1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony Pictures breach leads to P2P film leaks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Dec 2014.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hold on a sec, fella, you said:
    The image they posted clearly mentions a requirement for "requests" being met.

Neither you nor I mentioned proof of monetary demands.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is questionable if the hack even came from outside at all, may well have been some guy in IT who got fired and they forgot to disable all his access before telling him he was fired.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No I know, I was only asking if it was known what their demands were, as everything i have read either says no demands have been made, even though that screenshot says there has been.
    Or that those (past) demands were for ransom money or equality rights.

I'm a bit lost on if there have been any demands, or if there has not. :confused:

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

'North Korea Does Not Deny Involvement In the Sony Pictures Hack'

Attack bears hallmarks of previous North Korean hacking raids on South Korea's TV and banking systems.
    North Korea would not deny that it was involved in the recent cyber attack on Sony Pictures, with a senior diplomat issuing a rather cryptic response when asked about it, according to a BBC report.

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Sorry Gareth for not being clearer. With regards lazy journalism / rootkit it was more aimed at the countless articles I read elsewhere when the attack occured. A few claiming the rootkit as the reason. I appreciate you left all mention of the rootkit out of the article, but I did raise my eyebrow when you mentioned it in the comments.

By most "hacking" I was referring to the high profile hacks where the hackers go public. Although you're right most crackers are aimed at gaining access to your details for financial gain but these aim to remain undetected and are rarely reported on.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I understand; thanks for the clarification. (Also: I couldn't help but crack a smile at "losing knickers".)
    s/hack/crack/g. Just because the rest of the media appears to have given up the fight, I'm damned if I'm going to let those buggers ruin a perfectly good word!

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

He probably made a "cryptic response" because he has no idea if the NKs are involved or not and doesn't want to say something that might be proven wrong later. Just because someone is a government spokesman doen't mean he knows everything that his government is doing.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Good job we don't hold Royal Mail responsible for the illegal things people may use the postal system for, it would probably cost a lot more to send a letter if we had to cover the costs involved in checking every parcel or letter for things that maybe illegal.