1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony finally outs PS3 at E3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 May 2006.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

A Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP isn't an HDTV, now is it? The 30" Dell display you linked to is 1500 GBP not USD. That display costs around $2200. You'd be better off shelling out the extra $300 and picking up a rather nice HDTV DLP screen.

Having a display under anything 50" is simply a waste of money to display 1080i/p on as you're not going to notice the bump up from 720p.

2. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

I disagree 24" 1920 is perfect for gaming. Most of us who play PC games don't usually use anything bigger than 24" anyway.
    As for 1080p TV's they are expensive now yes, but doesn't mean they'll be expensive for ever. A gaming console is a 5 year investment, if you're telling me 1080p LCD sets will still cost 3 grand 5 years down the line then your wrong.
    I buy a console now I play it on my 24" PC display at 1080p, then 2 years later when 1080p sets drop down in price I get one then. Whats the problem?

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The mass majority of people who buy consoles don't play them on 24" computer monitors. They prefer to play them at the common TV viewing distance of 15-20 feet away. Trying to squeeze four players onto a 24" monitor is going to be an eyestrain for most players let alone crowded in the sitting area that's required to sit that close to properly see just what you're doing.

I didn't say 1080p HDTV sets were going to cost the massive premium over 1080i that they do right now. They will, however, still cost over $1000 for anything in a larger version. Hell, the 42" LCD display that I've had my eye on for the past 8 months or so does a display of 1080i and sits in the $1500 price range and it debuted at $1800. It's in the middle of the range for screen size and the price didn't even drop until 1080p displays were set to hit the market and even the majority of 1080p displays are well larger then that 42" display.

The benefits of having a 1080p HDTV below 50" are nigh. You'd be better off to purchase a good 720p HDTV or 1080i HDTV and display it at 720p then to drop the extra premium for a 1080p HDTV of the same size.

DOn't forget, we're talking about TVs here where the reccomended viewing distance is generally 12-20' away from the set not a monitor that you're meant to sit 2-3' away from.

4. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

I don't see how any of this is any deterant for purchasing a PS3, just cause you can't have a 1080p TV now doesn't you won't have one later. You can always play on 24" monitor if you really want 1080p untill you can get a TV at a bargain.
    Your logic is like saying you shouldn't purchase a Ferrari because your never gonna find a road that'll allow you max out it's Horse Power, you might as well settle for Volks Wagon. Just cause most roads won't allow you to max out your Ferrari doesn't mean you'll never find a road that will, when you spend money on hardware you want the best that your money can buy in hopes of one day finding that right road where you can unleash all your horse power.
    I hope my metaphor was clear, 1080p is 1080p whether or not an inexpensive TV able to push that resolution is available is irrelevant. Because so long as you have that capabilty you will eventually get to use it. Plain and simple you buy Ferrari and sooner or later your gonna get to go to sixth gear.

5. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

My deterrant for purchasing A PS3 is Sony massive miss-marketing campaign.

The majority of the past five or six posts of mine was in response to you saying that 1080p is 100x better then 1080i, which it's not.

6. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

I'm not arguing with you, what you buy with your money is your choice.
    Thats my whole point instead of hoping for other consoles to fail why can people just come to terms with the fact that each person has there own taste and budget.
    Some gamers have no concerns over budget, others do those who depend on parents for gaming purchases will most likely purchase a budgeted system most likely a 360 or a Wii not all some just like Wii and 360.
    Personally I don't mind spending a little more on a console so long as it has what I want, and to me Sony has always delivered. I'm one of those guys that can't live without the latest Final Fantasy or the latest Virtual Fighter and for me Sony has always had exlusive on those two titles at launch so the choice is obvious add in the Metal Gear Franchise and I'm satisfied. So really it's all about what you want, there's really no point in ranting about how each system will fail cause there's always something for everyone. Hell I remember a time when I couldn't live without Zelda, although that was a long time ago but still there are kids out there who will want a Wii for that reason alone.
    All these arguments are pointless, as each system has it's niche. And I just happen to have 24" LCD monitor for 1080p gaming so thats an extra incentive.

7. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I don't hope that the PS3 fails, I hope that Sony fails as a whole company. Their mis-marketing campaign extends a lot further then their gaming business. I'll direct you to my post that shows my beef with SOn'ys mis-marketing aimed at the PS3 audience.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1236181&postcount=13

8. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

That may be a personal bias, I'm not gonna comment on that. The chance of Sony failing is very slim as they have a very strong bottom line. I too have a personal bias against ATI, and I pray that they go bankrupt on a daily basis due to similar reasons why you hate Sony. But honestly I don't think any of our prayers will be answered anytime soon, seeing as both ATI and Sony are very strong companies.
    We have personal biases towards companies it's human, personally I don't agree with much of what you say. But thats because my bias is towards Sony.
    Like I said I like the controller it works great, I don't mind watching BluRay on my PS3 if it's gonna save me a grand, and I can't comment on the 720p upscaled thing cause I haven't played PS3 yet.

Last edited: 14 May 2006
  9. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Well I mentioned the ps3 had nothing new to offer it seemed. The article done by this site shows this, its the same regurgated crap.
    Now Kaze, i called you retarded because you were just intentionally being silly. No im not asking for the steering wheel in a car to be swapped around for the peddles - why are you compariing such things? When i say innervation i mean it in more sense than one. Ps3 is trying to offer so many things at such a high price without giving the consumer a choice. Its either buy this all in one console at a high price or miss out.

The Xbox 360 offers just a gaming console and so does the wii at a lower price.
    Now i dont want to see sony to lose completely although i admit i want them to actually fail in the ps3.
    Why? because i want them to try and go that extra mile and offer value for money to the customers, i want them to try and compete by cheaper games, cheaper hardware and only through them being forced to compete by losing market share will they do this.
    Just look at Nintendo and Xbox and how they are trying to cater for many areas. The ps3 is like a luxary item for the rich at such a high price, they even say they dont think its expensive enough which has me worried - do these people think were made of money?
    Sony's mentality seems as if they simply want to milk as much money as they can from consumers simply because they are in a strong position in the gaming market.

10. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

/me adds the price tag to his list of 'Reasons to hate sony'.

11. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

First of all Solidus Sony is losing their pants off each PS3 sold so they ain't making jack off us, the only money Sony's gonna see is royalty which every gaming company gets.
    Second the controller's fine, I want a controller that can control games period and the last time I played Virtual Fighter, Ridge Racer and MGS it seemed to work just right. So why go out of the way to change the controller just to be cool. Innovation comes from necessity not from doing it for kicks. One day cars won't have steering wheels because AI will alleviate the necessity for driving, but that day hasn't come yet so why force it. Games today work perfect on a PS controller so why try to make it funky just for kicks.
    Third not every gamer is out to get a cheap deal; some of us actually care about games. The last time I checked MGS, FF XIII, Virtual Fighter, and Tekken weren't gonna be released for 360 so explain to me why I should sacrifice the games that I wanna play just so I can save a buck. A controversial buck may I add if you look at the total cost of a fully packaged 360 it's about the same as a PS3.
    PS3 = 600
    Xbox360 = $400+$100(HDDVD)+$100(wireless adaptor)+$70(xbox live starter pack) = 670

The only console that’s saving money is Wii. Buy those calculations I'm actually saving money off a PS3, the hidden costs of Xbox 360 is one that many will over look.

12. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

Im sorry, but everyone here seems to be focusing on the down cost of a PS3

Lets look at this a bit

PS3 - 60gb hdd ??, 5 core proccesor, wireless controller (dual shock pretty much, but i actually like teh sony controller, more then the original x-box bear controller, and better then the 3yr old hand size gamecube one), BD as standard, 1080p, 2 screen outputs (thoguh who will use this, i dont know) and a much larger range of games, Free online gaming, Wireless networking

X-Box 360 - 10gb hdd ???, 2 core proccesor ??, wireless controler (havent tried one yet), No next gen film stuff, Hi Definition ?? (atall), Smaller range of games

