1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony handycam iLink cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theflinger, 7 Feb 2005.

1. theflinger

theflinger New Member

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...oryName=dcc_DICamcorders_DIAccessories_Cables
    That is the cable I need to transfer full DV from my camcorder (DCR-TRV350) to my computer.

From everything I can tell, it is nothing but a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable...If so, I am sure I can find a better price than 40 bucks!

Any thoughts? Experience with such cables?

Thanks a lot.

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't think of a better one)

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Anything you buy straight from a large OEM, such as Sony, is going to be rediculously marked up. Yes, that's the cable you need.

Here's the same thing, 3ft, for $3.50 :thumb:

Here's a 15ft one for $6.50.

3. Feline

Feline New Member

You can even buy Monster Cable branded ones for less than that! I've always just used the Belkin ones and never had any problems with them at all.

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I got a Sony DV Video Camera and just bought a cheap generic 4pin to 6 pin cable and it works fine.

I did buy a Sony I-link cable a long time ago before I got my Video Camera for something else. That Is a Sony 4pin to 4pin.

I originally tried this and it didnt work which is why I bought the 4pin to 6pin which did and was not even a sony cable.

So I would def get a 4pin to 6pin as I assume those extra 2 pins make a difference.

Just dont undertand why a 4pin from the camera to a 4pin on the firewire card does not work. Doesnt matter as im happy with my 4pin to 6pin :)

But if anyone knows why the 4 - 4 doesnt work I wouldnt mind knowing why as all info is useful.

Thanks

Mike

5. theflinger

theflinger New Member

well the 4 pin is just a mini firewire standard. Used on laptops a lot but not on much else.

Thanks a ton guys, you guys rock!
    :thumb: :thumb:

6. Stompy

Stompy New Member

Yeh Sony like to call Firewire I-Link for some reason

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Because they're full of themselves, and feel the need to rename common household items :lol:.

8. Stompy

Stompy New Member

Sony: Bah, Televisions have been around for ages. Let's re-invent it exactly the same and call it the Televatron!

9. camel

camel New Member

that's marketing for you :D

10. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

It's the same reason you guys are calling IEEE1394 by the name that apple gave it (firewire). That's marketing for you...

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

:blush: Now I feel ashamed...

12. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Honest mistake. You are forgiven.

13. soulmantra

soulmantra New Member

i tried using the USB cable to load the footage into my camera but the quality is quite poor. if i use the iLINK/firewire will the quality improve? or is it just a faster way to get the same information across.

i'm new to this and any help would be greatly appreciated. i've got a sony miniDV handycam and would like to do some editing on the computer. also any suggestions for editing software would be greatly appreciated too (i've got a PC).

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Its the same reason you guys are calling IEEE1394a by the name that lazy people give it(IEEE1394). That's marketing for you...

sorry, couldn't resist

edit: And to be usefull to the thread, I see no reason a USB cable would degrade quality, but since a cheap firewire cable can be had for less then £10/$10/€10, try one and see :)