1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony demos 6.3Gb/s millimetre-wave radio tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

*spits coffee out* 60GHz frequency? Hell, the 2GHz-5GHz of current routers are already borderline capable of causing cancer, but 60? I feel like just putting your hand near that you'd feel heat.

If this is somehow safe to use, it sounds like a pretty good project.

3. enciem

enciem Minimodder

if it means you can stream 4k HD and cook hot pockets it's win win. Vague possibility of mutating a super power makes it win win win

4. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

The current generation of routers are nowhere near causing cancer. If you think 60GHz is scary, how would you feel if I told you you were probably at this moment being irradiated by a source of 600THz radiation 100 times stronger than your router? This is the radiation we should be concerned by, and people are putting emitters everywhere... Sometimes, the pulsed 600THz radiation source cruelly attached to a certain device in my room is so powerful that I can't sleep. I was actually once burned quite badly by a broad-spectrum 400+THz radiation source, but nobody seems to care. It's not right that people campaign against wireless routers but don't recognise the menace that seems to be everywhere you look!

5. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

600THz? Blue light? Well, it must be VERY weak, otherwise you would be already dead.

As for 60GHz is to die early so they are curing the worst world's problem = too many people on Earth!

6. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Oh gosh.... So lets get this straight, I suppose you also believe in all natural remedies and those 'quantum diving sticks' advertised in the back of news papers??

Radiation is merely a word to describe electro magnetic waves (normally) and also small 'nuclear' particles such as Alpha particles. Lets be clear, the human race does not produce any magnetic or particle based radiation the universe has not produced. It staggers me that people try and latch on to the most un-scientific rubbish whilst stating that the cause of their ills are radio masts.

Seriously. I get a headache every now and again. But I work, and have a family, and try my best to everything society expects of me. I dont sit at home holding on to joss sticks, babbling about lay lines and the evil of mobile phones or any other tiny source of EM radiation.

If you bought some dodgy electrical device from a market that was made in China and got a shock or burnt from it, thats your look out. It is not science, the technology industry or societies responsibility, but your own.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

its not always the frequency that will kill you, its the power, have anything with more than a watt or two power no matter what the frequency is will definitely have an effect on you :p

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

This is probably what I was thinking of - yes, frequency by itself really means nothing, but generally speaking with electronics, the higher the frequency, the more power you need if you want a good range. So, at 60GHz, it is going to need a lot more power to send a signal the same distance as 2-5GHz routers. This wattage increase along with this frequency range just sounds dangerous to me.

10. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

It's not dangerous. The frequency does matter. The transmitters for the BBC world service (sitting in a farm in the midlands next to a busy road) put out 500KW at 198KHz and are completely harmless. Irradiation by a 10W gamma ray source for a few minutes would be enough to kill you.

There are only two ways radiation can directly harm living organisms. 1: Heating things up, and 2: Causing molecular damage. Only very high frequency (UV and X/gamma) radiation has enough energy to cause molecular damage or ionization, and this is the only kind of radiation that will cause cancer or radiation poisoning. The only way microwaves (much lower frequency, and generally much lower power too than visible light sources) can harm you is by heating stuff up. 2.4GHz (used in normal wi-fi and microwave ovens) is particularly effective, much more so than 60GHz, because it can excite water molecules. Mobile phones already operate at much higher power levels than wifi (generally 10-20 times more powerful) and don't do any harm.

People seem to get scared by 'radiation' because they can't see it, and because they're ignorant, but the only really harmful source of radiation most people are exposed to on a regular basis is that big-ass nuclear reactor in the sky... UV gives plenty of people cancer, and people pay to lie on a beach and get irradiated... Wi-fi has never harmed anybody and never will. If it wasn't for the problem of interference, they could make it much much more powerful, and it still wouldn't do any harm.

TL/DR: people are idiots.

As an aside, and for the sake of completeness: if you put your face front of a high-power microwave source, the heating effect will probably give you cataracts... don't do that.

11. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

It is time we take a stand and block out man made radiation from the sun. We all know that America created the sun to give us cancer and cause the planet to heat up and polar bears to cry. We also know that this same nation used the same technology to develop Nuclear weapons and power plants which they then created wifi to dispose of the wasted energy. Yes the wasted energy is what powers your wifi devices. Now after japan has all that left over energy form their broken reactor they have sony invent a 60ghz device to transmit this power so they can get it out of the core! You know what also runs at 60ghz? The human brain! Clearly this Japanese technology is actually a mind control device!

Ending Credits likes this.
  12. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

If 90 milliwatts sounds like a dangerous amount of power to you, you probably should turn off that computer you are sat in front of... it's using around 450 watts, or 5000 times more power!!! This probably explains what happened to the rational thought part of your brain. Fried by the wattage I tell you. Luckily the world ends this year so you won't need to worry about getting 5000 times more death-rays from it for very long.

13. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Didn't the Daleks have 60GHz direct-conversion transceivers capable of operating in 16 Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (16QAM) mode?

Tags: Add Tags