1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony cuts UK price on PS3?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Apr 2007.

1. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek New Member

Get a grip please, look at Sony's past record in context

PS1 - They took a chance and used the cd
    PS2 - They took a chance and used dvd

So stop talking ******** and comparing things like UMD for the PSP or what you were hinting at betamax/minidisc all over again, because they just completely different areas, and I can't blame Sony for using there huge market share to push there own storage format forwards and in the end it cant fail because the Playstation brand is so strong.

People don't just buy consoles just to play games on them, at least everyone I know who has ever bought a PS1 or PS2 bought it cause they liked the fact that they could play music on it or watch dvds as well without shelling out for a separate dvd player.

As for your comment on the content, Sony has always had the best 3rd part publisher support, people want to make games for the playstation (unlike Microsoft who had to buy publishers in the beginning), because it has the biggest market share.

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I think WHSmiths are doing the PS£ for £399, well the one near work certainly is.

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

First off, SIXAXIS is freaking sweat. I have played Motorstorm with it and it was freaking crazy that by me moving the joystick side to side I could move the cars/motorbikes. It had a "fun" effect and made the game more enjoyable and different. I personally love the feature and I can only imagine it getting more refined as time goes by. And so what if those "kids" think rumble is more important than SIXAXIS, it's still a great feature that makes the feel of the game different and enjoyable.

As for the rumble, I do miss it, but who says 3rd party manufacturers, along with Sony aren't going to come out with a controller that incorporates rumble into it later on in the future? I would expect that to happen sometime soon.

Secondly, saying Blu-Ray could die is like saying the PS3 could die. The probability is so small that (even up until today) it's almost impossible to say who's even "losing" or "winning" the format war, and Sony would not let that happen even if it was probable. If LG has already come out with a multi-format player, how could Blu-Ray, let alone HD-DVD falter? What it's going to come down to is how fast they get their format into computers for storage backup, and into current/future home theater setups. Of course that's going to depend on supply and demand with the main contributing factor being price. The only real way the formats are going to "win" is through how much profit each format brings-in. That's my opinion. And who knows, maybe IPTV will kill em both off.

Nobody will know until it's all said and done, but I think with the PS3 housing the Blu-Ray drive, and with the Xbox 360 Premium/Elite still not housing a built-in HD-DVD drive, Blu-Ray has a pretty good foot in the door. One thing that the built-in Blu-Ray offers in the PS3 over the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 is that it will play games on BD-R's in native 1080p (most PS3 games support native 1080p) which (I would expect) would lead to better looking games due to larger textures and more space for higher-quality graphics/movies. Yes 360 offers 1080p natively but only on specific games that can allow it, such as Virtua Tennis and Splinter Cell due to the size of the game, and others do also allow it, but they're not native, they're upscaled, so really PS3 wins in this area, but it's not as big of a win as Sony may have advertised.

Also, the 360 Elite only supports HDMI 1.2 rather than 1.3 like the PS3 and 1.3 offers much more than 1.2, and of course when running 1080p on a 40"+ display you are going to want the features that 1.3 gives you. Of course, it's not a huge difference, but it's notable and worth pointing out.

Lastly, does the 360 utilize its Hard Drive for graphics (such as texturing and other features?) like the PS3?

Last edited: 6 Apr 2007
  4. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

Very good point.

5. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

It is strange that no matter what happens regarding the PS3 (loads of stock at launch, price cuts...) it always seems to get slated!

Hardware always falls in price, look at those who buy the latest and greatest vid cards, do you here them shouting from the roof tops when barely a week later prices are dropped to more reasonable levels? There is always a price for early adoption.

When the PS3 came out, the biggest complaint was the price, now the price is coming down people still find other things to complain about!

If you really want some fun this summer, go out, buy a football, grab your mates then head to a park... after the ball has been lost to the nearby river, go to a pub with a nice beer garden and enjoy the evening! Oh, and then head home and play on the Wii :p ;)

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

first of all i would advise you to calm down.... really, chill down, this is a forum and we are debating, i am entitled to my idea as you are entitled to yours, but i like to help people correct some facts.

PS1 and the CD..... hmmmm, Compact Disc a format that has been alive since 1982, very much mainstream and the industry standard when the PS1 was launched in 1994........ that is really a big chance they took.

PS2 and the DVD....... the console was launched in 1999 with a format that was launched in 1996 and by the launch of the PS2 was the industry standard and pretty much mainstream and pretty much everyone wanted in..... so not a big chance there.

PS3 and the blueray........ the format was launched at about 2006 and the console by 2006/2007, the blueray format as of the launch of the PS3 is not an industry standard and is not mainstream..... yet.

If you did not see the pattern please read it once again, you will notice that, unlike the PS1 and PS2, the PS3 does not have the advantage of having a mainstream format inside it, IF it dies the PS3 dies with it, i don't want this to happen (i love all machines ;) ), really i don't want it to die that fast, but it is a real possibility.

If you have any data to correct the above please show it to me and i will correct it, but as of now this data was taken from wikipedia and i think it is real.

The interesting thing is that most of the people i know got the PS1 for it being a console to play games on (me included), the PS2 as a cheap'ish DVD player that also played games, interestingly the people that i know that got a PS2 to play DVDs were not very pleased with the results and preferred to use it as a console, and yes i know lots of people with a PS2, i was one of them, until it blew up, rest in peace :waah: .

