1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vaio Blu-ray Media Center

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 19 Oct 2006.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I have a Sony Trintron GMD Something or other that has very high resolutions (think Dell 30" LCD and it's a little higher than that) 24inch widescreen and I was wondering if HDTV will play on it? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about either getting an xbox 360 or a PS3 this christmas (or summer) and I'll probably go with the 360 if i cant play HD.

2. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

As far as I knew I thought the 2407 only supported HDCP encoded upto 720p. Or at least thats what this led me to believe.

3. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

been selling those at pc world unless this is the newer one

4. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

i love sony vaio euip but thats way tp pricey man but sony is always over priced i would prefair to build my own i love the case tho would be nice if they was sold separate !

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Does WMP count as third party software? It tries to play DVDs, though TBH it does a piss poor job of it.

6. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

We just started setting up a Demo of the samsung BD player and a Samsun 1080p DLP TV. the video though it claimed it was a 1080p BD looked like it was hooked up with composit video cables. we were using a high end Monster HDMI Cable. it wasnt even close to underwhelming, it was downright disapointing. where i could see it being decent on a 24" screen on the 57"DLP it was just horrid. i had hopes that it would look good.

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I see nothing great about it. Too expensive, probably even for some enthusiasts even. Too much encryption crap and I cant even see the difference in quality because of it. And isnt HD just upconverted DVD for now?

And if swat is the best then you must have a very limited selection, what are some of the other "gems" on the list?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Iirc #7 bundled with xp couldn't but I have never tried future versions for dvd compatibility.

9. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

Media player will play DVD's but only if you've installed an MPEG decoder, this way MS still dont have to pay a license to anybody.

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

If licensing is an issue, then ^^ this is how Vista should play Blu-Ray. To the end user, you install a software player and then it is able to play BD seamlessly in media center. None of this "launch an external application" nonsense.

11. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

50 first dates?

Underworld Evolution?

XXX?

I know...it's depressing

I'm only half serious though. The Amazon.com list of BD launches so far isn't that bad. Reservior Dogs, Crash, Terminator I & II, Saw, Total Recall and Ice Age aren't bad to start with...

12. Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San What's a Dremel?

Don't be a nit-wit - honestly all this Sony bashing recently is daft.

HDCP - Nothing to do with Sony and Nothing to do with Blu-Ray. HDCP is content protection that can be used on any HD signal that goes over either HDMI or DVI.

Also - no one has turned on the HDCP checking flag yet - not even this Blu-Ray copy of SWAT - the reviewer did something wrong when they tried to playback without the HDCP. It hasn't been turned on because most people are still using Componrent connections to view HD - they wouldn't work with HDCP as they are analogue (although almost as good as HDMI)

Sigh.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That shouldn't be a problem with HDDVD that is encoded into VC1 since MS co-designed that as an extension of the WMV-HD codec iirc.

My memory isn't as good as it used to be.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i will wait untill there is a hybrid drive out there that is cheap or until one of these formats dies.

15. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

But it is true! I just read it somewhere. on this page... :D

Never admit you're lying. Just provide someone else as your source.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

:p

17. jeff_vs

jeff_vs What's a Dremel?

As an HTPC user, I am a big fan of that slot loading Blu-Ray drive. I've been trying to find an HD-DVD drive just like it, but nothing yet.

More importantly, I want one of those slimline CD to SATA adapter boards. That's damn cool. I tried to google for one, didn't search too hard, but couldn't find anything like it. If anyone could help me find one I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'd be interested to see if this unit has got some variant of Dolby Live or DTS connect. Most HTPC users like to hook up their computers to their amps via toslink (like me). Without Dolby Live or DTS Connect you loose the surround sound when playing games (except for the EAX problem). Since this has an optical out, it would be good to take advantage of.

Nuts to the dummies at Microsoft for that HDCP oversight in Media Center. Does this apply to HD-DVD as well?

Jeff

18. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

I got my Sony Vaio VGN-AR11S Laptop a few months ago and it has been flawless
    Apart from having all the connectors in the world on it(ok it has lots) the BD player has been brill,i even connected it to a 1080p Sony TV and it all worked fine and was impressive
    Well not the BD movies i have ,as they don't seem to be native 1080p, but my "View from space" BD is 1080 and the display was impressive

I wanted a top of the range laptop and paid less than £1800 for it,the premium of around £300 for the 1920X1200 screen and HDMI connector and the BD dual layer re-recordable player(with NO region coding restriction) was well worth it

Tags: Add Tags