1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony announces PS3 Slim

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Aug 2009.

1. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i quite like the look of it -- probably because it's not covered in fingerprint/dust attracting gloss effect.

2. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Thanks for all the picture links folks, have updated the article accordingly :)

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

It's an all-in-one unit based on the unboxing video I just watched. Pretty sweet. That's one thing I hate about the 360 is having the external power supply to mess with.

4. somidiot

somidiot Member

I think a smaller unit is a step in the right direction, allong with the price drop. I don't care what it looks like as long as the games are awesome, can't wait for GT5! why would you be worried about looks anyway? most guys I know only apply that kind of thinking to their gf/spouse, and/or cars. I've alwase been a fan of what's on the inside.

5. somidiot

somidiot Member

*edit* hopefully the specs are just as good, If I could wish something though I'd add more RAM to the thing.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This, the XMB in game is painfully slow.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

What are you using ingame XMB so often for?

All I use it for is chatroom while playing Socom. I open the chat room and leave it open and press the PS button to switch back and forth from game and chatroom. Only time it's slow is when a game is loading, which is very understandable. It's like Alt-Tabbing out of a PC game while it's loading.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Messages. And when I select tracks for Burnout: Paradise.

9. Teq

Teq Member

£250 is still to much imo, closer to 200 but as you can pick up Blu-ray players for 70 now (ok cheap and shoddy but when the ps3 first came out it was the cheapest player around) and I have an HTPC in the front room I still cannot justify buying one..

10. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 New Member

as currently €299 pretty much equals £299, and now the 360 arcade version has had a price increase because of the strong euro against the pound, i doubt that there will be a price drop now for UK customers, but to be fair the PS3 has been at £299 in the UK for well over a year now, so its about time that the rest of the world catched up

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Uglier than the "non-slim" model. Also, they seem to have removed support for installing Linux on it. Probably because they're afraid of "them piratey lot". :)

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

or because very few people use it.

13. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I use it, its a handy feature, my brother uses the PS3 as his only computer, some companies have adopted it as part of there business model also, allowing you to offload some heavy processing to the cell CPU over a network.

This kind of stuffs them, I hope its only removed from new machines and not from all.

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

what are you all talking about? i think it looks great, defo into the matte finish.

cant remember who said about PS2 compatibility but they're right. unless sony have added that this thing is fairly worthless.

its a nice piece of kit though. will look good under the telly

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I think it looks cheap, nasty and horrible. The US pricing is fine, but at £249 it isn't enough of a discount to the original PS3 in the UK. Why they went for that awful matt plastic is anyone's guess - sure it won't scratch as easily or attract fingerprints in the way the original PS3 does, but it is inescapably cheap looking and ugly. I'm guessing it is a cost saving effort over the lustrous shiny original PS3 finish, but the savings don't really seem to be reflected in the price.

Removal of Linux support is a strange thing to do. Less power consumption is a good thing, and I read on Wikipedia that the slim supports Bravia Sync (Sony's version of HDMI-CEC), so movie playback will be controllable over HDMI via a compatible TV. This is potentially very good news for those who use it as a Blu-Ray deck, because the PS3's lack of infra-red sensor (remote is Bluetooth) renders it incompatible with most universal remotes.

@somidiot - they won't make any changes to the core hardware (e.g. adding more RAM), because the whole point of consoles is to provide a uniform hardware platform for developers. If the slim had more RAM than the 'fat', you'd have problems with some newer games being 'optimised' for the slim and either not working or not running smoothly on the fat.

Very possibly - the slim PS3 is still a lot fatter than the slim PS2, right? And it isn't ridiculously soon - PS2 was released in 2000, with the slim version in 2004; PS3 was released in 2006, so 2009 isn't that much sooner in relative terms.

16. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

The PS2 reduced in size a number of times, not just the once.

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no chance PS2 compatibility is coming back. As far as Sony is concerned the additional cost is not justifiable for the small number of additional sales that would be generated. Anyone who wants PS2 compatibility surely has a PS2, so just keep that. The reason to buy a PS3 is surely to play new PS3 games.

Can't agree about the look. Shiny shiny is the order of the day at the moment, and that matt black will look nasty next to a glossy LCD or plasma, DVD player, etc.

18. [PUNK] crompers

tbh i think you're underestimating how many people would like to have a blu-ray player that can play their old PS2 games on it. in fact i think the sales bump would be massive if they put backwards compatibility into the machine.

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

engadget also found details of a 250gb model (sneaked in under a manufacturing pseudonym of Sand Dollar Enterprises).

Edit: actualy, I probably would buy a PS3 if it was cheap enough and had backwards compatibility (PS2 games upscaled).

I have got a PS2, but it's set up downstairs and I don't get much of a look in these days with my nephew deciding he wants to play it every time I switch it on.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2009
  20. [PUNK] crompers

exactly, a lot of people have massive libraries of PS2 games and i'll bet many of them would buy a PS3 slim not to play PS3 games but because they get a blu-ray player, PS2 upscaling and the option to pick up a PS3 game should the mood take them

Tags: Add Tags