As for third party publishers, they are all becoming multi platform for fear of piracy and low profits, most of the games that would make me buy a PS3 have gone to the 360.

devdevil85, the X360 has a dual layer DVD reader, it is far inferior to the PS3 blueray drive capacity, BUT, it is far cheaper and easier to produce and i think you can squeeze a lot into a DL DVD, especially with that procedural texture thing.

Now please respond in a civil way, remember that this is not an arena ;) .

edit:

that is just perfect :D especially the beer.

7. koola

koola Banned

QFT

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Yes. Yes it does it's one of the main reasons you've only got 12GB out of the 20GB HDD for storage.

9. kempez

kempez modding again!

How comes games on the Core console look exactly the same as on the Premium then?

Anyway this pricepoint is tempting me I have to admit :duh:

The missus will kill me though

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

They will look the same, the HDD is used to cache data used by the 360 to help speed games up (although over time the HDD can get fragmented which can have the reverse effect of slowing the games down. However there is a fix available - Reset and hold A while the game boots up).

From X-Box.com

Last edited: 7 Apr 2007
  11. kempez

kempez modding again!

Ah makes sense I spose. Still not noticed any worse performance from my premium to my Core.

12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

Ah HA! I see I have recruited MORE pro-PS3 soldiers into my armies! I will no longer be "that guy on the forum who defends Sony." Soon my army overrun you all! No place will be safe, no shelter will guard you from the coming storm muahahahahaha*hack cough*

Seriously though, it's a lot easier to defend the PS3 to the NTSC audience. You guys are getting royally ripped off.

13. Bladestorm

Bladestorm New Member

Hrm few notes on the formats :

CD and DVD were both open standards and already well established or well on the way there when they were chosen for inclusion in the PS1/PS2/XBOX.

HDDVD and BLURAY are both proprietary standards owned by big media consortiums.
    Sony has attempted what half a dozen? previous proprietary formats (including UMD and betamax incidentally) which have all been dismal failures when it came to major market penetration.

It also isn't in the consumers interest for either of these competing turbo-charged DVD formats to win because whichever consortium did win would use its stranglehold to restrict consumers rights and choice and rip us off over and over again.

For most of the above reasons I can't bring myself to look at them in the context of consoles in any way but how much do they force onto the price of the games machine ?

14. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

to those saying £350 would be a good price point for ps3, head off to ebay.

loading up a completed items search i see quite a few going for as low as £340. one went for £250 but i doubt that one ever got sent out :p

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am seeing US versions with 60GB going for $150.......

edit: $99.99

edit2: i am afraid to say

Last edited: 8 Apr 2007
  16. Fod

starting price means nothing. load up a search of COMPLETED listings to get an idea for ow much they actually end up at. do you even understand the concept of an auction?

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

yep

as for the starting price being 1 buck....... i think it would be more logical to start it at half the normal price......... but hey, it depends on the strategy.

18. Fod

i have started almost all my auctions at 99p and have found it makes no difference on the end price of my item, even on expensive things.

that way i pay less of a listing fee.

19. saeghwin

saeghwin New Member

No, the Wedding Singer is most definitely better than Happy Gilmore. :hehe:

I can't even stand to watch most Adam Sandler movies all the way through to the end. 50 First Dates was decent though, and Spanglish was surprisingly interesting (but I wouldn't consider that an Adam Sandler movie).

20. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

First off, when people such as yourself start saying things that are completely opinionated like SIXAXIS is bad and rumble owns, then it will get heated.

I see your point on the CD & DVD-ROM's in the PS1 and the PS2, but in a day and age now where technology is constantly changing and costing more and more for R&D, formats such as Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (because they are so close in comparison) need to become/seem mainstream ASAP due to the fact that any format can overcome the other and become the "winner" in the eyes of consumers/Hollywood, so I can see why Sony tried adding that edge and took the risk by making Blu-Ray the centerpiece for the PS3.

Oh and by the way, I don't know anyone of my friends that doesn't/didn't use their PS2 as a DVD player. It had component out (480p) along with optical out (Dolby Digital 5.1). Why would anyone in their right mind buy another DVD player if they already owned a PS2?

As for the Xbox's DL Drive and the procedual texturing, I don't know much about it, but I do know that most 360 games don't offer 1080p due to the limited disk storage and that to me shows why the Blu-Ray drive, in the overall picture, offers more future-proofing than the DL drive in the 360. As of right now, the most reasonably-priced console is the 360 due to it supporting 720p and because it's the current HD sweetspot, but over the next year or two, once 1080p gets to be the next standard in High Definition in terms of gaming, the PS3 will really show why it was worth the money and why native 1080p was worth waiting for. Some 360 games do offer 1080p, but it's only because the size of the game and the type of game or because they are upscaled. I believe Blu-Ray is a format that will only get bigger and better, along with it getting more affordable as production increases.

I don't want to keep bringing this fact back up but the Xbox Premium + HD-DVD Add-on = $399.99 + $199.99 = $599.99 which is the price of the PS3.

Even at this price the 360 still doesn't offer all of the features the PS3 does. And yes, I know the 360 gives the consumer the option, but that's not my point; my point is to compare apples to apples.

As of right now, the 360 is still the better console due the optional upgrades, the volume of games and because of the achievement points, but that will soon change. Personally I don't think 360 has that many great games over PS3 right now, other than GOW and PGR, but that's just my opinion. I still like how 360 has more online compatible games, which should be the set standard now for the industry, but I still say: give PS3 another 6 months and it'll be up-to-par with the 360.

Tags: Add Tags