1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony considering external PS3 HDD?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 May 2008.

1. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

In the article it talked about the 40gb and 60gb like the only difference is hd space. As I understand the 40gb doesn't include backwards compatibility or half the other things that the other models can do.

And why not swap the internal into an enclosure and put a bigger drive in to replace it, its only a few screws. I was going to replace my laptop hd and put the old one in the PS3 and pretty much double the storage capacity in both of them, plus then I can use linux on it and not worry about space. The PS3 native divix support is terrible.

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Yep, you can plug a external usb drive into a ps3 and stream video off it. Also I have a 320gb Mybook myself which works fine with the PS3 streaming videos.

Im not sure if you can save games directly onto a external drive. Never really tried it. However you can backup your save games onto one by copying it across. You can basicly transfer any video, music, pictures, games onto a external drive no problem, because sony has not locked the system like MS have with the 360. Anything on your 360 hard drive stays on it.

You also have a option in the system menu to backup your entire ps3 hard drive onto a external drive.

But as Samkillar mentioned, you really wont one of these bad boys in the pc for only £75

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=787113

MS would probably charge £300 for the same drive on 360 if they made anything bigger than 120GB.

3. Major

Major Guest

In many of the PS3 pics, it looks like the PS3 is actually flat.

[​IMG]

And man does it look so much better!

4. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

From the article: "We launched with 60GB and to reduce the price we went to 40GB."

Why would a 20GB drop in HD capacity equate to much savings in price? Most of the parts are the same right? So in theory, a 60GB should not cost significantly more than a 40GB drive. Am I missing something here? My girlfriend's IPOD classic has an 80GB capacity and its smaller than a pack of smokes.

5. Major

Major Guest

Sony are overpriced a lot with most things, but it's the name you pay for.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It'll be just as overpriced as MSes are, look in a shop, the official memory cards for PS2s are still going for £20 or so.

7. cebla

cebla New Member

LordPyrinc said "Why would a 20GB drop in HD capacity equate to much savings in price?"

It probably only made a saving of $10 (or maybe less), but if you think about it $10 X 1,000,000 (units sold) = $10 Million so you can see why they might like to save $10 bucks per unit when they are losing money on each console sale.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Also, they tore out a whole load of other stuff (card readers, wifi, backwards compatibility) in the 40GB on... more savings. Well, not really savings... more "smaller losses". ;)

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well the backwards compatibility was taken out for other reasons, it wouldn't have really cost any more to keep it there since it was emulated, it's just they wanted people to stop buying PS3s as cheap BR players they can play their old PS1/2 games on.

10. peterhall

peterhall New Member

Hi, talking of HDD (internal or external), I,m about to purchase a PS3 and as it would essentially replace the DVD/CD player in my surround sound system I thought wouldn't it be good if I could store all my CD collection on there in a lossless format - I estimate 150GB worth - and use it as a kind of media centre juke box with excellent reproduction. I'm not hugely techy though, can anyone advise if an external HDD is easy to use for this kind of purpose (I can't envisage at moment as haven't taken delivery) or should I replace internal HDD (a bit too techy for my comfort but I dare say I could follow simple instructions - it's the software computery side that throws me).

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Last edited: 18 Nov 2008
  12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I swapped out my 60GB for a 320GB - dead easy. I've d/l a lot from PSN (videos/themes/demos/game extras) and it's getting on for about half full.

13. peterhall

peterhall New Member

Thnx for tips/links fellas... getting excited at my age...!:rock:

Marine... that's an excellent walk-through link...

Last edited: 18 Nov 2008
  14. identikit

identikit Active Member

I know a lot of people have trouble with step 7 of that walk through. The screws that hold the HDD in the caddy are right bitches to get out, if you can't get them out don't force them, try different screwdrivers or call Sony for a complete replacement caddy.

I wish the PS3 had USB ports on the back too, PlayTV and external HDDs would benefit from that.

15. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Yes I wish there were USB ports on the rear too as PlayTV cable looks a bit unsightly sticking out the front of my machine, I did intend to make a custom cable but i'm just soooo lazy :lol:

FYI - anyone considering PlayTV buy the largest HDD you can get your hands on, especially if you are like me and tape stuff but don't watch right away, PlayTV records shows in Mpeg2 direct from the transport stream so a hour long proggie on BBC1 can be about 1.6Gb, my 200Gb HDD is down to about 40Gb at the mo :eek:

You can export programs from PlayTV and archive them but again far too many steps for me.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The trick is to 'tighten' them slightly, then they come out a bit easier. I guess it's because they're machined in rather than hand-screwed at the factory, making them a very snug fit!

Tags: Add Tags