1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony's PlayStation 4 Slim leaks ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Aug 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Main Scratcher

Main Scratcher What's a Dremel?

The box of the console shown on NEOGAF shows that the console supports 220v-240v. Do you think that it actually features a universal PSU, meaning that, like with Playstation 3 & 4, it actually supports 100v-240v?, although I cannot remember if this is written on any of the console boxes?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

S'a good question. It certainly seems odd to launch a product in 2016 that doesn't support 110V-240V, 'cos switch-mode power supplies operating from a wide voltage range is by no means new technology, but a quick few minutes on Google Images has turned up exactly nothing in the way of pictures of the *back* of a current PS4 retail box.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

There's a good chance that it is only 220-240v for most and 110v where required. The Xbox is done in such a way as well. It's a rather frustrating thing and it cost me $70 USD to buy a new power adapter for mine ... but so be it. That's still cheaper than buying a new console, I suppose. :)

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No optical out? Come on, Sony! Guess they thought they didn't need it anyway as they already decided CD playback was something the PS4 didn't need to do... :rolleyes:

Well, I will wait for Neo and Scorpio before I decide whether or not to upgrade. Most likely I will just wait for the next generation proper.

6. Gareth Halfacree

That still frosts my gears. Seriously, Sony? No Red Book support? The Sega Mega CD could play audio CDs, for gawd's sake - and at £300 a console I don't think the fractions of a pence a licence would cost you is going to bankrupt the company.

7. Main Scratcher

Main Scratcher What's a Dremel?

I have the first Japanese 60GB PS3 model that came with Super Audio support. Wasn't this feature removed entirely for the European batch, or did it came together at first there as well? I have quite a few Super Audio CDs but the PS3 had no analogue multichannel output so could only listen in stereo :(

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yep, that was removed from the second European batch, as far as I remember. Sony is ... well, Sony.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No retail box here either, but on the bottom of the (UK purchased) PS4 itself is a black on black sticker that says 220 - 240V as well.