1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Sony - faulty within 2 weeks - returns policy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 22 Aug 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Does anyone know Sony's distance selling returns policy?

My laptop sees to have a fault with the fan, whereby it is on pretty much all the time. I have had it 2 weeks tomorrow.

They have requested I send it back to be investigated.

Can I request an advanced replacement as it is within 2 weeks?

2. Deders

Deders Modder

you can ask them I guess

3. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I think you are covered by distance selling regulations, so it should be repaired/refunded/replaced but im not 100% sure.

4. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Indeed I have, but just wanted a general opinion on whether what I am asking is unusual

5. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

They have said so far:
    "We are sorry to read of the issue you are encountering with the fan of your Sony VAIO. Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience that this issue has caused.
    Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience that this issue has caused.
    From the detailed description you have provided us, we deem it necessary for your VAIO to visit our repair centre for diagnosis and repair. We hope we can provide you with assistance.

As you are within our manufacturers guarantee period this service will be completely free of charge under the below repair terms and conditions. "

The repair will take approx 5 days, plus travel time - so a good week without it. Not brilliant considering it is under 2 weeks old.

What is annoying is they haven't even tried to fault find the issue, just straight away suggested I send it back.

6. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I had a fault with my old Vaio, requested an RMA and honestly couldn't have been happier with the service. Courier there the next day and helped me pick it, details of every step it went through on email, and had it back with in 7 days. Sony's repair centre was in France at the time hence they say travel time.
    Not awfully useful information for you but it might give you some confidence in the service you receive.

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Thanks Kernel - it's good to know that the service does work well.

I'm still a bit miffed that it's happened straight away. I guess that's the luck of the drawer though.

The thing is that it might be something that I could fix with a setting change etc, but they haven't even worked through any minor fault finding.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Are there any settings in the bios for fan control? what are your temperatures like?

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

It's a win 8 laptop, so bios settings are minimal. The CPU seems to hover around 56c even when just browsing the net.

If the laptop is left completely idle, the fan stops, as soon as you do anything: "start the fans please!"

The battery life also appears to be a bit poo (see my other post) and I am not sure if that is normal, so running Battery Eater on it at the mo to see the exact battery time available.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

That sounds like pretty much every laptop I have ever owned to be honest. 56c isn't exactly hot for a laptop CPU, especially when it is doing something, even just web browsing could be a relatively heavy load on certain pages with a lot of flash or inefficient javascript.

At idle it is probably clocked right down and voltage reduced thus only need to very slowly spin the fan, then clocked back up as soon as you start doing something. Some fan speeds seem to be attached directly to CPU temperature regardless of workload but others are a bit more 'active' and will kick in higher than needed in order to pro-actively keep the temps at bay if the activity hops up.

Not questioning your judgement as I accept that if a fan goes from 0 to 100% as soon as you wiggle the mouse without anything in between then there probably is a fault. But some places will charge fees if no fault is found so it is worth making sure there is one first :)

11. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

The fan isn't on full when general browsing, but it is far more noticeable than my old laptop.

If I restrict the max CPU setting in the power plan to 40% which cuts the CPU frequency from 2GHz to about 800MHz, the fan noise is what I would have expected - ie noticeable but not loud.

But as soon as I plug the power in, and the max CPU state goes back to 100%, there is very noticeable fan noise.

The thing is, I only have other laptops to compare this with, and not another Viao Fit. This could be a fault, or it could just be how it is.

I have also been running Battery Eater to check how long the battery lasts for - the best I seem to be able to get is 2 hours 50 minutes - which I think is pretty damn low for a modern laptop.

12. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

To give you an idea of how load the fan is, I can hear it over the sound of me typing this. It is a steady noise which I would say is as loud as my Corsair airflow 120 Quiet Edition fans when at about 80%, but within arms reach of me. So not something that is easily ignorable...

13. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Has it done it the whole time you've had it, or is it something that's suddenly started happening?

What kinda specs does it have? If it has a high tdp processor, then the fans will have to work hard to keep it cool.

Where do you us it, on your lap? Check you're not blocking any fans of vent holes on the base.

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

The issue has been from day one - but I thought it was just me being picky. The issue is pretty damn annoying though.

It is an i7 3537u so 17w, my last laptop was 35w - so I would have thought this would be cooler?

There are no intake fan slots on the base of the laptop, it is one sheet of plastic/aluminium. The fans blow out by the screen - I am wondering if this is the reason the noise is more prominent.

Do I have a lemon?

15. dullonien

Really difficult to know really. As you say, low power CPU shouldn't take too much to cool, and unless there's some hot GPU in there, I would expect a quiet experience.

The location of the vents could make it seem more audible maybe.

Any local shops (Curry's etc.) you can nip into and see if they've got a similar Sony laptop to compare it to?

Ultimately, if you think there's something wrong, then maybe just trust your gut instinct and get it sent off.

16. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Yeah I've tried the local shops but they have the lower priced Fit E - which has normal vents.

There is an nVidia 735 2GB inside as well, but it shouldn't even be doing anything during normal use - only when playing games or using Photoshop.

17. dullonien

Not necessarily. Since Vista, Windows uses the GPU to render the desktop environment. So it'll possibly be doing more work than the processor under normal use. It still wouldn't be taxing though.

How does it sound when you play a taxing game, or running a benchmark. Could be a good test to see how much louder it get's.

18. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Running an AIDA64 Stability test, and the fans are louder than when browsing the net - however the fans have gone up to this level at some points, but only for a few seconds.

Interesting thing though is that during the stress test, the CPU overheats and throttles back by up to 50% for short periods of time.

Also if I click the Stress GPU option, the CPU usage in the Task Manager drops back to 80%, and goes straight back to 100% if I turn it off.

19. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Sony have agreed to a refund.

Now I have to decide if I should order another of the same config - or an alternative...

Spec was:
    i7 3537u
    12GB RAM
    128GB SSD - which I will definately replace with a 256GB as with all of the restore partition etc, it is only a 100GB
    Touch Screen - not sure I will bother this time
    nVidia 735m 2GB

It came to just over £1000inc VAT.

Any suggestions?

20. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

do you need a powerful laptop or would a powerful desktop and a cheap laptop do?