1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Sony X black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peteone, 28 Jan 2006.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well Im in the market for a new latpop and was perhaps looking to get a sony vaio. Does anyone know anything about sonys X black screens? Are there any drawbacks with this type of screen? Shelf life, battery life etc?

Also, Im looking at alternatives to sony which use this type of screen but Im not sure what the actual name for it is?
    Is the name "x black" a trademark of sony or would other brand laptops be using this name too?

Cheers peeps :thumb:

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Its a trademark, not a standard, and you won't find it on other laptop brands. Although I believe there are quite a few technologies that mimic X-black, or are designed to be the same.

Drawbacks are the picture isn't as accurate as a regular monitor, and the reflections are aparently way worse on it. Positives are that it looks purdy, and..thats it really.

3. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

it IS pretty, but you should still get a mac.

AH

4. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Cheers specofdust, Ive read about the reflection thing and can probs live with that, when you say not as accurate as a regualr monitor I take it your talking about CRT?

AH, I had the first TI powerbook when it first came out and had no end of trouble with it and swore Id never get another one. Plus I wanna run 3ds max on my lappy :thumb:

5. seebul

seebul Minimodder

DONT GET A SONY VAIO, anything but a sony vaio!!!!!

ibook G4 :D

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Its hard to explain the innacuracy thing, but basicly, it'd be alot harder to get the colours on the screen the same as the colours on a picture you printed of the same picture, then it would be with a regular monitor, and by that I mean any non X-Black type tech LCD, so most LCDs and all CRTs. The display isn't accurate to the input, and wont be, but it'll look very nice. Personally, if relfection isn't an issue I'd go for it :)

Also, ignore the mac lovers, they crawl outta their hole any time they think they can make someone spend twice on as much on something just to get it in white.

edit: Ok, well, this pretty much says I've been talking bullpoop, but better you understand it and me be slightly embarressed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-black

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Get the Vaio - much nicer than any mac! (/me awaits the flaming) :thumb:

8. peteone

peteone Minimodder

That seems to imply the X-black is supposed to be anti reflective but everthing ive read says that when the screen brightness is turned down there is a problem with reflection on the screen. Apart from that it seems to be great, very bright with beter viewing angles. Ive also read somewhere that it actualy uses 2 lamps so Im a bit supprised that this does not have an adverse effect on the battery.

Heres an .swf animation that explains exactly how it works in great detail lol http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/FlashDemo/xbrite/XBRITE_V51.swf

Cheers for the help chaps

9. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Watch what your saying Eek therel be no trouble round here lol:thumb:

10. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

The sony screens do look very impressive in the flesh (well, plastic and wires), but are very annoying if you have any kind of light source behind you. I've also heard that the colour reproduction of the Sony screens is not as good as it could be, but I don't think it's a problem caused by the X-black, and has probably been fixed as I heard it from a review of an earlier monitor.
    I think I have seen Toshiba laptops with a similar reflective surface, but it is not called X-black (a Sony trademark).

11. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

I would say the anti-reflective idea was guff, I have one, and it reflects like a mofo.

However it is a much nicer display to watch movies on, black is REALLY black, rather than grey. However if you are anything like me and actually use the laptop for work. I would get one without Xblack, as hinted in the wiki entry, you can get eyestrain from them, because, you guessed it, the reflections.

I seem to keep being distracted by them, especially on the train where they move.

12. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

haha.

a) My PowerBook is silver, thanks.
    b) If you don't want a Mac, you've either already got one or you don't get it. My entire lifestyle has undergone a paradigm shift since getting it, it makes EVERYTHING so much easier (except running PC-only shareware, which I've got my PC for). My PC is a lot more powerful than my Mac, I still haven't used it for more than half an hour since I got the Mac in October.

AH

13. Er3l

Er3l Guest

Sony VAIOs are much better than any Mac, with Windows XP SP2 :D. Windows is the best and it will always rule supreme over Macintosh :baby:.

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Ok I've used numerous laptops with numerous screens, X-Black like Toshiba's CSVII (Asia Only) is basically an Ultra Bright Dual Lamp display emitting 250-280 Nit of Luminance coated with an Transrelective screen to create higher contrast ratio and better Color Saturation.
    The result is well phenonminal, once you go there you just can't go back.
    A common comparison most regular simgle Lamp LCD's for Laptops have luminance range of 180-200 nit these Dual Lamp High Contrast Displays give you an average of 80 nit boost. Which is the key in achieving something close to true black on an laptop LCD.
    Most laptop LCD, cannot show true black but rather variations of grey, this becomes evident when watching any DVD that contains many dark night scenes, as you begin to loos texture due to contrast limitations, the X-Black, or CSVII eliminate this problem with it's high powered Dual Lamp Function at optimal brightness these displays will look something close to a minature Plasma Screen TV.
    The Draw Back is the high power consumption, a X-Black or CSVII Display eats up about 30% more battery than most conventional displays with the displays on Max Bright they will not even run long enough to show a complete movie on DVD.
    But be careful many companies now are lying about there technology a lot of Laptop manufacturers are simply replacing the traditional Matte Finished LCDs with an Transreflective Coating and calling it X-Bright or whatever, the truth is only an Dual Lamp LCD Coated with Trans Coating can be truely considered an X anything. Other wise all you have is a annoying reflective finish.
    My personal suggestion when buying a laptop ask them the Nit count of the display anthing below 200 is not a true XBright.

Personal Experience
    The following brands stack up like this from the best to worst
    1) Sony XBrite or X-Black - Displays TrueColor at a wopping 250-280 nit with perfect reflective coating. The dual lamps do it's job the Sony Laptops that carry the Xbrite logo are the real deal almost like minature plasma screen TVs.

2) Toshiba CSV I or TrueBrite (Clear Super View) - Displays TrueColor at 220 nit with a good reflective coating. It's also dual lamp lit but the craftmenship is poor Toshiba what do expect. You can see color hot spots near the bottom of the display, but still a true high contrast LCD.
    P.S CSV II is 260 nit with superior color and contrast no hot spots but is only available in Asia

3) Samsung ClearView - Looks about the same as the Toshiba's but without the hot spots so thats makes it better than the Toshiba's right. Well yes but Samsung Laptops look gay.

4) HP Bright Display, comes in single lamp at 180 and dual lamp at 220, I've never seen the dual lamp but there single lamp is quite good.

5) Acer's Crystalbrite aka Crystalcrap - Displays poor low contrast and colors at 180-188 nit and it's only single lamp lit. The coating is glossy but its fake, the cheap skatess at Acer just slapped on a coating on top of their regular LCD displays and decided to call it a high contrast display. At maximum brightness it doesn't even reach half the beauty of the Sony Xbrites. Beaware this poor excuse for a Bright LCD is even on the Ferrari Edition laptops

Remember due to companies lying about there product no company actually puts there LCD's nit count on the box it's sort of like a hidden attribute they will only tell you if you ask and you can only tell if you compare. I've taken the guess work out for you guys. Remember this any company who has the ballz to place the Nit Count right on there Laptops Specs is selling you the real deal.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2006
  15. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I have only seen these screens in passing but the Sony X-Black displays running at their full brightness look very, very pretty. The image is incredibly vibrant and high-contrast. However the do tend to reflect like a mirror, so running at low brightness to save battery power makes them pretty bad screens to work with.