Wii - No HDD ??, 2 core proccesor ??, wireless remote (looks kinda funkey), no film capabilities atall ??, No Hi Definition, Large range of games

PS3 - $600
    X-box - $400
    Wii - <$400

but the HD-DVD addon for x-box is expected to be ~$100, Wireless adaptor ~$100, X-Box live ~$70
    Total = ~$670

Wii - no idea about the add-ons, but i expect the add on bits for the controller are going to be about $30, plus $40 for the remote

So sorry, but PS3 price:-
    Still $600
    X-box 360 price:-
    $670
    Wii Price:-
    Still <$400

Excuse me, werent you saying the x-box 360 is so much cheaper

And you still dont have High definition output (???)
    AND you still have to pay monthly for the online gaming

13. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

What now

14. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Ahh Fanboi'dom ignorance is sweet.

Well you have made a fair point with all things considered using the points raised by yourself it really seems that the ps3 is worthy of its stupid price. Well if you knew those details soo vividly then i hope you can recall in a few weeks back on another website showing the Cell cpu running the ps3, and all the hype sorrounding the cpu was blown out of the window beacuse it didnt perform as to the tech specs on its white papers.

It took 1/2 more cells to even remotely get the amount of power to get close to the "estimated" speed/fillrate they were expecting yet it still couldnt match up. All in all its a failure, its still early days for this cpu but im sure in the Ps4 it will imprive greatly! anways also have you read the white papers on the Xbox360's cpu? its VERY similar to its ps3 brother, they share quite afew charachestics with one another.

Also have you considered what will we be doing on such consoles??

Yes thats right play games!

Sony expects to firstly charge half a grand for a console then to piss its Fanboi's and customers off even more charge £50-70 for a bleeding game!

If thats the most redicilous thing ive ever heard and TBH i wouldnt be surprised if Sony did actually charge those sorts of prices.

So you have your half a grand console but no games? ohh wait what about the online feature? ohh wait u cant really play games on that..its only a marketplace where sony fleese even MORE money from you.The ninty Wii's back catalogue dont sound that bad now does it?

So what ur escintally(sp?) left with is a rather large, un-inovative and slow-ish console with NO good games and the best of all it costs more than half a grand!!...how many kiddies can afford that?..yeah their parents pay but half a grand?..then games and other bits...

Also the point of sonly loosing a butt load of money on such a console, actually all the manufacters loose money, not just Sony.

Tbh the xbox will be the leader of the market and then the ninty Wii, the PS3 dont have a chance....as looks like everything on this console looks like a afterthought.

15. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

LOL All that bs you just wrote doesn't tackle the fundamental question raised that yes PS3 is actually cheaper than 360. You can write another 10 pages if you want about how some kid somewhere says cell processors suck or some dude somewhere says it's hard to program for Cell but that doesn't change the fact that 360 is still more expensive. Face the facts, MGS, Virtual Fighter and Tekken is coming and all the bs cell specs in world won't change that.
    Yes its good to be a Sony fan today. :thumb:
    P.S The last time I checked the list of 360 games aren't exactly going for a dime a pop either 60 bones for GRAW if I remember the net price correctly. And talking about half a grand systems, the 360 costs more than half a grand as just to even match the Sony specs. Got anymore ammo

Last edited: 14 May 2006
  16. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

PS3: 20GB or 60GB hdd. Single "monitor" output (remember, they scrapped the whole dual HDMI setup). "Eight core" processor (one massive processor that is divided into eight units, one of which is fully reserved for use by the SonyOS). A controller that you form your hand to, not one that is formed to your hand (The "retard" version of the console is looking at having wired controllers packaged with it just like the core version of the 360). BD media. 1080p movies and games that are scaled from 720p to 1080p. Supposed free online gaming (There's bound to be massive amounts of ads there or Sony is going to lose it's ass on bandwidth costs).

