy components for scale

[​IMG]

And that's where I am now. I want to paint the metal black. More sanding (many,many,many,many more sanding) and other things to do.

[​IMG]

I really want to hear criticism and I will be glad to any help and advice.

P.S. I apologize for my English, by the way. I am not a native speaker

P.P.S.
    Should I use only oil or should I use the stain too?

Oil

[​IMG]
    Stain+Oil
    [​IMG]

Dot_Kappa, Vault-Tec and Cheapskate like this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin: luckilly you managed to find a way...and I'm really pleased to see the pics now...fantastic work on wood, I love this mod so far...:thumb:

11. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thanks dude. I am really ashamed: I manage it easily with industrial machines, but I stumbled over the pictures on the forum, lol

12. kim

kim hardware addict

:nono: Don't makes you odd to me Jeff, since I am a member here I already experienced this kind of issue with the pics on BT, IMO, some pics hosting servers are simply not reachable from some countries, when others are more "international"...there are plenty of pics here on oldest threads that I cannot see, not only because web hosts closed.

:grin: not a great deal...see, you managed to make it out, and furthermore, it's your modding that matters, and you do great one :thumb:

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This is partially due to our move to HTTPS. If a site doesn't support HTTPS we don't show the images.

14. kim

kim hardware addict

:thumb: Thanks for explanations Sir, I guessed it was something about internet protocol compatibility, HTTPS...seemingly.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

First, Welcome to Bit-Tech. :D
    Yeah, corian-based materials are stupidly expensive. It's really bad that granite is cheaper by volume.
    The project looks fantastic, but... If you have the cnc, why are you building around that awful pc case? It's holding you back.

16. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thank you, sir!
    It kills me, but the material itself is really cool to work with in comparison with granite.
    Pst,you really clever dude ;), but don't tell anybody. Meet my little friends:
    Thermowood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And more hi-macs
    [​IMG]

But first I need to finish this project. I do not want to leave it half finished and I would like to try some new techniques. And most importantly, the CNC does not belong to me, at first I would like to buy my own machine.

Cheapskate likes this.
  17. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

welcome to bit-tech. very nice work indeed. i am more the handmade stuff style when competing. but for the game of modding in general i also use all possibilites.
    by the way, your english is great. it makes my mouth water to see how a automation makes perfect parts which i would need weeks by hand for.
    cheapskate is right though, why didnt you do away with the case and just buil it. these block cases dont let us really indulge in the full extent of our imagination.
    i hate restricting myself to them and usually you cant tell that a case is inside anymore by the time i am finished.
    with thecnc everything is so exact, it would be even easier and you could make your own form.

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, boy. Saying that here is like being the pretty girl at a party that says, "I've never drank before." :lol:
    Abbas and I are the "square is bad," club. I'm also the "paper-thin metal is bad," guy.
    I like your friends. The wood available here is trash.

MLyons likes this.
  19. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Thanks.
    Dude, don't tempt me, I really want to make something useful out of this piece of metal. After all, I have already begun, I do not want to drop it. Especially since the next project I want to do as it should be: with good drawings, and the correction of all errors at the design stage (and i'm not really good at fusion360). And I make this case absolutely without a plan, I just started it and together with you I will see what happens at the end.

20. P43YM

P43YM What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I imagine.;)
    There is no more terrible crime in the world.When I made a side panel of 10 mm thick Hi-macs and tried it on the case ... Just perfect! Thickness and most importantly WEIGHT.
    Where are you from, dude?
    Thermowood - this stuff is just fantastic. It can be washed with water, thrown on the street in the rain and sunshine and nothing will happen to it. And I recently learned that not far from me there is a thermal chamber for its production. And I can bring my own boards, or buy from them. I really want to try something with this material.