1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony implicates Anonymous over PSN attacks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 May 2011.

1. mute1

mute1 New Member

I think he was being ironic. At least I hope he was...

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Has no one considered that it whoever did it left that to distract from themselves?

Sony may not be lying, but they would be foolish to put all their eggs in the Anonymous basket.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In other news, i just found a file on my computer, named SONY.hacked.your.computer.txt, and it contains following text : "make.believe".
    :naughty:

PS: It is a joke, of course.

4. hyperion

hyperion Active Member

For once I'm rooting for the "conspiracy theory" ending. An anonymous hacker is ok Ii guess, but just think of the drama if sony somehow implicated nintendo or MS. That would be something worth reading about.

5. buzzhard

buzzhard New Member

All these sites saying that sony is pointing a finger need to get their facts straight. And as far a passing the blame goes, they are victims in this too. The hackers who broke into the system are the criminals, you wouldn't blame ford if somebody broke your mustangs window and took your stereo.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Honest to god... I swear what I read said they didn't think it was anon, although the file left implicated it was.

"Whether those who participated in the denial of service attacks were conspirators or whether they were simply duped into providing cover for a very clever thief, we may never know. In any case, those who participated in the attacks should understand that -- whether they knew it or not -- they were aiding in a well planned, well executed, large-scale theft that left not only Sony a victim, but also Sony’s many customers around the world."

They think it was oportunistic rather than anon. Nice **** stirring though and to be quite frank, who wouldn't have them pegged as one of the main targets at this stage?

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

+1

8. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

Frankly I doubt Sony is lying about it. Sony at least supposedly has hired a security/forensics company to investigate. Now I'll grant you they could be giving them a bonus to go along with it...but the odds of it getting out that Sony was lying (if they were) are high enough that I think any executive at Sony would be damned warry about fabricating anything. Getting something wrong, maybe, fabricating is something else.

Now that doesn't mean it wasn't just planted there by some unrelated hacker(s) just to draw attention away from themselves. It also doesn't mean that someone associated with Anon didn't put it there, and it wasn't something "sanctioned" by the collective.

Calling Anon a group is kind of missleading. They aren't well organized and there is no real membership. At best it is like saying people who have a membership on an internet forum are a group. Sure sometimes they organize some local meet and greets, or some kind of campaign, but Anon is even less well organized than our US Tea Party politcal group. Though sometimes I think you could draw some nice parrallels between the two groups in terms of social responsibility and maturity.

I mean that in the nicest way *sarcasm*

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Has anyone one considered that the hackers want to remain anonymous? Hence they titled the file "Anonymous" and instead their hacker group is called Legion? After all is says "we are Legion" not "we are Anonymous".

Of course if could be a hacker who just played to much ME2 and loved the Geth :s

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

Or they really like reading the bible and got the quote from there :)

11. Rustypouch

Rustypouch New Member

I'm just going to come clean guys...it was me. Sorry.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

what they probably found was a picture of the buttsecks monkey.. and it looked like their infosec guy

13. Woodspoon

Woodspoon New Member

No, it was me.
    I am Spartacus!
    sorry that should be Anonymous.
    I am Anonymous!

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Or maybe a pumpkin ass-face?

15. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip New Member

Ooooh no I think your under estimating these boys. They are capable of more than nub tricks^^

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Member

I am anonymous!
    And so is my wife...

17. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I don't care who has done it, I just want my PSN back and the hackers shot in the face!

I've had to go out to the video shop rather than download from home...how damn inconvenient :D

18. echeb

echeb Member

When ever i read an article bout Anonymous i allways remember this quote: "

Anonymous is a group, in the sense that a flock of birds is a group. How do you know they're a group? Because they're travelling in the same direction. At any given moment, more birds could join, leave, peel off in another direction entirely." - Landers, Chris, Baltimore City Paper, April 2, 2008.

So to me ether someone has gone off on his/her own and done this with the unwitting help of Anonymous, or Sony are bricking it and want someone to blame when they get sued.

P.S. who bets that one of the 'top security firms' is HBGarry

19. Whirly

Whirly New Member

The amount of time it's taking to get PSN back on-line has nothing to do with the hacker(s), it is entirely down to Sony's incompetence both before and after the hack.

By throwing suspicion at Anon, Sony is trying to deflect blame away from themselves. And that blame is truly justified. While no system connected to the internet is entirely safe, careful management can (and should) result in making a hack both incredibly difficult and (relatively) not worth the effort. Even simple measures such as basic encryption of data would have made getting usable data exponentially more difficult.

Nevertheless we should not lose sight of two things. Firstly, that the hack was a criminal act and secondly that it was made possible by a lack of proper security. If you lend your car to a friend who then parks it in a dodgy area and leaves a spare key in the wheel arch, you wouldn't be overly happy with him when he tells you your car has been nicked. Is he the criminal? No. But would you trust him with your bike next week?

Of course, there is a further level to this. That car your mate borrowed. Well, he left your house keys in it along with a map to your house. Would you expect him to pay for having your locks changed? Same with Sony. At the very least they have allowed your personal details to be stolen. Do they bear any responsibility for the personal consequences you may suffer from any subsequent ID theft?

So when you turn on your PS3 and can't get on-line, don't think it is entirely the fault of the hack. The delay has far more to do with Sony trying to ensure their new system does not leave them open to massive lawsuits should it be hacked again than any real technical issue.

20. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Data breaches happen all the time, but how often do you hear about a service being down for more than a couple of days due to a breach?

I think Sony was more likely hacked by an insider and Sony is trying to figure out how to stop this from happening again. They haven't found the hacker within and so they are wary of resuming services even if there are new security measures in place.

It's good publicity to point fingers at another outside source. Especially one that has a colorful past. It might come back to bite Sony in the rear if it does turn out to be an insider that caused the breach.

Tags: Add Tags