360: 20GB hdd (7GB of which is reserved for game saves, backwards compatability, OS, and room for updates). Three dual dore processors running at 3.2GHz each. Comfortable wireless controller (no hand cramps from it yet) with wired controllers as well. HD-DVD add-on (which we don't even know the price of yet). 1080i output (you don't need HDMI for 1080i or 1080p output, just for HDCP). Small amount of games but more being released as time goes on (All consoles go through a dry spell right after they are launched, it's nothing new).

Wii: Console at for nothing but gaming. No need for high definition as a majority of gamers and Nintendo's aimed audience of this round don't own HDTVs (The wii will support 480p and widescreen gaming, btw). Pricing of console and accessories are as of yet unannounced. Internal 512MB of flash memory to store game saves and downloads on with external flash memory capability. Single, single core processor.

Xbox Live costs $50 for a year's subscription (which basically helps pay for the massive amount of bandwidth that the marketplace and online gaming uses with no ads). The HD-DVD add-on has no price yet just rumors. First party wireless adapter of $100 but you can pick up a cheap wireless adapter that will still work for $20 or so. When you count the price of a Live subscription, that comes to less then $1 a week.

Again, I'll reiterate, the 360 does push HD outputs. I hate to say this, but your posts are typical of a Sony fanboy. You spout out stuff when your posts show that you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about.

:Ninja Stealth Edit: Sony is pushing the PS3 as the flagship for BD instead of what it should be pushing it for, what it is somewhere beneath all of the Sony marketing BS, a games console.

17. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

PS3 not a game console? WTF
    Hmmm let me see MGS, Virtual Fighter, Tekken, FF XIII need I say more.
    Xbox 360 Oblivion I can play it PC, GRAW I can also play it on PC, umm wait wait umm PGR okay one good game thats not found on PC.

PS3 600 with everything plus live feature
    Xbox 360 400+20 bargain bin Wifi+50/year for life for live+100 HD DVD = still 570 + extra 50 each year.

5 years owning Xbox360 = 770 for the life span of xbox360
    5 years owning PS3 = still 600

There goes the whole cheaper xbox myth.
    Whats the next myth PS3 controller sucks, com'on you gotta come up with something better than that. Oh wait lets go back to 1080p sucks and 1080i rules. :wallbash:

18. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

And there you go trying to put words in people's mouths again. I never said that 1080i was better then 1080p. I showed you that 1080p isn't one hundred times better then 1080i.

Sony is pushing the whole BlueRay Disc thing further then anything else. They're marketing it was past being a games console. If you would have read my post correctly and in the way it was written (which was very clear) then you would have realized that instead of pushing your fanboy-ism into my post and trying to word it a way in which it wasn't worded.

Let me remind you that there is a current incarnation of Final Fantasy on the 360. As for the rest of the games that you've mentioned, they're not out yet, are they? Microsoft does own Rare Studios so not only do you get Perfect Dark: Zero (which isn't nearly as bad as what some people make it out to be) but you get the other Rare franchises as well. There is also Ridge Racer 6 out which has basically redemned the entire RR franchise after the farse that was RR5, Dead or Alive 4 which brings along with it DOA: Extreme Volleyball (which besides from the scantilily clad women, is actually a pretty good game), Condemned (which was later released on the PC but did make it's debut on the 360), Gears of War, and several other games as well.

Konami is not a Sony first or second party publisher which means that they can release their games across any other platform if they so choose so (Metal Gear SOlid: Twin Snakes ring a bell?).

Sony is saying that their Live equivalent is going but be free but it's yet to be seen. Like I said earlier, if it's free, expect to see a ton of ads as Sony is going to have to pay for the massive amount bandwidth used out of their own pocket (which isn't very likly).

I've already stated my opinions on the PS3 controller before. If I want a dual analogue controller that makes my hand cramp after an hour of play, then I'll go pick up a PSX for $25. The only thing different about the PS3 controller is that the rear shoulder buttons are a bit larger and so are the analogue sticks. Still no ergonomics incorporated into the controller which you would expect after a third console.

19. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

What i dnt get is only 7 controllers. Why not 8. Odd teams now hey?

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

USB limits. 7+1 address port, 8 bits

Tags: Add Tags