1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: PS3 will dominate market in five years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2009.

1. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

MS and Sony only see themselves as competitors, the Wii is another market entirely, the type of market that doesn't really play trad games.

Will Sony catch its competitor MS, in US probably not as there is too much of a head start but in Europe there is a good chance, they are already pretty close to each other, if it weren't for the sensationalist and inaccurate reporting from CardJoe you would see that is what is being talked about PAL territories, even with MS having a fire sale on the 360 the PS3 is still doing well and it still has plenty of titles out now and in the future that are worth buying.

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Who actually cares about those news? I for one don't.

If the 360 would have games that would be worth putting up with the crappy controls (and the RRoD issue) I'd buy one, and if the PS3 would have said games I'd buy one. But let's assume I'd have both. I surely wouldn't care about which console sells best, it just doesn't make any difference to me as a gamer. Especially not in five years. It's not like I'd see any gains from the money they (=MS, Sony) make. They aren't going to lower the royalties for the games...

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

your argument is the one thing that completley ruins fanboys everywhere lol. if only people could see it's not worth defending something like a piece of consumer electronics on the internet, since the manufacturers really don't care what you do

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

It's usually only when Sony says something crazy that people laugh. I remember Nintendo themselves saying they aren't competing with the 360/PS3 yet noone in the media has yet to call them out now since they have been comparing their sales to PS3/360 thus far in their own conferences and events.

6. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
  7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sony said themselves that the intended life span for the PS3 is 5 years before they launched it. Sooooo... please tell me again how that works out now?

8. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

"I wonder if he's banking on Blu-Ray taking off more, and positioning the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, in order to get to be "dominant"? Then again, there's nothing stopping MS from adding Blu-Ray on - in fact, they're probably just biding their time waiting for the right moment. Maybe. Who knows."

I don't see how marketing it as a Blu-Ray player is going to be much use anymore, with standalone Blu-Ray players hitting as low as around £125 at the moment, half the cost of the PS3. Seems that console redesigns gave the DS and PSP a kick in the market, as well as Sony's own PSOne and PS2 Slim, I'd say that reducing the size of the box (make it stack damnit!) and/or a cut in price is what the PS3 needs to really start flying off the shelves. I know Sony can't really afford to take the cut in the current economy, but not many consumers can afford to drop £280 at the moment either, especially when the Xbox 360 retails for £125/£160/£220 and the Wii for £180. (I'm using Play.com prices of consoles with no bundled games or extra hardware)

9. Major

Major Guest

What he is saying is not false, within 5 years, the "less techy" market will buy PS3s and therefore it will dominate the "last gen" market, like how the PS2 is apparently selling like hot cakes because they are cheap as chips, less techy people don't understand PS2 vs PS3, and it still has awesome games with decent graphics.

Funny comment I have to say, but it's true.

Whatever the PS4 is going to be, they need too look at costing, but I think the reason the PS3 is a little steeper in price is because of BR? And when the next console is released (if it is a console), they will be cheap to buy anyway.

10. perplekks45

Making the PS3 smaller might be hard for Sony to pull off as that might lead to having some overheating problems. And I bet Sony is still laughing about MS... silently. ;)

11. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

"PS3 will dominate market in five years":rolleyes:

Five years or less from now people move on to a new and better thing.

12. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

doest anyone realise how long the PS2 has been here. by saying a 10 year shelf life doesnt meanwithin that 7/8th year the PS4 will not be out. im assuming it will, and the ps3 will be like the ps2 then, cheap and god of war to carry it :D

13. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I'm guessing Sony has just given up on next-gen wars, and they want to take the last-gen market like the PS2 has. :p

14. perplekks45

To achieve that there's just one small thing Sony has to do:

Release a PS3 with FULL backwards compatibility... WORLDWIDE!

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

come on

I loved my sony PS1 and PS2 but when the PS3 came out, I wasn't impressed. I didn't need a Blu-ray all I wanted it for was for gaming. And the price was enough to turn me away from it even more

There's now way they will even come close to holding the market

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

if they were to drop the price to be equal to the 360 it would outsell it by far and possibly be on par with the wii. Until they can drop the price their sales are going to be just a little lower than the 360. And to me, who do I care? Sure it's be great if it'd start selling like crazy and dominate. But I can't play sales. Not sure about everyone else but playing sales has never been fun for me. As long as the games I love are still being made and no games on the other 2 consoles interest me, I'm perfectly happy with the PS3 selling as little as it is. And right now, that's exactly what happening. The only games I care about are on PS3 so who cares if it's not selling?

Those Sony execs need to stop making fools out of themselves. In 5 years PS4 will be out and I wont care about the PS3 anymore!

Tags: Add Tags