1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony admits personal data was not encrypted

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Apr 2011.

1. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

The mail contains a lot of mights and may haves. Sony just took the better safe than sorry approach when they learned that a person/persons penetrated the security around the user accounts. Keeping a cool head appears to be fairly difficult these days.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Wow. Now that's an admission and a half. Not encrypted? Why the hell not?! No security system is breach-proof. None.

It is good the credit card info was separate and encrypted, but frankly if they hadn't done that much they would be the most irresponsible and incompetent company on the planet.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well I suppose that answers that. Better hope no one gets angry with Bit and tries to hack them!

4. Fizzban

There is nothing to be gained by hacking bit-tech or most other forums/sites as there is no money involved and next to no personal info. So I think we are safe :)

But a company that deals in the selling of goods online, like Sony, must robustly secure it's customers details. Usually with the big companys the only thing that is fairly unprotected is the email addresses. Not protecting peoples home addresses, phone numbers ect is shocking. To me it is more than that. It is unacceptable.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I don't know what changed recently, but the whole CFM and dev consoles have been around since the PS3, so I don't think this has anything to do with anon.

AFAIK, people were just pirating a **** ton of **** off of the PSN. No one was trying to do anything malicious (like actually stealing any user data). The only reason PSN is offline is because Sony have turned it off, not because it got brain****ed.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

To be fair, credit card numbers were encrypted so there's no direct money involved with the PSN hack either. No one's going to be making charges with just a home address and phone number.

The point isn't just Bit, how many other sites with personal information store your data in similar fashions? What are "the big companies"? Does Amazon encrypt all of my data? Blizzard? Valve? Everywhere I've made a purchase online, do they all encrypt my data? And are they any more secure than Sony or have they just not had a similar attack (yet)?

7. Fizzban

In my previous post I mentioned that is was good Sony had encrypted credit card details. Moving on.

Ah.. it is difficult for us to know until there is an issue tbh. I know with play.com that they recently had an attack, which to their credit they warned us about via email explaining exactly what the score was. They seem to take security very seriously and the only thing compromised was the emails, which was to do with the provider they were using. All critical information was on a separate system and encrypted as I understand it.

Companys like Amazon, Play.com, Ebay, Paypal, Valve ect have every important piece of info about us pretty much. They cannot afford to have these things compromised, and put a hell of a lot of effort into protecting them. Why? If they didn't customers would loose faith and leave. We (the world) use these companys because they try hard to protect our details. Not because they care, but because it is their livelihood.

As far as I can see all Sony was worried about was protecting their own ass by not scaring folks over something that might have been minimal. Rather than tell us the score and put our minds to rest like Play.com did. Others here will disagree with me and basically have done already. But I can't help but feel Sony has failed their customers twice on the very same issue. Once by not preparing enough for this eventuality, and two by waiting a week before they got around to informing their customers of the severity. Would have taken 10 mins to put together a short message warning of the possible implications, however unlikely, yet they did F-All.

It is shameful customer care, but this all just my opinion *cue the people who think Sony were right to say nothing*

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

PSN sales will almost certainly plummet after this as no one will want to give Sony their information anymore and the more die-hard ones out there might skip buying Sony hardware entirely just because it uses PSN, or they don't want to support the company. This will not be financially pleasant for Sony, it's their livelihood just the same and it makes sense for them to have been protecting it in ways similar to any other company holding similar information, which is why I'm now very curious whether they're following the industry standard or not.

For the PR issue I've got no opinion. On one side it seems obvious to immediately put out a warning of the potential for data loss, but on the other hand I know first hand how people can take words such as might/potential/possible/chance and turn them into will/have/did/absolutely. Say there's been an attack and a potential for stolen data and you'll see articles two minutes later headlined "PSN USER DATA STOLEN". Damned if you do, damned it you don't.

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I was refering to that weird v for vendetta video featuring stephen hawkins apparrently by anon recently posted which got featured on bit recently, was rather weird & was thretting of a masive attack on sony :).

I grasp the fact sony turned it off once they realised something bad happened.

I agree Fizzban & remember when play.com contacted me of what happened also, sony should have been on to informing every user instantly when they realised they had been compromised at the very least to keep customers in the picture, I'd prefer psn if they add a paypal option for adding money to the account, don't like having cards tied to any places so prefer if I have to to just have it tied to 1 place, only added money to it once as well :duh: the prices were crazy imo for pretty much everything in comparison to pc games stuff.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

maybe they were getting used to dealing with the mental midget honeypot that is associated with console gamers, they decided to hire some to run the network (stickies with passwords all over the place, in the garbage and a lol attitude without actually ever venturing into the shoes of the guys they are trying to stop)

anyone notice prince harry was looking at the princess tits before the vows?

11. ciri28

ciri28 What's a Dremel?

Sony has a history of arrogance, there for I am not surprised that they did not make security of their customer's information a priority.

12. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Bohoo, bet they killed your pet as well. They are a company, their goal is to make money. Not a single company is in it for charity.

13. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Would Sony like a slice of Epic with that Fail?

14. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Boycott Sony

15. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I don't really care tbh IF they have my card details and max out my Ccard then the bank will just sort it out.

"United Kingdom

In the UK, credit cards are regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (amended 2006). This provides a number of protections and requirements.

Any misuse of the card, unless deliberately criminal on the part of the cardholder, must be refunded by the merchant or card issuer."

Tags: Add Tags