1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony installs hidden malware on your machine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 1 Nov 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

OK, this seriously suX0rs, but I do have to wonder just how many people use their PC for playing audio CDs...

I mean, you've got your hi-fi, your DVD player, your CD walkman maybe... how many people would put an audio CD into a PC for reasons OTHER than to rip the contents?

Don't get me wrong - I fully support consumers' right to move music they PAID for from one medium to another ie audio CD to iPod, which is clearly impeded by Sony's DRM measures. I just wonder how many people would still buy it on CD for their MP3 player, rather than just buy it digitally (for less) via iTunes or any number of other legal MP3 stores.

Assuming iPodders will buy from iTunes, surely anyone still stuck in the 20th Century would just play the CD in their car or something...?

Thoughts?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I do, actually. I have Canon studio reference speakers hooked up on it, and I like a good tune while I am working on it. I suspect there are many others who do the same thing, at home and at work.

Sony is, of course, breaking the law if it makes modifications to the contents of your HDD without your knowledge and hence, permission. I wonder what the legal status on this is... I also wonder how long it will take for AdAware and the like to develop a countermeasure.

Personally, I avoid buying CDs that have clever copy-protection measures on them (yes, I actually read the label and check). I have never ripped a track in my life, but I want the freedom to play my legally owned CD on whatever suitable device I wish.

4. Rav

Rav New Member

I do, call me crazy but i'd rather own a physical copy of an album (in highest quality) than a compressed chunk of data on my hard drive. And i do still play CDs in my computer, if i can't be bothered with ripping them to the drive. And i don't own an mp3 player, i'm strange that way, i have a portable CD player instead.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Dodgy Id guess. No doubt it'll be tested in a court at some point soon.

6. EarlGrey

EarlGrey New Member

I imagine a lot of people would use their computer to play CDs. University students for one, and anyone who wants to listen to music while they toil away at the keyboard. I personally don't really have the money for a seperate hi-fi at the moment, so the PC comes in handy for as a do it all machine.
    Of course, those who rip their entire CD collection to the computer don't have to swap CDs afterwards, but you of course have to be able to play the CD on the machine in the first place.

Anyway, this method of copy protection is simply a laughable, and Sony should really sort themselves out.
    I wonder if it mentions this anywhere on the CD? If not would this be classed as illigal?

7. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Wow - if our little straw poll continues this way, this could be a much bigger issue than I thought.

Isn't this just one of those times where you secretly wish you were a lawyer so you could represent yourself and go and sue Sony? Shame it would take until 2012 to get a judgement, but how cool would it be to have a High Court judge bitchslap them for doing stuff like this?

Of course, you'd have to remember to take your Reality Pills every day, or you might end up like a certain someone (that I'd rather not libel right now) :D

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Easily sorted. Disable autoplay, setup another machine with a loose windows install or get some linux setup going, keep playing until you find a way to rip the tracks on that. Copy to main computer :):)

Two fingers to Sony, when will they learn that copy protection DOESNT WORK, it only encourages p2p.

9. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Yes, surely the answer is... buy album, put on shelf, download from BitTorrent?

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Active Member

Damn right! If I had the choice between letting sony's malware on my comp or just downloading it off kazaa I know which i'd choose!

Rav: I also agree with ya to an extent, I like owning a proper cd but I always keep my entire collection backed up on my HDD mainly for the reason that winamp doesn't let me use equalisation for CDDA tracks. Plus I use my mp3 player aswell most of the time so I can just transfer tracks.

11. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

lol yeah all my music is on my computer as i mess up the cd coz i leave them all over the place lol

and i'm on my computer most the time i listen to music and i'm too lazy to get up and change the cd. :hip:

put it this way i'm not going to buy any CDs from sony :eyebrow:

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

Am I the only one who Buys a CD for Car use, and Rips it for MP3 player?
    This sucks.

13. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i buy CD put on shelf and burn copy for cd and rip to pc to use :D

14. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

My Alpine in the car plays mp3 CD's so when I buy a CD its just to rip it anyway. Plus I prefer the entire collection being in one rahter much easier to access place (my HDD)

15. nookie

nookie New Member

Reading this made me more terrifyed than angry...Evereybody says "We are honest, upright, fair and we play fair by you" This article is a great reveal of the real nature and double-dealing of big corporations. Moral doesn't exist any more where money are involved...very sad, yes? :rolleyes:
    (what shoul I expect from sony in future - to be a pet - in a strictly controlled environment with cameras everywhere, without a single secret...)(its very exaggerated, isn't it? ;) )
    So knowing how to crack a code might be useful :D

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But CDs get scratched, worn, defunkt. Copy it onto your computer/digital music player and you always have the same quality, same sound, never wearing down (as long as you do it in a lossless compression). If you need to loose the files, then you just pop your as-new CD in again.
    As soon as i buy a CD i use it ONCE to copy it to my collection, then it just sits on my shelf for the rest of it's life.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Ah well, just one more reason not to buy sony records cd's. The tactics are dastardly and wrong. Any company that thinks taking up my CPU time with their crap and hiding it just isn't getting stuff bought from them.

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Problem is, if you buy your CDs online (and who wouldn't, given the savings that are to be had) you don't always get the option of reading the label, and the sites aren't always so good at telling you when a CD is corrupted.

Even the labels themselves don't always tell the whole story - that gets me because corrupted CDs aren't red book compliant and shouldn't even be allowed to carry the Compact Disc - Digital Audio logo.

Personally, when I accidentally buy a CD with corruption, it's straight back to the shop for a refund.

19. wharrad

wharrad New Member

This is wrong, I spend alot of time trying to get every % out of my CPU - and I don't want to give it to sony! I also spend ALOT of time working so I can buy CDs!

Legally, I would put money on Sony including a 'terms and conditions' thing you have to say yes to on install. I would also bet hidden somewhere in the carp it'll tell you about the malware so noone can sue them.

Doh, I'm annoyed!

20. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I'm another who purchases CDs, then rips them to HDD and stores them away for a rainy day. I prefer to purchase a CD as A: it's higher quality than a downloaded track, and B: you get the physical thing, not a 'virtual' piece of data for your money.

I stopped buying CDs religously when I couldn't rip a Chili Peppers greatest hits, as it had copy protection. It just encourages the user to download it. Copy protection on CDs is one of the biggest balls ups I know of. It has the opposite effect of what Sony etc. intended it to do...

Tags: Add Tags