1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony pledges three more years of PS4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

I don't get what the fuss is about.
    Both the PS4 and Xbone use regular x86 hardware, so they have both effectively given up the ability to axe backwards compatibility.
    (if they tried to lock out PS4 games from a PS5 there would be backlash like MS got when they tried to ban used games through DRM)

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

"But it's just regular PC parts, emulation should be easy!" is no more a valid argument now than it was with the original XboX.
    As we've seen with consoles throughout history, backward-compatibility between generations is the exception rather than the rule, and almost always occurs when the original hardware (or a sufficient subset of it) is included in the new hardware. "But just emulate it!" is so fraught with bugs that every occurrence of "Gen -1" back-comapt using emulation has relied on a whitelist of compatible games, and almost always with compatibility shims that need to be written per game.
    If the PS5 is designed to be globally backward compatible with PS4 games, that would put similar constraint on SoC design as were applied to the PS4 Pro. Consoles are competitive with PCs because they can ruthlessly abandon legacy components as they see fit, and implement features that could not be introduced without full control of a platform (e.g. single pooled memory).

4. Anfield

With past generations they did indeed use the approach of getting rid of old stuff, but now? Drop in Zen 3 + Navi APU in lets say 2020, change badge from PS4 Pro / XBoneX to PS5 / XBTwo, job done.

5. Hustler

Hustler Member

Haha! I always love these panicked responses that come from console makers when someone in the company has opened their mouths a little bit too much.

6. lacuna

lacuna Member

I don't know why people get so bothered about backwards compatibility. If you have a load of PS4 then it would seem reasonably likely that you would also have a PS4, so why would you need the PS5 to be able to play them? I appreciate the convenience of being able to use my PS3 to play PS2 games but it's not an essential feature and my PS2 is still in the cupboard with the original PS

7. Anfield

Because I have zero interest of keeping a by then obsolete piece of junk in the living room contributing to cable clutter.

Either way, there is no reason to do traditional generations any more, just rinse repeat the process used to go from PS4 to PS4 Pro (a.k.a. order faster APU from AMD) which avoids the issue in the first place.

8. gosh

gosh Member

vita successor ? it's one of the best pieces of propriety made hardware, it's specs blow DS's out of the water and can probably be measured closer to a switch plus it offers a lot phone gaming cannot in terms of inputs (both physical and the dual touchscreen) and library yet sony forced it to use insanely expensive memory cards (which are still horrendously overpriced), closed the cross-platform mobile game store and only developed a handful of underwhelming AAA titles for it (killzone:mercs is probably best of a bad lot) yet it has poor support for a lot of ps1 classics and hardly any ps2 games.

sony threw it under a bus as they usually do with technology they develop but market isn't ready for. could have been so much more with better backwards/cross-buy compatibility but it's still a great device for indies and niche japanese visual novels/rpg's - their ps+ subscription service kept it alive but now that's been dropped :(

all that said, never tried remote play but i'm sure it's up to playing ps4 rpg's such as battlechasers:nightwar on the bog.

9. lacuna

lacuna Member

It would only be obsolete if you weren't using it and if that's the case then backwards compatibility isn't necessary anyway

Tags: Add Tags