1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony kills off 20GB PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

yes I do think they are heading in the right direction as long as they pass the saving onto the consumer with a single production line this should lower cost to some degree not to mention they can now put focus onto the 60gb line and possible expansion of its features. But thats just my opinion who knows if Sony will follow threw with that or not.

3. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm sure it lowers their internal production costs to an extent but I doubt the customer will see any of that. It'll probably be at least a year before we see any kind of global price drop. Honestly, I was gonna buy the 60GB model anyhoot, so no big deal to me.

4. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Financially, yes, it's a good move for Sony.

Customer wise, it's bad news and shows that the 20Gb was just an exercise in marketing (so Sony could have a entry point closer to MS's X360). A pity as, unlike the crippled Core 360, the 20Gb PS3 did offer real value. In fact, if you weren't interested in the onboard wi-fi, the 20Gb (upgradeable HDD, remember) was much, much better value than the 60Gb.

5. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Yeah but, the 60GB version is shinier than the 20GB one, so that overrules everything!

Seriously though, I hope this means the consumer can benefit from this in the future (somehow). With 20GB production costs gone they can divert it to other things. Wasn't there a rumor of them changing the 60GB drive to an 80GB drive to counter the Elite? Or did that get squashed. Either way I still wouldn't have bought the 20GB model anyways.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Makes sence, when will MS take not and dump there stupid core pack. Lets face it you need a hard drive.

Stupid sony doing a 20gb version with no HDMI but at least they realised there is no market for the cheaper version and just shows that people wont buy a car without wheels.

7. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

i dont see why the intorudced a 20gb model in the first place, if 60gb outsold it 90%, there cant hardly have been any produced, also, it wasnt released in europe so they must have had an extra production line for just a few consoles, seing as there different hardware wise :|

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

This is a bit of a moot point really, most people I know who are getting a PS3 are planning on the 60GB (which they now have no choice)
    I plan on getting a PS3 (Maybe with my uni loan?) when the prices drop.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

It makes sense to me. No HDMI and no Wi-Fi and no 60GB. Why not just spend the extra $100 bucks (over here in the US atleast) and get those features. It should also help Sony focus on that one specific console setup. By the way, Wi-Fi is so nice. My friend can take his PS3 upstairs and downstairs whenever he wants and there's no humongous CAT5 cable running throughout his whole house anymore like when we played his original Xbox.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

but at least with the crippled core you could re-build it into the same spec as the premium at a later date by simply adding the HDD and a wireless controller/headset (even if that does make it more expensive in the long run) - There is no such option with the 20GB PS3.

11. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I think this is a good move, although I do agree that there should have only been one SKU from the start. Then again, one can't discount the psychological impact of having the PS3 start at $499 instead of $599. ;)

12. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Well if they recall all the 20Gb back from the retailers to re-manufacture the mobo into premium PS3s then that'll reduce the stock on shelves in america then they'll start claiming shortages through "popularity"

13. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Woo hoo!!!! I own a collector's item!!!

Well if I didn't have a 200gig SATA drive in it already :dremel:

Tags: Add Tags