1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony brings end to blister-pack packaging

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

That video... What the hell?
    Good idea though. I hate that packaging. I once bought scissors that came packaged in the same way. Irony!

3. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Brilliant.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sony's alternative: A Sony branded stanley knife, with blu-ray player, sold in attractive blister pack reminiscent of the ******* packaging all consumers hate so much.

IMO, blister packs should have burned a long, long time ago. Especially with this supposedly 'green' outlook so many companies like to push.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Not only are blister packs extremely difficult to open; they also have the added bonus of being nearly impossible to return for a refund. Usually you can only get a refund if you return the product in much the same state it was when it was bought.

8. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

THANK GOD

9. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Yep, had that problem here, my friend bought one of the HDMI cables (or whatever itis) for the x-box, realising he bought the one for the x-box elite, we tried to return it, they wouldn't accept it as the packaging was in an "unacceptable condition". was like £30 or something too.

10. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i hope it comes to an end everywhere -- it's nothing but a pain in the arse to open.

11. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I hope more companies do the same soon. I hate blister packs so much it's difficult to put into words. I've cut/stabbed my self so many times opening these. It's a miracle I've not ended up in casualty with scissors jabbed through my hand. They're the worst packaging invention ever!

I really wish more companies would start using cardboard packaging. It looks nicer, it's easier to open and it's biodegradable.
    Plus I don't see how a cardboard pack is easier to steel than a blister pack. They're the same size and weight and everything and you can still stick an RFID tag on it so it sets off the door alarms.

I'm not an apple fan boy or anything but I recently bought an iPhone and a couple of official accessories and they were an absolute joy to open. The packaging looked nice, felt nice and opened up quickly and simply as it was mainly made of card. It caused no injuries or frustration what so ever. Why can't all companies do the same?

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Somehow i'm starting to feel an urge to go out and buy a PS3... gladly it's not a strong urge... but yay for sony, finally a good decision

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well there is one other way to cut down on theft, do what GAME do for their things like controllers, have a DVD case with the picture of it on, and if you want it then take it to the counter with whatever else you're buying.

Not only does it remove the theft element (apart from people wanting a spare DVD case) it means there's less shelf space to take up in the majority of cases, places like wallmart will love that.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

But if you're going to replace all the games on the shelves like that, why not just have a touchscreen with a list you can scroll through? That way you wouldn't even need shelves.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

They should do, it's pretty much like that now in GAME IIRC. Very little on the shelves is actually a box with anything in. When I walked in there last time I thought that it would be a lot cheaper for GAME and a lot easier to see if they had the game you wanted if they just had several touch screens with all the stock catalogue for that store there.

16. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

For those wondering why it takes Sony so long to realise something obvious about packaging... or why they think the PS3's price is a good idea...... I draw your attention to the youtube video posted above.
    You can't hear it.... it's the wrong aspect ratio... it's not widescreen... it's not HD... there's not even a HQ option. WTF? Personally I would feel like a tool if I uploaded something as crappy as that to youtube. Even if it was a pointless video of me filming my cat, I would have the self-respect enough to make sure it was watch-able.
    Could they not find a HD camera or use some video editing software? Hmmmm wonder where would they get those types of things?

They didn't even come up with the "packing improvements are cool" thing. That was amazon.

17. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I agree that putting DVD style boxes on the shelve or installing a touch screen will reduce/eliminate theft but it does also degrade the buying experience a little. It makes it difficult to have a good look at what your thinking of buying before you part with your cash. While this is less useful for optical media, when your buying tactile things like mice or gamepads etc, it's always better to have a close look and feel first.

If shops were going to completely stop stocking shelves and only have touch screens, then what's the point in having the shop? That's what online stores are for. I already buy 95%+ of all my purchases online as it's usually simpler, quicker and cheaper etc. And that includes groceries etc. As I mentioned before though, there are some things I do find it better to go and look at in person. Saying that though I do usually then leave the shop and buy the item online anyway. :D

18. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I loved the end when the guy cuts his hand....cause that happened to a friend of mine one time lolz

19. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

True. I think the Game near us has empty blister packs for pads on the shelf and the full ones in the storeroom.

I hate blisterpacks. these should have gone the way of the Dodo a long time ago.

Tags: Add Tags