1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: PSP piracy levels are sickening

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

are they considering every PSP with a custom firmware as a 'pirated' machine? they don't really talk about numbers or where they came from so, it's hard to take them seriously. i had a PSP with a custom firmware and never once pirated a PSP game. i used it for emulators and ebook reading.

3. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Doesn't seem to be the case with the DS, despite the DS having a major piracy problem.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Go DAX! :D

I find it sickening that Patapon 2 is exactly the same as Patapon, save different (essentially the same) levels and a strange levelling up system that adds nothing.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Their biggest problem is charging £30 or so for a badly-ported, out of date game. That's why piracy is so rife. The number of titles which are worth spending release prices on are miniscule.

6. proxymoron

proxymoron What's a Dremel?

Boogle, I'd argue that the reason the DS is doing well in terms of software sales despite the piracy is that the range of people who own DSes is far broader than those who own PSPs - and those people are the ones who are the ones doing the pirating.

Many older people and children wouldn't know it was possible to pirate, much less do it, and these are areas where the DS has sold much higher than PSP, which has predominantly sold to young, tech-savvy males - the people I would imagine were most likely to mod and pirate.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..They'd probably say the same about any piracy at all.

Of course, the PSP isn't helped by having mediocre, at best, games.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

They should drop the stupid UMD platform and make games cheaper and easier to buy. They need to implement a system like the iPhone app store/Steam for the PSP and allow games to be downloaded onto the device. Charge less for the game over the digital distribution platform and you're bound to increase sales.

9. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

yep, just shovelware arriving for what is just a cut PS2.

To be honest the people that I do know that have one of these PoS only use it for long journeys to watch tv shows or movies, as i can do that with the DS now using DSVideo most can't see the reason for the PSP anymore.....

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I can never be tired laughing at the "one (pirated) download == one lost sale" mantra...

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I bought a PSP so I could play all my emulators. NES, Sega Gen & SNES.

12. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

And they still think DRM can reduce piracy. It's price/quality what matters. But they'll keep pouring money into worthless technologies instead...

13. fodder

fodder Minimodder

If they were to release their own torrents into the wild with a bricking firmware then problem solved. If 10% of pirated software bricked your psp then would you take the chance?

Of course, Sony can't do that as they would be sued. What a strange world where the criminal has more rights than you.

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Anti-piracy measures are not the solution. Piracy is not a problem, but more of a symptom. When developers start making us want to buy their games because we consider them excellent value, and when they stop pumping out **** and then blaming pirates for terrible sales, we will finally start to see piracy decline.

Just look at the Steam statistics that Valve released not long ago. The results are shocking and go against everything that every other major company keeps spewing out of their ass when it comes to sales and piracy.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i hacekd mine but that was primerily to load all the previous versions of the PSX emulation engine via POPS, yeah the psp has a lot of "meh" games but who can beat playing the original FF7 or SoulEdge whilst on the move?

16. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I only have two games for my PSP - Lego Star Wars and Burnout somethingorother.

I don't really play it much, but I've never seen any more games that I want to get for it. Patapon looked promising, but after playing it for 30 minutes at a friends house I quickly lost interest, and never bought it.
    LittleBigPlanet may get a look in, only because I haven't got a PS3. Depends on how good it is really.

17. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've got quite a few games for my PSP - mostly they're things like Disgaea: AOD, Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Breath of Fire 3, Crisis Core... but I only buy them when they're cheap. I've never installed custom firmware or anything like that.

For the most part, though... I look at the games catalogue on the PSP, and am monumentally unimpressed. Every game I've tried on the PSP outside of the JRPGs has left me wishing I'd never bothered.

18. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

+1

19. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Maybe people only bought a PSP because they could pirate games.

The PSP would be a lot less appealing if you could not pirate the games, PS3 for example?

You can't pirate games on the PS3 and the sales of the console are poor. You can on an XBOX360 and sales of the console are probably double the PS3.

This ringing any bells anyone?

20. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

S'pose it'll depend on how faithful it is to the PS3 version.

Even so, whilst LBP *looked* very pretty, it's really nothing more than a puzzle/platform game - all very 'meh' really.
    Or, if you prefer, how you felt about Patapon is very much like how I felt about LBP.

All that said, I know a couple of people who absolutely love LittleBigPlanet - YMMV.

Tags: Add Tags