1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony to reintroduce PS2 emulation on PS3?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jun 2009.

1. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

You're unlucky all my jprgs and other ps2 games work just fine, BC was updated a few times when did you last try them, not had a single game fail, I think the 60gb PS3 software/hardware BC is superb.

Only game I can recall with an issue was GT4 which showed a small discoloured map in the corner but was still playable and PES6 but that got fixed with an update.

I panicked and bought a new PS2 to replace the one I sold to get PS3 when I heard BC was apparently gimped for UK but in a couple of months I had tested all my titles and sold my PS2 again, no need for it, games looked better through PS3 on HDTV.

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Ah, OK... Disgaea works but has some odd corruption issues at times, Disgaea 2 will load the menus but the colours are screwed up and it crashes after a while. Makai Kingdom won't even load for me. I'm not using a recent firmware, though - whatever was on the disc for Eternal Sonata. My PS3 isn't online, so I don't really bother about keeping it up to date unless I buy a new game that needs an updated firmware. (That thinking has served me well overall - I've avoided most of the issues that people experienced early on with Assassin's Creed or GTAIV, for example...) Last time I tried 'em wasn't a good experience so I stopped trying and stayed using my PS2. I know that one works. ;)

I've played Disgaea 3, but for some reason keep going back to 1 & 2 as they seem way more addictive.

3. Narishma

Narishma New Member

It's not just you. I don't care about BC either. If I want to play older games I use older consoles. Especially if those consoles can be had on the cheap ($99 for a new PS2 or less than $50 for a used one).

4. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Can't comment on the other title mentioned but Disgaeas were fine with no probs that I can recall, if Sony do reintroduce BC then they are likely to update it further, though my guess is its primary focus will be to buy titles off of PSN than play disc based so publishers will likely cherry pick (different version of same game released in europe can be more compatible than others strangely) or tune a version for resale.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

To me B/C doesn't matter at all. I played Socom 3 for a short while as I had few PS3 games. Once I got more PS3 games I never went back to a PS2/PS1 game ever again.

But if they are going to bring B/C back that'd be great for those who do like it. It is being speculated by Ars Technica that the PS3 will be having a price cut this year and bringing the PS3 Slim ( I think it will be called PSthree ). http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/mole-exclusive-ps3-360-price-drops-coming-this-fall.ars

Ars Technica supposedly has a mole inside Sony and MS. So far Ars Technica has been 100% correct about all their predictions. Hope they are right this time too.

Maybe the B/C will be for the slim ps3. But I wonder if maybe they are going to have PS2 games on the PSN store for download and thats how the B/C will work. Not for discs but for downloadable ps2 games?

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I would like PSOne and PS2 full emulation support, that would be sweet ^_^

7. ssj12

ssj12 Member

I understand why Sony wont announce it. Emulating the GSX is going to be an absolute pain in the ars. It is an incredibly strange GPU. Each game will have to be individually recoded.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Thats a change, sony adding something. Will we see usb and card slots reappear? Wasn't backwards compatability removed due to cost? I tend to console game when Ive friends over. The wii handles guitar hero/rockband and wii niche games and even the parents like to play. Still nothing beats 4 player deathmatch in timespitters. Every now and again I would still play the odd level from the Hitman series, GTA series, timesplitters, ssx, project eden. Alone not a major decision breaker, but I like all the bells and whistles. Good work sony.

9. Aracos

Aracos New Member

Hmm how come? I play on my wii sometimes through my Dell 2209WA and I can play both PAL 50Hz GC games and 60Hz GC games, only problem I have with it is that whites are extremely glarey, I have no idea why =\

Also PS2 emulation is getting pretty good now, any decent core 2 duo or phenom II can emulate them well IIRC, by the time they decide to give the go ahead for PS2 emulation on PS3's it might already be too late as we're all on our PC's playing with PCSX2 XD

Tags: Add Tags