1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony finally outs PS3 at E3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 May 2006.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

You can actually make out the massive Nintendo display on the right and the Sony display on the left. It's really not that hard to see.

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

There is a big difference between Sony-bashing and people voicing opinions post-E3.

Last year Sony countered Microsoft's unveil with lots of amazing specs and fantastic "real-time" movies. People gave Sony the benefit-of-the-doubt and they've had 12 months to prove the nay-sayers wrong. They didn't and failed to live up to their own promises, pure and simple.

This year they unveiled a *good* console, a realistic console. Some people call it unspectacular, but I say they're foolish for believing Killzone visuals are possible with today's technology. Now here lies the problem, had Sony been realistic last year, instead of trying to take the limelight away from Microsoft (with ridiculous promises), there wouldn't be half the backlash there is now.

Don't worry, once the dust settles and people accept the PS3 for what it really is (a good albeit expensive next-gen console), it will be given a chance to shine. Also no one can say there wasn't a couple spots of innovation at the Sony press conference, that eye-toy card game battle thingy was fantastic.

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

PS3 Freezes at E3

Only Sony would spew out a console with the same type of controller for the last 3 generations. Only they would make you buy new controllers because not all their games are compatible with the old ones even though they are exactly the same. Only they would overprice this console beyond belief and expect people to buy it.

I seriously hope nintendo f**k them up good and gain market share, im tired of sony charging such a premium for their half assed platform and its accessories.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I love posts like this one...
    1st: Why change the controller? It's the best controller I know! The new MS one ain't bad either but it's not as good as Sony's imho.
    2nd: Overpriced, huh? People who really want a console pay way too much money on it, no matter what price it really has. 360 for less than 1k $ in 1st week after launch? NO WAY! Ebay it for >1.5k please. Thanks.
    3rd: Time will show who wins market share and why. Stop the biting and flaming please... 'It was fun for a moment' as I remember the funny Russian in Max Payne 2 say. Now it sucks, seriously.

5. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Oh and i love posts like yours

1)The controller has been the same for the past 3 generations, its old as hell and has no imagination. Not to mention it was only 2 players and those sony bast**ds forced you to buy a multitap from them to get 4player action.
    2)It is the most expensive console ever, the xbox 360 didnt hit headlines being THIS expensive, so no your wrong.
    3)Sony have dominated for other reasons, not because their product is quality. The developers simply jumped onto them originally because making games on cd was far easier than making them on cartrages which cost more.
    Sonys hardware sucked, the ps1 was flawed with countless people having problems with the laser, the load times and many playstations freezing and crashing.
    Not once did i have a problem with the n64.

Coupled with the fact that their were countless games on it because developers jumped onto this bandwagon and they could be pirated easily - THIS is the only reasons it has succeeded - not because they actually offered something of quality.

I cant wait for the ps3 launch and Nintendo Wii launch. I know il definately be getting a Wii and il admit if the ps3 does well il shell out on that. I hate the hardware but its the developers i would buy for. Games like final fantasy and metal gear solid 4 are the only lures.

With the Wii being free online play, and games like this:

http://www.smashbros.com/en/movie/index.html

I know its going to be extremely fun playing it online for free with a unique innovotive controller.

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Nothing to write home about tbh... my mates xbox 360 has crashed its fair share of times and this PS3 is only a demo... I'm sure if you took hold of any tech 6-12 months before it was due to be released it would be buggy, would you expect a Kentsfield chip (first thing that came into my head :p) to work bug free now?

7. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

:clap: Finally someone with some sense, whish more people can see past personal biases.
    Only time can tell who will be the victor, I like Sony but I may buy a Wii or even a 360 if games I like start appearing on them. If people spoke out of common sense as appose to personal prejudices then these stupid fanboy arguments wouldn't exist.
    As for the controller as far as I can tell the driving wheel on a car the stick shift hasn't changed since the days of Nascar, why fix it when it ain't broke. Not that I don't like Wii's innovation but the PS3 controller simply works perfect for games like Virtual Fighter, Tekken so why would I want some new? I wouldn't want the stick shift on my car to be located on the roof just cause it's cool?

Maybe we should start putting steering wheels in cars where the pedal is and place the stick shift on the roof, we wouldn't want cars without IMAGINATION. LOL

Seriously Solidus you're speaking out of personal bias, and very little of what your saying is coming out as anything more than rants of fanboy trolling.

You like Wii okay we get it, what do you want a cookie?

Last edited: 13 May 2006
  8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Now your just being retarded, or is this how your normally are?
    Are you trying to say the ps2 controller is perfect in everyway? No i didnt think so.

