1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: PSP piracy levels are sickening

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Apr 2009.

1. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Thank god for piracy, otherwise companies would have to actually own up to the fact that maybe they make substandard products. Just blame piracy, and keep your head stuck in the sand!

Ask legitimate PSP owners who don't pirate, how often they use their machine, and what games they are excited about? Many of them would give you answers of disappointment, which have nothing to do with piracy.

The PSP is awkwardly positioned between the more powerful home consoles, and the more portable DS. With games that feel more at home on the console, often requiring you to be at home on the couch (if you're already at home, why not play a console game on the TV then?). Or lower battery performance and games that don't necessarily suit playing for 5-10minute chunks on the bus, on the move, etc.

The machine has done pretty decent all things considered, but blaming piracy is a convenient scape goat. If you really wanted to go all hyperbole on the situation, you might say that the "pirates" are the only ones using their PSPs at all ;)

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

They do? Ive donwloaded a couple of games from the PSN store onto my PSP using its own interface or a PC.

Sony are dropping the UMD because they are going to release every PSP game on the Playstation Store.

I hate the idea of digitial distribution to become the norm. Think about it, you got steam, xbox live and PSN. Where is the compotition to bring prices down??? you can go from store to store in the highstreet and find the same game at different prices because there is competition. Digital distribution means that a £40 retail game can stay at £40 for a lot longer because you cant get it anywhere elese.

PSN have reduced prices and also increased them. Xbox live has started to do a weekly offer but it is not enough. If all games go to digital distribution, then game developers will have to expect less sales that there were at retail.

3. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

To be fair, is there any decent PSP games? imho, not really.
    The only reason i havn't sold mine yet is that i play all my old PSX games on mine with custom firmware.

And also, just because people download it from torrent site's, does not mean they are pirating.
    I download ISO sometimes of my own games as it can be quicker to do so, this is just inaccurate data.

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

That sir would be illegal, as not all users will be pirating.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Plenty of good titles on PSP that are pirated and a PSP games RRP is never a reason to deride it as you can nearly always buy them at half the price online, prices are comparable to the peoples favorite the DS.

I admit mine doesn't get a lot of use as I don't travel loads and as I have a PS3 there is a lot of stuff that is the same.

That said with the release of the go and a few new titles I decided to dust it off and I've played nothing else for a couple of weeks now.

Motorstorm is quality (once you get through a few rounds and the AI levels up that is )
    Gran turismo is quite nice too if your a GT fan like myself.
    Soul Calibre is awesome
    I also picked up a few minis for a couple of quid and have been quite happy with them Suduko, tetris (yes old but still playable) and pinball.

My only regret really is that I really got into FIFA10 whilst playing PSP and my thumb hurts, wish I got it on the PS3 instead but I never as I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much being a PES man. :eek:

Its a good bit of kit and it has good games, its problem is that a lot of people don't want to pay for them, whether they are £30 or £10, it wouldn't actually matter would it, the people who pirate will continue as they have done on all other platforms with piracy issues, price is never a factor in this case just an excuse.

Some PSN prices aren't too bad and they do have offers, when you take into account you can buy PSN cards with 22% off is not that bad at all, cheaper than Amazon for example, Some of the Sony stuff isn't badly priced but the other publisher like EA take the piss.

Biggest con I find with the PSP is the Memory Stick, sooner Sony move to SD card the better, It'd be much more convenient with 32Gb card inside what with a lot of games being over 1Gb. How much are 16gb MS duo, shocking!

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
Tags: Add Tags