1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony-Nintendo Play Station allegedly uncovered

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

It looks genuine enough, complete with yellowing plastic that many snes' had. If it is real it's a piece of major console history and should be in a museum.

I just noticed they added a headphone jack and volume control, probably to give it a slight competetive notch against the megadrive\genesis.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Is it just me or is the 'SONY' on the control pad off-centre?

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Not as much as the controller cable. If it is a mockup/prototype not for public consumption that doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake though.

Impressive that it has HDMI: https://i.imgur.com/laaXzFe.jpg :)

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's off-centre to the cable but on-centre to the Playstation+logo below it.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That's something else, this would be nearly 10 years too early for HDMI, unless it was really cutting edge.

8. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The console is correct. Nintendo was working with Sony for a CD based add-on SNES. But a mixture of a bad license deal for using CD, where Sony was getting majority of profits, and part control of the add-on and not Nintendo, despite being their own console, and Sony asking too many questions they should not need asked on console development, and rumor that Sony was making their own console, made Nintendo cancel the deal.

Sony lost a lot because of the cancellation from Nintendo, and decided to instead of scrapping everything, they evaluated that they got enough information and knowledge to make their own for most problems, and issues, and attack in making their own. Sony PlayStation 1 was born.

Pictured look like the same console that was previously leaked back in the days of rumors of the SNES CD add-on. As you can guess it, it is obviously a dev console, hence why it isn't an actual add-on to the SNES. Could also be Nintendo wanted to have the door open to release SNES with the disk base add-on included, so that consumers don't need to buy the SNES and spend lots more money for the disk add-on, boosting market share of the CD, pushing game developers to support it.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'mma stop you there: the Nintendo Play Station was always to be launched as a standalone console. It was the SNES-CD that Nintendo worked on with Philips that was designed to be an add-on. Read Console Wars for more detail, including Olafsson's reaction during the Nintendo E3 keynote that was supposed to announce the Sony partnership and instead announced the Philips one.

11. GoodBytes

Nope. It started with Nintendo and Sony, before Nintendo tries with Phillips/ Look it up.

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

But can it run Crysis?

I'll get my coat :(

13. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

If genuine a very interesting piece of console gaming history.

14. Gareth Halfacree

D'you know what: you're absolutely right. I was misremembering. I was sure the Play Station started as a stand-alone SNES-compatible device with CD-ROM capabilities (i.e. the pictured prototype from the article,) but I just dragged down my copy of Console Wars from the shelf and it says: 'In late 1992, Sony would be releasing the Nintendo PlayStation, which would be a peripheral device that attached to the Super Nintendo and play [sic] games on CD.' (Page 134). For those who haven't read the book, the following extract is what I was alluding to in the original article - an event which took place at Nintendo's 1991 Summer CES keynote:

GoodBytes likes this.
  15. GoodBytes

Yea! I think, actually, the pictured product is the Sony Play Station which is a console Nintendo allowed Sony to produce. which was the SNES + CD add-on integrated.

For those looking at a quick summary of the whole thing, I found a nice short video on how the first PlayStation came to be:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xejMZlvJ3TU

16. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

This is a gorilla marketing campaign before the announcement by Nintendo that they have joined with Sony to design the hardware for the NX. A friend at the NSA told me about it.

17. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

My recollection is the SNES CD was intended to be sold in both expansion and integral formats, similar to the Genesis + SegaCD and Wondermega/X'Eye/CDX, or the TurboGrafX-16 and TurboDuo.

But it's been years, and few pieces of gaming history are as full of well-known misinformation as the SuperCD.

18. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I think this is a really good fake. The branding on it seems too heavily skewed to Sony and there's no way Nintendo would have let that fly!