1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: No PAL video store this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

Yes annoyed that time after time we get treated as second class users, yet are forced to pay more than the rest. Just typical. I have a ps3 purely for the blu-ray player movies / tv etc... so this feature might be appealing altho it will most likely be well overpriced.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The ability to have it transferable to the PSP is an OK idea - at least you're not totally locked down... but I'd hope that they're re-encode it on the fly (given the (supposed?) strength of the Cell processor) so that it's the right size for the PSP screen, and so that it doesn't chew up a 4GB MemoryStick as if it were free.

I'm not totally surprised by this, either. In the modern tech climate, having anything other than simultaneous worldwide release is shortsighted and rather foolish... but when have the big corporations ever seen sense before? Usually it takes something fairly major smacking them in the face to get them to change their thinking.

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

no surprise at all

5. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

not a great shock i guess.. took microsoft ages to get movie downloads to pal regions too, and if you look at all the tv american xbox owners can download aswell we are a good year behind them at least. seems like its the same old same old for both companies

6. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

when will big corps figure out its a world market, even for us 'little people'. These sorts of delays, even if legitimate, agitate customers like myself and disenfranchise them.

we already pay a premium just because we're european. and you twist the knife by delaying content, :wallbash:

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A lot of these problems can't be helped - a lot of international services have either been completely cancelled or won't arrive for a long time through legal issues. You Sony-haters should take a chill-pill, because it's not really their fault.

Would you rather have the international customers wait for us? Do you really want that kind of double standard?

8. Liquid K9

I dont remember the last time I heard of a single event where any region other than the EU had delays like this. Its clear, we are not their priority. thats what pisses me off - we are still customers. we deserve respect for that fact.

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Whats a rend?? lol :p

Anyway..Suprised? No... We had to wait fot he xbox 360 rental store for ages so why should it be any different with sony?

Only difference is that when we get the sony one, i am more than likely to use it over the xbox 360 one because of storage space. Too expensive to buy a small 120GB hard drive for the 360 and then your movie is restricted too the console.

With the PS3 we can get a much larger and cheaper drive and also back up the film on a external drive or PC if needed.

10. Romirez

Romirez What's a Dremel?

heh, no surprise. Precisely this kind of treatment that's the reason for me not having either a ps3 or a 360.
    Wouldn't be surprised to find it's the european commission that's at fault as much as sony.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

That's where you download the film and add your own CGI effects :lol:

12. rollo

rollo Modder

no shock

360 took 1 year from usa release to uk release for the downloads

dont expect to see sony do it much quicker

As mensioned above more likely to use it due to hard disk space though

13. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

"The new video store system will allow gamers (in the US that is) to rend and buy both standard and high definition films which can then be downloaded directly to the PS3's hard drive."

that would be RENT then?

14. Liquid K9

:rolleyes:

yes people, the unthinkable happened. someone published an article where the letter T was substituted by the letter D, and the world couldnt possibly understand what it was about, because there was no context.

grow up

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

No, it's our job.

Tags: Add Tags