1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony PS3 conference a 'trainwreck'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Sep 2006.

1. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

One question I have is what percentage of consoles will be the "cheap" version at launch in Japan. Last i heard there were to be 100,000 in total for Japan at launch, so will there actually be many discounted ps3s at all?

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I can see most football players out there in the world owning one of these, as they would think its "cool".

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

That would be another big problem for Sony if they only have that many...IIRC the PS2 sold somewhere in the region of 980,000 units in its first 2 days in Japan. Only 100,000 for the first week or so would be a serious failure IMO.

4. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

And what %age of the population are professional footballers and can afford one? :hehe:

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

WTF? no way.

arent sony loosing money on each console they sell? if so why do they decrease the cost in japan?.

sony is loosing more and more terrain. it will sell like mad because it is fashion, and there will be stupid high priced PS3 being sold on EBAY on launch day, and half of those will be sold by people that own the videogame stores. easy money.

6. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Personally I think the whole price drop issue isn't really an issue at all.

Japan is getting 100,000 units at launch. Of that 100,000 units.. lets say its a 20%-60% split between the base vs. premium versions. I believe they have announced the exact numbers of what this split will be and 20/60 may be off a bit but I'm too lazy to look it up.

so 20% of them will now be sold at a discount with the 60% premiums being sold at prices dictated by the retail outlets. That means 20,000 lucky Japanese consumers will get the console at a discount where 80,000 will likely spend upwards of $1,000 USD (in yen) or likely a lot more on their 60GB versions of the PS3.

If you think about it, without the price cut the Japanese consumer is getting screwed harder than any consumer in any other region due to the open pricing of the premium unit. With the price cut, hopefully those 20,000 customers will praise the system making the other 80,000 want to take out a small loan in order to afford the premium. Sony really had no other choice.

In the end I wont be buying a ps3 for several years as I cant spend that kind of money right now. But I'd rather have locked retail pricing on both the base and premium than a cheap base with extremely limited quantities and an open pricing model for the premium systems.

I realize ps3's will end up on e-bay for outrageous prices and American and European consumers will end up spending a lot of money to get their hands on one as well, but at least us Americans have the opportunity to sit in line and try and get one at a cheaper (sad that MSRP is reffered to as "cheaper" in this instance) price. Japanese consumers dont have a chance. They pay what the store demands and I'm positive its not going to be cheap at all.

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

For ten years, all I bought was sony. Why? Well how about the fact that most of those products still work. But the last couple of years, they've not just slid downslope, they made a cliffdive. And yes, my official cutoff of all sony products was when the rootkit hit the fan. They have lost many loyal customers recently and if anything goes wrong with PS3,...well I think at this point the entire company is riding on it.

8. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

You've bought Sony for the last 10 years? Because they 'worked'?

The PS2 had the world ever failture rate of a console, did it not? With its completely dodgy lasers when it first came out 6 years ago, Sony fanboys made a song and dance about 1 or 2 360s that overheated and blew up, big deal, MS replaced them prioritiy, thousands of PS2s went to the scrap heap when it was launched, Sony have made stuff go boom ever since the launch of the PS2 and everything else has gone downhill since, damn, even my Sony erricson phones joystick is buggered :(

9. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Does that mean GTHD will sell for cheap initially? Man...I've heard of 'earning' extra content by playing well in a game...but not of having to buy major features in a game after you've already bought it.

And with regards to the PS3 selling: I think we've all underestimated the buying power of 12-17 year old "children" in the US who are spending their rich parents' money. When a teenager starts whining, and it's Christmas time, and mommy and daddy need to buy some love, many a PS3 will be bought. And just to make the rest of us feel better, the kid probably already has a 360 and at least one flat-panel HDTV, and will also be finding a Wii under the Xmas tree. Maybe he'll get a couple of each console if Mommy and Daddy are divorced and living in separate homes that have to compete for baby's love....

10. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

**tips hat to you

post of the day right there :thumb:

11. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

Exactly. And there are just as many who will not buy a PS3 just because they are so dedicated to hating Sony. I think we've got a couple here in these forums. A couple weeks ago you guys were seriously going crazy over the possibility that Sony might not be including a memory card adaptor with their console (although the 360 doesn't matter at all for some reason). Now you are mad because Sony is having a price drop in Japan and they are including an HDMI port that wasn't going to be there (Oh no! What are we going to do now?!). In fact, I'd say this site is pretty biased against the PS3, but I'm not going to keep complaining. :hehe:

...because the PC is better than any console ever will be.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

saeghwin the issue here is the amount of BS sony can produce in one day and they have now a big fat sack of BS that is about to pop and its called PS3.

as for the quality of their stuff..... its going down.... fast.
    they already suck more than Katrina.

13. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

I don't really understand what you are trying to tell me. It sounds like you are basically saying "The PS3 sucks" (hence the phrase, "...their stuff [PS3]...suck(s)... :D ).

I was talking about the outrageous hate towards Sony in general. I mean yeah, you can hate the big corporations all you want, but what's the point really. It just annoys me when people who are obviously against the whole "this company is putting out a bunch of **** to make money" scheme, and then they turn around and talk about how much better the "other" company is. I just think it's funny when Bit-Tech's articles come off so blatantly antagonistic.

For example, "Ken did let us know that the price of the console is being cut - but only the 20GB model, and only in Japan, which is great if you're, well, in Japan." Well, Sony is a Japanese company, right? And this was the Tokyo Game Show, I believe. So I imagine it was at least a little relevant. I'm not saying that the comment came off really negative, but it just sort of adds to the stagnant I-came-in-with-this-expression-on-my-face-already attitude of everyone around here.

People need to lighten up. It's just a game console after all.

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Lets see, here are some reasons to hate Sony (feel free to add any that I may have missed)...

Exploding batteries

The rootkit debacle

"You should feel priveledged that we allow you to buy the PS3"

Propriatary formats

Did I mention the rootkit debacle?

Shoddy customer service

extortive pricing

I think there was somthing about putting a rootkit on your computer

They belong to the RIAA and MPAA

My point is that yes, there are more then a few people here who hate Sony, most of them more than I do, but I would say that hatered is well deserved.

15. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Hey Cthippo:

I think you forgot to list the rootkit problem Sony had with their DRM'd-to-death CD's. That and the battery issue were probably the most public of the errors they made, I can't believe you missed it! :thumb:

16. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Then just don't buy their stuff and leave it at that. I agree with sagehwin, no need for so much hatred against a company. It's not as if they're the only member of the MPAA & RIAA or the only one with bad customer service. Infact how many companies out there have good customer service any more?

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

None that i can think off as all these companies just wnat your money and dont care about you after and it does go for Nintendo too.

Nintendo didnt want to know about my N64 when it went faulty in its first year and told me to go buy a new one,

18. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

My friend is out in japan at the moment and went to the Tokyo game show. He played on the PS3 and loved it, says hes going to buy one because it's amazing. I dunno why though..

19. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Very interesting past few days for the PS3

I have previously been one of the Playstation faithful. I was able to write off the extra features of the Xbox for one reason - the Playstation had more of the games that I enjoyed playing. That is to say, the ones I liked were the best of the genre.

While I was not considering buying a PS3 this year, the one title that still held me to being a PS3 consumer at some point is the Gran Turismo series. The news I have heard over the past few days concerning its similarity of GT4 and the absolute whoring of the multiplayer side of it has me considering whether my next console will be a M$ product.

I know it is rather ridiculous to base a several hundred dollar decsion on one game, but the fact is I still haven't seen a racing simulator as complete as GT. I hope that the backlash that will surround the PS3 launch will change this situation, but I am not holding my breath...

20. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with saeghwin, and that the amount hatred for the ps 3 on this thread is just disgusting. I dont see why people even post when all theyre doing is bashing something thats not even out yet.

Some of you say only fanboys would buy this system, but only fanboys would refuse to buy a system because they hate the company. Isnt that what being a fanboy is all about, buying or not buying products based on love or hate of a company?

I own a ps2, and a dreamcast. I hated ps2 so much when it first came out, because everyone disregarded DC for it. I eventually bought a ps2 anyway, because as many people know it stomped out sega's last console, and there were a lot of games that came out for ps2 that i wanted. If I even buy a ps3 it wont be for a while until the game library is filled out more, but I'm not gonna refuse to buy it because I don't like the company.

Tags: Add Tags