1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony can't get Blu-Ray facts straight

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 11 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Swafeman

Swafeman Active Member

That thread, I'd never read so much fanboy nonsense in all my life

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hehehe...yeah, it's pretty bad. But it's amazing to see how much people are looking forward to Blu-Ray - which makes me wonder how many people are really believing the Phil hype...

4. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What did you expect - it's a playstation forum. =P. It's like coming to bit-tech and asking if people like pre-built desktops or custombuilds and then saying we're all biased when the opinions become heavily lopsided.

Anyways, of course Sony is going to lie or at the very least stretch the truth a bit (if in fact it's all lies - who knows it *could* be all true). What are they supposed to say - that they invested all this money for a weak console introduction and a disc technology that nobody in the industry wants to touch.

Sony is known for innovation, but just b/c it's innovative doesn't mean it'll sell. I was one of few people I knew who bought a minidisc player. It was great stuff, but after a few years I shelved it since mp3 technology improved by great leaps.

All I know is that Sony's needs to have some tricks up their sleeves if they want to survive.

5. Asphix

Asphix New Member

Haha, I bought a MD player when they were launched too.. I returned it within 30 days... it was a pain to record/copy songs in real time.... Figure dfor the $300 i spent on it.. i'd save it and just use a tape player or blow the cash on the cd's I wanted at the time.

As the news bit proclaimed.. everyone lies and they're certainly not in short supply. However, when in sonys position.. the last thing they want is to lie right now.

To be honest.. I think it would work out better for them if they said, "Blu-Ray currently has a small library, but we are working to grow that. Our long term goals are..." Rather than fib. You know.. work your angle. Be frank with the consumer.. truthful even.. but give them a reason to want to purchase it.. show them your game plan and then prove to them they were correct in trusting you. Sony typically cant/wont do this.. and lies being acknowledged by the consumer makes investors and stock holders wary when it happens repeatedly.

Even if it doesnt sound like a smash hit.. showing what they have planned.. and having ambitious (yet attainable) goals would have a better impact on their brand appeal. As of right now I believe they're putting a lot (see: too much) stock in their brand strength.. its going to bite them.. and it will bite them hard.

Especially when people are already sour due to lies, price point, forced tech and proprietary formats, root kits, supply shortages, lack of game titles... with all that negativity.. and the bitter taste consumers who blew $600 on an "investment" with little to no return (except the promise of 'one day'), its going to be interesting year for sony next year.. I'm eagerly waiting to see how they pull through next year. Regardless... IMO I think they'll either just get by.. or start taking some major steps backwards.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2006
  6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Just like all the Nintendo Fanboys her on Bit Tech Forums.

Who cares about films anyway. ooooo he lied, there are under 50 films and not 100. I will be buying th console for its games not films. I never used my PS2 or Xbox as a DVD player. I have a dedicated DVD player and same will go with the PS2. If I want blue ray films ill get a Blue Ray Film player.

Consoles for games. If your worried there will be not eenough films on release then why you buying it.

Ill stick with DVD's

7. Carbonphiber

Carbonphiber New Member

I'm not so concerned about watching movies on consoles either, but I'm more concerned/displeased/wtf-ing about Sony's blatant lies and what's really going on.

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Has people read the story about the Blu-ray Pc drives not being able to playback Blue-ray movie? yeah thats right they dont playback due to the encription and that nobody selles systems that have gfx cards that have HDCP installed cant playback Blu-ray movies even after they had spent £600 on the drive.

What a pisstake sony are really digging themselfs a huge grave.

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners/0,39029405,40091720,00.htm

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

A lot of people do. When the PS2 came out, few people had DVD players, and it helped them justify purchasing the system.

When a system costs $600, parents are going to need and want justification to buy the system for their household.

People buy things based on accessories all the time.

It's interesting to watch all of this unfold. I previously had no loyalties, but if were given the console of my choice, I'd go for the xbox 360 over the ps3 for a variety of reasons. More than the xbox 360 gives off positive vibes, the ps3 and all of the surrounding hype and news gives off very negative vibes.

I have to admit, though - I'm looking forward to getting a Wii since it's more fun oriented, and there might be games my fiance will play against me in. But then again, I'm a sponge bob watching kind of adult who gets enough destruction and mayhem gametime on the PC.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

And lo and behold, if you do actually look, many people do list Blu-Ray playback as a feature and reason for picking the PS3

Nope, hadn't read that at all Atanum.

Here's hoping bit-tech run an article on reading before posting soon.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

12. EQC

EQC New Member

Holy cow...that fau-commercial was pretty funny.

Also: nobody's yet re-mentioned that Blu-Ray is using MPEG-2 for the time being...so reviews are showing a slightly inferior picture on Blu-Ray compared to HD-DVD. So the bigger, better (technologically speaking) format looks worse than the smaller, less advanced option since HD-DVD is using an MPEG-4 compression (VC-1 I think?). ANYBODY can tell that 25GB/layer is better than 15GB/layer in terms of potential...but Sony's throwing that away for the time being -- Sony must just love shooting themselves in the foot...

And regarding presidential lies, my favorite is still:

"Sure, I kin read reel gud."
    -- G. W. Bush

13. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

well it is the playstation forum :rolleyes:

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

15. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

If I recall correctly, VC-1 is Microsoft's high-def codec. Sorta like WMV in HD.

Anyway, Blu-Ray discs are only using MPEG-2 for the first generation. Hopefully.

16. EQC

EQC New Member

That's such a silly decision though. Let's say that Blu-Ray does win in the end, and in 2 years when players cost $100 I go out and buy one...will they be re-releasing all the "first generation" movies with the better compression algorithms? Or will half the Blu-Ray movies just always show compression artifacts?

Even if they did re-release them in MPEG-4, it would be hopeless to explain the difference to average-joe consumer (which leads me to believe they wouldn't bother just to please the <1% of the population who knows what "compression" even means).

17. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

Hey, I never said it was smart. :p You have to keep in mind, though, that the people backing these new formats also think DRM is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    I dunno... couldn't it be simplified to "better quality"? They'd probably say it was due to improved manufacturing techniques or something like that.

18. dibbs

dibbs New Member

perhaps its the final decline of sony? lets hope so, may there be an end to their proprietary format bs...

until the next "sony" clone arises

Tags: Add Tags