1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony installs hidden malware on your machine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 1 Nov 2005.

1. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: :sigh: These people are a bunch of retards, I buy a CD burn it to my computer then my MP3 player and then put the CD in my car to listen to and it never comes into my house again. I have all my CD's on hand at all times I don't use PtoP But because they are so uptight about their music I have to pay for it with mal ware on my computer eating up all my processor time. :duh: I think sony has just lost my business on ALL of their products. :miffed: Bunch of money hungry F**kTards. :miffed:

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I like to have a physical cd too that I can rip to my mp3 player, or copy to use in my car or create mix cd's.

I dislike Sony anyway and recent events have made that grow into hate. Instead of circumventing the DRM we could just not buy this in the first place.

3. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

This is retarded. I @ uni and hell, tell me how can u put a hi-fi system into a campus room. I use the PC. And wat's wrong with ripping anyway, i wanna back things up. And in case any wonder i buy CDs cause of the sound quality, download from itunes stuff i cant find on the shelf and even paid a whole lot to places like musicgiants just to be legal and now they install malware on my pc ???

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Idiots! Is this all just a measure to make us never buy CDs again and dl stuff instead, cause it sure as hell looks like it! Having said that, it doesn't really affect me I've not bought a major label CD in years - the advantages of listening to obscure metal most of the time.

5. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

This makes me glad I switched over to downloading all my music. I think it is wrong that they do that, it makes me wonder how long it will be until they make antivirus software detect and block it. And that makes me wonder if something like that will ever be done, because sony wrote it.

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

omg dread.

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

My brother bought that exact same CD...then 2 months later bought a Zen Micro.
    After realising he couldn't rip the CD, he ended up connecting the optical out on his CD separate, to the optical in on his soundcard, and fired up Sound Forge...

Not an ideal method, but it worked.

As Bind said, copy protection doesn't work. All that's required is the ability to reverse engineer (after all, 'what can be made, can be un-made').

If I had the choice of buying a Sony copy protected CD, or illegally downloading the same album, I know which I'd choose (not that I'm condoning illegal activity - I buy all my music!)

8. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

If anything Sony's move only encourages piracy.
    All of the legit users will not take the time to rip it on their own and will go and DL the audio after someone else makes a digital copy of the disc using audio recording equipment. It only takes one person to record a CD like this and then it will spread like wildfire and will be spyware free. Where as all of those who try to go the legal way will have to each individually rip it on their own, and will have to deal with crappy software.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2005
  9. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Actually, it's probably a statement saying that you agree to the terms and conditions by opening the packaging of the CD. I'll bet that the terms and conditions are probably printed on the inside...lol

10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

if every record lable/film studio did this we would all be running with about 50% CPU utilisation the whole time, just checking we weren't doing anything "illegal" with their content. This has to be stopped it is rediculous.

I'm another of those who buys cds and immediately transfers them onto my pc for listening both while im working and while im chilling out (through a network onto media pc). As a student this means i don't have to carry my entire cd collections half way across the country every time i move home over the hols.

I really would be interested to see what the t&c are on the cd/software they get you to install to listen to the music. I could see a very big lawsuite coming on for Sony.

Put it another way, if say 20% of those who buy the cd put it in their pc and install this shite, that would be a very very large number of people (dependant on a bands popularity etc) each of those loosing 1-2% cpu usage, thats a hell of a lot of pc power being swallowed, the extra heat this produces etc the environmental effects are there too.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Just like the Windows EULA. By the time you've read it (or gotten to the point where you could, as nobody reads them anyways), you already can't return it if you don't agree.

I rip all my music to flac, but I flat-out refuse to buy ANY CD where I'm unable to rip it. I even get rather irritated at any autorun stuff on a CD... put on more decent content, not stupid crap like a link to their website. Like with DVDs, nobody gives half a crap about the "bonus features"; all they do is lower the quality of the video, as the MPEG format they use is lossy by nature. Yay Superbit. DTS, no previews, and packaging that you can open in under seven minutes without damaging the case... it's the only way to go.

Methinks bonus features have never been all they're cracked up to be.

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Does this not fly in the face of M$ digital vision with a windows server in a cupboard and a xbox streaming mp3 to the living room. Every day i it and wish i could get to grips with a full linux house!

13. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

This is exactly why I don't purchase Sony products anymore. They've been manhandling consumers for many years and I for one am weary of it.

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

My freinds and I are boycotting all sony cd's.

do the same and we might make a differance

15. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

the only good thing sony made was the good ol PSX =) everything else sux...

16. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

I dunno this has really annoyed me dunno why.

I my self don't listen to music a lot and a lot of this caused by DRM

I don't buy music from online shops because of the DRM stuff and I don't buy cds because they are a lot more exspensive. And now this has come along, ahhhh, I know I am one person, but thats a sale they lost and if lots pepole agree with me thats lots of sales they lost. By doing that they could end up loosing more than they could gain by trying to stop pircay.

Musicans are very porely paid for what they produce and the middle man gets really rich, it's a shame really, The perfect system could all be online artist directly publish there stuff for a small fee, getting rid of the need for the middle man. Pepole could then buy them. So any one couldn go main stream, my music could be there with a famous musician.

Well this seems to of turned into a rant but never mind. To me it seems sensible, though it would never happen!

17. dom_

dom_ --->

the thing i find the most interesting is they cant sell these as cds.

because they do not conform to the spec listed out for a cd to be a cd.

same applies to all copy protected cds.

if you buy a protected cd and cant rip it etc then take it back. hmv have been known to take back copy protected cds when you kick a fuss about them not being a cd.
    also some forms of copy protection degrade audio when played. which is nice.

18. idfanatic623

idfanatic623 What's a Dremel?

This really bothers me. I already get enough crap on my PC from my sisters, I dont need ne more.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I say class action lawsuit against the mother****ers.

20. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

three words "open source software" It does exactly what it says on the tin

Tags: Add Tags