Im not a fanboy, i appreciate companys that actually try to be innovotive. I own the original playstation, a Psone and a ps2 aswell as a n64 and gamecube.
    If i was a fanboy i wouldnt have bought any of the sony consoles but its the experiences iv had with their hardware and their total lack of originality that has pissed me off. Not to mention the crazy prices they charge.

Im ranting because i want sony to actually try and deliver something thats value for money. They are charging a huge premium for their console, its more of a luxary item. Couple that with all acessories you may want with it and your nearing $1000.
    It seems only microsoft and Nintendo are trying to offer the customer more and offer value.

Last edited: 14 May 2006
  9. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

value and sony never go hand in hand though do they.
    if they want their console to be overpriced and only bought by the most hardcore gamer then so be it, but i thought theyre meant to be competing for market share with the consoles war. i wont be buying one at anything like that price. imo a console should be a pure games machine, anything else such as dvd players and other HD stuff should be available seperately to keep costs down etc.
    the fact that sony didnt learn from its previous attempt at the 'all-in-one' console

nintendo all the way this generation i think (and hope!)

10. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

although sonys online service is free, you have to pay for the x-box one

in the long run, MS's console will cost more (Assuming you play online)

11. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

ok...
    time for my two cents...

IMO sony will lose some market share this time round in the console wars, it will still be the market leader but with less of a drastic share. MS will be the biggest winner in sony's lost share, at the mo I believe it's 66% sony and 17% MS and nintendo. I believe nintendo will jump up to arround 22% as more and more parents are getting worried about what their children play and nintendo have always been more child friendly than the other consoles. MS will be the biggest winner going up to 28% and sony down to 50%. There are still too many playstation fans out there that will only buy sony for example most of the japanese market. With a population of arround 110m they are a force to be recond with.

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

True... damn hidden costs.

So you have Sony's $600 up front or MSs $400+$100(HDDVD)+$100(wireless adaptor)+$70(xbox live starter pack)+(yearly sub*# years)...[1]

Not really much in it TBH!

All-in-all they are both expensive and over priced, but personally looking at it like this I feel the PS3 is in a slightly better position as you're not going to need 100 external devices attached!

Of course we don't know the full extent of what you get for your hard earned $600 with the PS3 so this may also apply to it... it's all swings and round-a-bouts!

[1] Prices from Bestbuy.com

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So should the Sony fanboys :rolleyes:

What is it about console systems that brings out the inner 4 year old in so many people? I don't get it. AMD and Intel fans don't fight like this. ATi and NVidia fans can have nice, peaceful discussions. Even Windows and Linux usere don't throw things at eachoter. WTF is it about consoles that get people so fired up??? :confused:

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

LOL Calling me retarded very mature. Now your really showing me your not just a fanboy. To answer your question any controller that I can pull off an Akira dragon lance, followed by a stun palm of doom on a regular basis is close to being perfect. So far Sony's controller is the best Virtual Fighter controller I've ever used and Virtual Fighter is the holy grail for me. So in short yes Sony's controller is perfect in my opinion. And you still haven't answered my question do you think we should start putting steering wheels on the break pedals for the sake of imagination and innovation? Hey maybe we can drive with our foot, wouldn't that be fun.

As for these fanboy arguments, I don't know why people can't just accept that each system may have their own fanbase without cursing for other systems to fail.
    I like Sony but I certainly don't hope that xbox or Wii will fail, in fact if each console can offer exclusive games why can you buy them all. Even if you don't own all three why the morbid desire to see the downfall of another console? It just all seems very childish to me, how some people can write essay long arguments in hopes of proving another systems failure. I don't know, I've always felt that it's very reasonable to own more than one console without being disloyal to your original choice.

15. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

16. Strategy

Strategy Banned

17. koola

koola Minimodder

18. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

19. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

You know, people are touting the fact that Sony's features, in particular the 1080p output, make up for it's higher price, but at $3500 for a TV that will display that (assuming bloodcar is correct, and I have no reason to assume he isn't), will price even enter it?

I certainly wouldn't be able to afford a 1080p tv screen even if I was a console player. Making this feature rather redundant to, I imagine, a great many people.

I don't have a clue about the different quality, and nor am I in a position to find out, but it won't even enter into it for me.

And personally, I'm not so sure about Blu-ray or HD-DVD either. I have absolutely no complaints about the quality of what I currently watch... I'm sure the difference is astounding, but I'm happy with what I have... Why do I need to change?

20. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Bloodcar is just being overdramatic as usual.
    For under 1000 you can get this Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24'' it's more the enough for 1080p gaming.
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sn...4&category_id=6198&first=true&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Or if you have some extra dough for 1500 you can pick up this a 30" Q resolution display.
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sn...7&category_id=6198&first=true&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Tags: Add Tags